Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scunthorpe v Charlton | Sat 25 Nov | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Scunthorpe United v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 25th November 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Kevin Johnson (Weston-Super-Mare)

Introduction

Four points from the last two games have seen the Addicks keeping pace with their rivals… On Tuesday night Rochdale were the visitors to the Valley, and for the majority of the first half it looked as though our opponents would record their first win away this season; two goals from Jake Forster-Caskey though ensuring that the points would remain in South East London… This Saturday marks the start of another two games in quick succession as Charlton travel up the East Coast to face in-form: Scunthorpe United.

The Opposition
Name: Scunthorpe United | Manager: Graham Alexander
Last League Result: Bradford City 1-2 Scunthorpe United

Whilst Charlton were playing hosts to Rochdale; our opponents this Saturday were making the relatively short trip along the M62 to Bradford in what was a match between 3rd v 4th – Like our own outing proved; Bradford are a difficult side to face… Despite going behind, Scunthorpe rallied and a winner on 70 minutes from Hakeeb Adelakun ensured that the Iron would leap from their opponents in the League table.

It’s certainly been an interesting few months for Graham Alexander and his side… This time last season; Scunthorpe looked certain to be promoted yet a disappointing March saw them miss out via the Play-Offs. Yet as mentioned; the Iron are recovering… This Saturday ironically sees them facing another 3rd v 4th encounter yet its also a match up between the two most in form sides in the Division with Scunthorpe now undefeated since the middle of October with four goals from Lee Novak helping his new side to climb the table.

Along with Lee Novak though there are two other potential Addicks lining up for the opposition this Weekend with Andrew Crofts and Simon Church also part of the North Lincolnshire ranks – The surprising factor was the ability to keep hold of Josh Morris who having ended as top scorer last season (with 20-goals) is continuing his form from last year with a six (in all competitions) this time round.

Charlton Team News
Its getting to that time of the year again where the injuries are adding up and as one player joins the injury list, so does another… On Tuesday; Karl Robinson confirmed that Tariqe Fosu will be missing for five weeks whilst Ben Reeves only managed 45 minutes on Tuesday before being replaced – It’ll be no surprise to many fans if he too is missing this Saturday.

The replacement options don’t appear great either… With Jason Pearce and Harry Lennon closing on returns its in Midfield (not Defence) where players are now required; should Reeves be missing as expected then Robinson will surely be calling upon youth rather than experience for what is a key fixture in the season.

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Konsa | Sarr
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Marshall | Holmes | Ahearne-Grant
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Dasilva | Jackson | Aribo | Hackett-Fairchild | Dodoo

Prediction
Quite simply I’ll be happy with a point from this Saturday… With the likes of Reeves | Clarke | Fosu all missing there will certainly be a lack of creativity from the Addicks and can see us being forced to hit Scunthorpe on the break a lot – Technically we took seven points from a potential nine against them last season so this is certainly a side who we know how to get a result from!!

Comments

• Just been doing a bit of extra research on the Scunthorpe twitter account

Josh Morris does look to be injured (back running on Grass) so should be missing on Saturday whilst Lee Novak is currently being assessed as its 50/50 whether he'll be fit or not... Interestingly; their Assistant Manager has just become the Manager of Bury so hopefully he's the brains behind Graham Alexander's side
  • edited November 2017
    Just to add, Church is out with injury. I agree with you FA, that we will try to hit them on the break and therefore I would expect Dasilva to start instead of Sarr and KR has said he hopes Reeves will be back for Tuesday. Forgot to mention the score, I have to pick one I hope it will not be, as I am always wrong, 1-0 to Scunny
  • edited November 2017
    ross1 said:

Just to add, Church is out with injury. I agree with you FA, that we will try to hit them on the break and therefore I would expect Dasilva to start instead of Sarr and KR has said he hopes Reeves will be back for Tuesday

Hmm it could be because they're a Northern team yet I reckon if we play Dasilva they'll target his physicality with a few long balls and a good few crosses into the box - Hence why I picked Sarr ... See it being similar to the Bradford match, conditions may be the same too
  • ross1 said:

