Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is social media, mobile phones and the internet the new God?

Came across this today, I know it's a bit old now but it seems so relevant.

As much as I like technology to a degree, we all seem so completely obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else. You only have to look at the way people look endlessly at their phones every second, as if there's going to be some incredible happening / story that just can't wait and needs to be absorbed right now, at this very minute. And how people go out with friends for coffee or drinks or a meal but spend the whole time looking at their f ing mobiles!

Don't get me wrong, I'm equally the same, well hopefully not as bad as you lot. I don't really do Fuckbook or Twatter but it's Instagram for me, it's almost a need for validation from other people to acknowledge I exist.

I mean honestly, it's quite obscene, isn't it?

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/07/17/consume-consume-consume-with-the-false-promise-of-happiness/

Comments

• What a pile of crap.

Religious fear mongering pretending to be science.

• No, they are not.
  • If my friends sat looking at their phone the entire time we were out, they wouldn't be coming out with me again.
  • I think it's going to go the other way. I gave up Facebook long ago. For the most part, that site is self indulgent tripe. Instagram is okay but again I think it's a bit like Facebook, people tripping over themselves to put up photos of everything.

Twitter I like because it's limited and it helps you stay in touch with things you're interested

Obviously this site is a religion :smiley:
  • cabbles said:

I think it's going to go the other way. I gave up Facebook long ago. For the most part, that site is self indulgent tripe. Instagram is okay but again I think it's a bit like Facebook, people tripping over themselves to put up photos of everything.

Twitter I like because it's limited and it helps you stay in touch with things you're interested

Twitter is about to be less limited....
  • Good article IMHO

I went on a silent retreat last year and switched my phone off. It was bliss.
  • Brands are the new gods
  • Whenever I'm walking around, especially in town, at least half the people I see are not looking where they are going but are instead glued to their life support machines. This also means they slow down, which is particularly annoying on narrow City pavements.
  • Good article IMHO

I'm thinking of going on a retreat over Christmas to get away from all the phoney bullshit, would you recommend?
  • shine166 said:

Brands are the new gods

Yep this too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rizzo said:

Whenever I'm walking around, especially in town, at least half the people I see are not looking where they are going but are instead glued to their life support machines. This also means they slow down, which is particularly annoying on narrow City pavements.

That's often what I call them, "Life support machines"
  • FRANKIE SAYS: Are we living in a land where sex and horror are the new gods?
  • Well, Nietzsche did say the next few centuries will be humanity trying to find something to replace god with. Whether that's communism, capitalism brands etc.
  • I only
    cabbles said:

I think it's going to go the other way. I gave up Facebook long ago. For the most part, that site is self indulgent tripe. Instagram is okay but again I think it's a bit like Facebook, people tripping over themselves to put up photos of everything.

I have a Facebook page for my Photography but I don't really do the main site, unless of course, I'm in a swanky restaurant with Lady GaGa;)
  • Back in august I thought KR wss the new God. Now I know that was wrong, but if we win a couple again it might revert to bein right.
    Funnily RD and KM have never managed even fleetingly to look like gods. And I'd be more likely to worship a decent Samsung than either of them.
  • edited September 2017
    Perhaps it's me, cause I know I can be obsessive about things.

But the ridiculous craze that Facebook is, but great for its owners, is that in our "Look at me" society, could have detrimental affect on those who strive to follow the herd but can never keep up.

The same as the ridiculous images magazines show of anorexic models, creating stress and disorders in young and maybe even older women. And of course but potentially to a lesser degree, men's mags and the six pack look!

Actually my six packs really good at the moment and I take every opportunity to take my shirt off. I'm currently in John Lewis at the moment bare chested.

Don't know if I've told you? I'm off to a swanky restaurant tonight with Lady GaGa, so watch out for pics of my food and locale on Fuckbook later.
  • Good article IMHO

I'm thinking of going on a retreat over Christmas to get away from all the phoney bullshit, would you recommend?
    Absolutely.

One of the best things I've done
  • Perhaps it's me, cause I know I can be obsessive about things.

But the ridiculous craze that Facebook is, but great for its owners, is that in our "Look at me" society, could have detrimental affect on those who strive to follow the herd but can never keep up.

The same as the ridiculous images magazines show of anorexic models, creating stress and disorders in young and maybe even older women. And of course but potentially to a lesser degree, men's mags and the six pack look!

Actually my six packs really good at the moment and I take every opportunity to take my shirt off. I'm currently in John Lewis at the moment bare chested.

Don't know if I've told you? I'm off to a swanky restaurant tonight with Lady GaGa, so watch out for pics of my food and locale on Fuckbook later.

Hope it's not too salty.
  • Yes, but with the difference being that they're real.
  • Just watched the Edward Snowden film on Netflix.

I haven't listened to the News or read a Newspaper for a number of years now, so while I knew of him and a little of his actions not the full implications.

Of course it's a film, so no idea how accurate it is?

But of course it got me thinking. I never used to be bothered by the idea of being watched because, "I've got nothing to hide" was my attitude.

But I had been getting a little irked recently, that every time I entered a new contact into my mobile, sure enough, almost immediately on Facebook would be,"Do you know this person" and of course it would be the name to my contact.

