Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scott Parker Retires

Just announced on SSN.

Oh the memories.

I personally think his best years was when he was at west ham. Good luck to him hope he stays in the game.

Comments

• Good luck to him.
  • Absolutely idolised him. Great career but I'm sure the inevitable debate will ensue. I've never been a bigger fan of a player, possibly due to my age at the time. I'm sure he can look back on his career with pride.

Completely the same, was about 11-12 when he was in his prime with us and I never loved a player like I loved him at the time.
  • Great goal in a 1-2 win at Leeds , one of personal favourite away trips given the boozey Leeds fan we gave a lift to.
  • Sponsored links:

• great player silly move to chelsea - but he learnt from it got a bit of stick of us as fans, but dont think many wouldnt wish him well.
  • Easily the best player I have seen play for us, he had everything, shame other clubs utilised the negative side of his game more than the creative running side. His rise coincided with demise of one of my all time favourites Kinsella.
  • Best player I've seen play for us. Was silly going to Chelsea but managed to recover his career at West Ham and Spurs.
  • He was no Zheng Zhi to be fair to the lad, but Zhi was the next closest player i terms of play style we've had since he went.

Does anyone think his son Murphy is named after Danny?
  • My fave player ever at Charlton, do not begrudge him like some others. Best of luck to him for the future
  • Dazzler21 said:

He was no Zheng Zhi to be fair to the lad, but Zhi was the next closest player i terms of play style we've had since he went.

Does anyone think his son Murphy is named after Danny?

If he is a chunky lad it might be after the alcoholic beverage.
  • Great player, the days of him and Jensen running a midfield where the best football of the last 30 years.

Going to Chelsea may have been the wrong move but he's had a good career at the top level.

Be interesting to see what he does next. No doubt he's a good friend of Robinson so he could be back before we know it :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:

Great player, the days of him and Jensen running a midfield where the best football of the last 30 years.

Going to Chelsea may have been the wrong move but he's had a good career at the top level.

Be interesting to see what he does next. No doubt he's a good friend of Robinson so he could be back before we know it :wink:

Has one of Robbo's "celebrity guest coaches" written all over it.

Class player. As many have said probably the best I've seen for CAFC
  • Poor Cristiano had to go to spain after this treatment (how old does the video quality make you feel?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjyDDTMbnEY
  • edited June 2017
    I never thought a player leaving could hurt more than when Wide Tie Boy left us but then these melon farmers sold Yann.

It's a measure of how much I loved Scotty P and how great some of the memories he left were that I got over it and have always wanted to see him do well.

He was our N'Golo Kante and he could have been Chelsea's but they wasted him and stalled his career. He was good enough to play for any of the top sides in England but he chose, or was offered, the wrong option in Chelsea. I think he'd have played more games in his correct position at Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool. Should have more England caps too.

Enjoy your retirement Scott, maybe we'll see you back at the Valley as one of KR's celebrity cameo coaches.
  • Probably the best Charlton player I've seen in 50 years of supporting the club. When he left for Chelsea he went from hero to zero.
    But that was a long time ago time to forgive and wish him well for the future
  • I don't know how to feel about Scott Parker.

I was ten when he left Charlton - perhaps at the very nascent stages of my obsession with football - and absolutely devastated when I found out he was leaving. I would be more devastated in years to come when the reasons for his doing so became apparent. And for that, there is a certain amount of dislike in there.

If he'd stayed...

But yet, I can't really blame him. Chelsea were offering him a ridiculous deal, more money than most footballers would be coming close to - a lot more than Charlton could ever offer - and they were going to go and win things. That's probably something that Parker felt he could never achieve at Charlton, so he did the right thing for his career in one regard.

Also - what a bloody good player, and there were some fantastic memories in there. I don't think I can fault the way he played for us.

Certainly the best home-grown player I've seen us produce, and maybe one of the best ever players to have worn the shirt.

Hope he has a smooth transition from playing into whatever he decides to do next.
  • Not so much wanting to leave because he was offered more money at a different employer because we would all take it but you at least have to show some proffesional attitude towards your old employer after being made that offer by the new employer. You don't just spit your dummy out. If he had given his all in that period for us then moved on then we would say good luck more willingly.
  • Top player imo - never really held a grudge over his move to Chelsea, just thought maybe he should've waited until the end of the 03/04 season

One memory for me was when West Ham came to the Valley in a night game, don't think it was the 4-4, and in the first minute he and Bowyer went for a ball on the touchline of the covered end half, West stand side. Parker nailed Bowyer, took the ball and Bowyer ended up going over the hoardings