Just to add, Church is out with injury. I agree with you FA, that we will try to hit them on the break and therefore I would expect Dasilva to start instead of Sarr and KR has said he hopes Reeves will be back for Tuesday

Hmm it could be because they're a Northern team yet I reckon if we play Dasilva they'll target his physicality with a few long balls and a good few crosses into the box - Hence why I picked Sarr ... See it being similar to the Bradford match, conditions may be the same too
    Great minds FA, great minds :wink:
  • RedChaser said:

ross1 said:

Nope I'm a simple lad who is a tactical Jenius being wasted by the Footballing world!!
  • edited November 2017

RedChaser said:

ross1 said:

Nope I'm a simple lad who is a tactical Jenius being wasted by the Footballing world!!
    I agree, still can't believe the interim one 'Fromage' got the nod over you and me as your wise old assistant :wink:

Edit; I meant being a tactical genius not simple.
  • edited November 2017
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

ross1 said:

I agree, still can't believe the interim one 'Fromage' got the nod over you and me as your wise old assistant :wink:
    I blame the EU mate... Bloody Belgians coming over 'ere stealing our cloobs and jobs!!
  • There's only so many unnecessary semi colons I can take in a paragraph.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-1 draw
  • 2- 2 Draw , Novak with 1 for them (of course) and Holmes ( he's due one ) and Big Mac for us.
  • Remain unbeaten is fine, but keep it tight and I fancy a smash grab, 0-1 Holmes late on.
  • Personally, especially as it's an away match, I'd rather Aribo played instead of KAG

Or even Konsa in midfield with JFC pushing forward to a No 10 role.
  • I'm going to this so I hope to have a happy journey home.
    2.1 Charlton
  • Quietly confident that i haven't a scooby which Charlton are turning up.

Rip snorting free scoring Addicks 1-2

Coke snorting free loading Addicks 3-1
  • edited November 2017

I'd play this

Amos
    Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Dasilva
    Kashi | Konsa
    Marshall | JFC | Holmes
    Magennis

@Pelling1993 exactly what I was just about to put, literally the exact same.

As JFC is now getting goals and is willing to get into the box (plus he has a good shot on him) I’d put him behind Josh on Saturday, move Konsa into midfield with Kashi and play Sarr centre half with Bauer. Not to mention his passing ability is up there too and at times he could drop into midfield if we start getting overrun and it could change more into a 451 if we come under quite a bit of pressure. He's got all the attributes to play behind the striker, so I hope Karl goes for it.

I like that team, it has a lot of combinations in it, a lot of fluidity. If we are under a bit more pressure Konsa could drop into defence and Forster-Caskey dropping next to Kashi.

4231:
    Amos
    Solly Bauer Sarr Dasilva
    Konsa Kashi
    Marshall Forster-Caskey Holmes
    Magennis

541:
    Amos
    Solly Bauer Konsa Sarr Dasilva
    Marshall Kashi Forster-Caskey Holmes
    Magennis

3421:
    Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr
    Solly Kashi Forster-Caskey Dasilva
    Marshall Holmes
    Magennis
  • Sponsored links:

• Would take a point now. Can’t see us keeping a clean sheet so I’m going a home win. 2 - 0
  • 1-2 to Charlton. All aboard the glory bus.
  • Gonna be a very tough game folks......that’s for sure!
  • I'd play this

Amos
    Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Dasilva
    Kashi | Konsa
    Marshall | JFC | Holmes
    Magennis

I like it. I'd probably play KAG in behind Magennis and bench Konsa, but yours seems equally valid.
  • 1-1
    Marshall
  • It's only Div 1.
    2-0 to the mighty Addicks
  • 3:3 Bauer Kashi Marshall
  • I'm going to predict a KAG hat-trick. If it doesn't happen, nobody will remember. If it does, I'm Batman
  • The CASTrust take on the game can be seen here:

https://castrust.org/
  • Leuth said:

I'm going to predict a KAG hat-trick. If it doesn't happen, nobody will remember. If it does, I'm Batman

As @Henry Irving only said a brace for KAG will that make him Robin?

KAG brace secures three points 2 - 1 to the Addicks

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!