Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Union Flag

First off, congratulations to the 4 x100 m guys and girls for winning medals in the World Championship. Had a couple of qu D on the boys winning.

However, they draped themselves in Union Flags, some of which were upside down. This does annoy me for some reason.

I pointed this out to Mrs Addickted and suggested it should be part of the National Curriculum that children are taught the correct way the flag should be flown.

She suggested that I was a sad miserable old git and should just celebrate our success.

I know I'm right :-)

Comments

• Two things

Firstly you're totally correct about the position of the flag . Secondly it annoys me when they have the flag with that crappy blue instead of the darker blue.
  • Addickted said:

First off, congratulations to the 4 x100 m guys and girls for winning medals in the World Championship. Had a couple of qu D on the boys winning.

However, they draped themselves in Union Flags, some of which were upside down. This does annoy me for some reason.

I pointed this out to Mrs Addickted and suggested it should be part of the National Curriculum that children are taught the correct way the flag should be flown.

She suggested that I was a sad miserable old git and should just celebrate our success.

I agree, it irrationally irritates me as well. But to be a pedant it's not upside down, it's back to front. Upside down would still be correct :-)
  • This forum is full of philistines
  • No other nation has their flag held back to front.
  • More importantly was it the 1:2 ratio flag or the 3:5 upstart ?
  • Sponsored links:

• UNION JACK.
  • CAFCsayer said:

UNION JACK.

No, Union Flag is correct.

As Harry Lime says, Stratford is on land
  • I'm as proud Brit as you will find, but I doubt I could tell the difference if someone was holding the flag upside down or not, and certainly wouldn't get narked by it
  • Best you don't find out. I couldn't really care less about flags, but once you know what's wrong, you'll notice it all the time. If you are vaguely OCD, it'll ruin your life. I can spot an upside down union flag from miles away
  • McBobbin said:

Best you don't find out. I couldn't really care less about flags, but once you know what's wrong, you'll notice it all the time. If you are vaguely OCD, it'll ruin your life. I can spot an upside down union flag from miles away

But do you go and find out if they are in distress? or just think, bollocks they've just got their flag upside down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thank god that this has been brought to the attention of the uneducated masses.
  • McBobbin said:

Best you don't find out. I couldn't really care less about flags, but once you know what's wrong, you'll notice it all the time. If you are vaguely OCD, it'll ruin your life. I can spot an upside down union flag from miles away

Upside down is the same surely?
    Still has thick white band at top left.
    Back to front, that's a different story.
  • MrOneLung said:

McBobbin said:

MrOneLung said:

McBobbin said:

If you rotate it so it's upside down then you're right. But if you flip it upside down then it's wrong - and if you're flying the flag from a flagpole (also assuming you've got attachments on one side to fix it to a flagpole) - flipping it is the only way to fly it upside down.
  • Addickted said:

What about all those smaller countries making hybrid flags from our well designed unique and historic flag? Bloody loads of them. Total lack of imagination.
    We should of copyrighted it.
  • I'm as proud Brit as you will find, but I doubt I could tell the difference if someone was holding the flag upside down or not, and certainly wouldn't get narked by it

You should be tried for treason!
  • CAFCsayer said:

UNION JACK.

Back to school for you lad!!
  • Do other nations name there flags.
    Stars and stripes-usa
    Tricolour- France.

Are there others?

Saltire - Scotland