I've also found myself getting increasingly pissed off, every time I buy something, sure enough the next set of ads on whatever site i might be visiting, would either be that item or items related!

So maybe the title of this topic should of been, not the new God but the new Government?

Most enjoy the internet and social media and maybe I've been totally naive in thinking it was for the benefit of the people but clearly it's not.

It's for the enjoyment of those who want to control our lives and yes, I've acknowledged how naive I've perhaps been.

But having now watched that film, is it scaremongering because right now I feel a little uncomfortable.
  • Sponsored links:

I haven't listened to the News or read a Newspaper for a number of years now, so while I knew of him and a little of his actions not the full implications.

But of course it got me thinking. I never used to be bothered by the idea of being watched because, "I've got nothing to hide" was my attitude.

But having now watched that film, is it scaremongering because right now I feel a little uncomfortable.

The film is a pretty good reflection of the events stated in his book and elsewhere.

But I had been getting a little irked recently, that every time I entered a new contact into my mobile, sure enough, almost immediately on Facebook would be,"Do you know this person" and of course it would be the name to my contact.

I've also found myself getting increasingly pissed off, every time I buy something, sure enough the next set of ads on whatever site i might be visiting, would either be that item or items related!

So maybe the title of this topic should of been, not the new God but the new Government?

Most enjoy the internet and social media and maybe I've been totally naive in thinking it was for the benefit of the people but clearly it's not.

It's for the enjoyment of those who want to control our lives and yes, I've acknowledged how naive I've perhaps been.

As you say you don't follow the news so maybe not a good idea to take a world view from a drama based on one person's life.
  • Rizzo said:

Whenever I'm walking around, especially in town, at least half the people I see are not looking where they are going but are instead glued to their life support machines. This also means they slow down, which is particularly annoying on narrow City pavements.

This. I'm happy enough to use my phone on a train or in a spare moment I have alone - I'm usually straight onto this site. But if I'm good somewhere or doing something or with people then the thing is away and ignored.

The number of times I've uttered the words 'you ever tried looking where you're going?' When walking through London to work.

If (when) I come to power :p I'll have a £100 fine for looking at your phone whilst walking. You wanna look at it? Stop and move to the side. Don't just keep walking and hope people move for you. I'd also ban tourists from busy parts of London at rush hour. And introduce walking lanes to sort out the slow people who walk as the same pace as other slow people and block the whole path making it impossible to overtake.

As you say you don't follow the news so maybe not a good idea to take a world view from a drama based on one person's life.
    I don't think I'm particularly taking on a world view, Henry but I think it's reasonable to assume what's being monitored in Britain and the USA, will be being monitored in other countries that have the ability to do so.

In my own eagerness to embrace technology through Computers, Tablets, Smart phones and the internet, I clearly hadn't given great thought to its implications.

Through our smart phones and bank cards we can now being tracked, wherever we are in the world.

It's clear our buying habits are being targeted by advertisers via our online purchases and our social and political leanings by social media.

I also hadn't been bothered by the amount cameras located around our towns and cities. Believing they were there for the good of us and of course there is that to them but it is another way of keeping tabs on everyone and I guess in the age of terrorism essential, there's no way of avoiding them now.

I'm not Edward Snowden and don't believe I do anything that's worth taking note of but are things getting a little too close to 1984?

I don't think I'm particularly taking on a world view, Henry but I think it's reasonable to assume what's being monitored in Britain and the USA, will be being monitored in other countries that have the ability to do so.

In my own eagerness to embrace technology through Computers, Tablets, Smart phones and the internet, I clearly hadn't given great thought to its implications.

Through our smart phones and bank cards we can now being tracked, wherever we are in the world.

It's clear our buying habits are being targeted by advertisers via our online purchases and our social and political leanings by social media.

I also hadn't been bothered by the amount cameras located around our towns and cities. Believing they were there for the good of us and of course there is that to them but it is another way of keeping tabs on everyone and I guess in the age of terrorism essential, there's no way of avoiding them now.

I'm not Edward Snowden and don't believe I do anything that's worth taking note of but are things getting a little too close to 1984?
    No, not really.

Unless you go off-grid, surveillance is both inevitable and unavoidable in a digital world ... and will only get more encompassing.

No point worrying about it ... nothing you can do except get on with your life.
  • not God .. an addictive drug perhaps ?
  • Texting and walking. Infuriates the hell out of me!
  • stonemuse said:

Just watched the Edward Snowden film on Netflix.

Unless you go off-grid, surveillance is both inevitable and unavoidable in a digital world ... and will only get more encompassing.

Interestingly on another post,there’s a conversation about VPN, which I know nothing about, other than it seems to be a piece of software that blocks others from seeing your ISP provider and your internet search history.

Which suggests people are concerned about the way things are going?
  • stonemuse said:

Just watched the Edward Snowden film on Netflix.

Interestingly on another post,there’s a conversation about VPN, which I know nothing about, other than it seems to be a piece of software that blocks others from seeing your ISP provider and your internet search history.

Which suggests people are concerned about the way things are going?
    Or trying to watch UK internet and TV when abroad (or pretending to be abroad).

There are bad sides to the new tech but a lot of good things too. It's not big brother as proved by how hard oppressive regimes in China and North Korea try to block access to the world wide web.