Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Just 30 days to go until Russia take on Saudi Arabia to kick off the best month of sport anywhere in the world.

Southgate names is provisional 23 man squad tomorrow. Any late suprises?

Brazil have named Neymar in there’s, although how match fit he is will remain unclear.

Neaur has been ruled out for Germany, although their squad depth is frightening.

Can’t wait.

Comments

• Already got three ex-Charlton Players at the World Cup with Gudmundsson | Gislasson | Reza all picked

If Pope and Shelvey go, could this be the most we've seen Charlton "represented" at the World Cup?
  • Hart out and Pope in the Eng squad it seems

I’d be surprised if that was the case .
  • Pope and Shelvey deserve to go on merit. Pope may be 3rd choice but there's no point taking Hart as he'd also be behind Pickford and Butland. Might as well take a young talented keeper as 3rd choice as opposed to a spent force.

There has been talk that Hart should go to add experience to the Goalkeepers and act purely as third choice, yet surely if he cares enough - Just take him in an advisory role and not on the actual Playing Staff

Shelvey should definitely go... His temperament isnt an issue (hasnt been booked for months) and has the ability to pass it forwards - All other Midfielders can either drive forwards with the ball or pass sideways, something that could become very easy for opponents to defend against...

Read something this morning saying he doesnt have the Defensive side to his game and could cost us at this sort of level, yet you have to wonder how Italy have done over the years with the likes of Pirlo, he didnt exactly defend either
  • Gutted that’s Gomez is injured and won’t make it as I think he would’ve started.

How I see it, with maybe a couple of changes..?

Pickford, Butland, Pope

Walker, Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Jones, Keane, Young, Bertrand

Dier, Henderson, Delph, Shelvey, Wilshere, Loftus-Cheek, Alli, Sterling, Lingard

Kane, Vardy, Rashford
  • Wouldn't have any of that front line at Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Argentina's attacking options are ridiculous but as ever their keepers and defence are suspect. And since when was Salvio a defender? Pretty sure he's a wide attacking player.
  • Would rather see us take Sessegnon and Sancho than washed up players like Walcott and Cahill.
  • Gabriel Marcotti in The Times the other day wrote that Argentina have so many quality forwards to pick from that Aguero may not make their squad. A guy at Boca Juniors has apparently scored 30 in 33 games and whilst their domestic league may not match the Premiership he'd get the 'popular' vote if it came down to a choice between those two for a final spot.

Meanwhile we pray that Harry Kane remains fit and in top form.
  • Argentina's attacking options are ridiculous but as ever their keepers and defence are suspect. And since when was Salvio a defender? Pretty sure he's a wide attacking player.
    Can see them coming unstuck against well organised sides like Iceland and Croatia on the counter attack.
  • Gabriel Marcotti in The Times the other day wrote that Argentina have so many quality forwards to pick from that Aguero may not make their squad. A guy at Boca Juniors has apparently scored 30 in 33 games and whilst their domestic league may not match the Premiership he'd get the 'popular' vote if it came down to a choice between those two for a final spot.

Ha! and as soon as I post that Aguero is named in their squad..still an embarrassment of riches to what we have.
  • edited May 2018
    Sage said:

Gutted that’s Gomez is injured and won’t make it as I think he would’ve started.

How I see it, with maybe a couple of changes..?

Pickford, Butland, Pope

Walker, Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Jones, Keane, Young, Bertrand

Dier, Henderson, Delph, Shelvey, Wilshere, Loftus-Cheek, Alli, Sterling, Lingard

Kane, Vardy, Rashford

Possibly Smalling in for Keane. Would Lallana come in for Shelvey or Loftus-Cheek if Southgate doesn't take one of them? Other than that I'd have to agree.

The starting XI on the other hand.....

Ha! and as soon as I post that Aguero is named in their squad..still an embarrassment of riches to what we have.
    That's their provisional squad, so he could still be left out of the 23.

I read before that Icardi is likely to get the chop, mainly because he had an affair with the wife of Maxi Lopez, and although she's now married to Icardi, Messi who is good mates with Maxi hasn't forgiven him. So whether Messi let's Icardi into the group probably depends on his selection. Pretty much the reason why icardi only has only 4 caps at the age of 25
  • Wasnt there a strong chance of Dybala being dropped too as they seem him as too similar to Messi in style?
  • Sponsored links:

Benedetto. He's been out injured since November so not been named in the squad.

Wasnt there a strong chance of Dybala being dropped too as they seem him as too similar to Messi in style?

Potentially but surely you have to take him, even if it's as plan B or if Messi gets injured.
  • Must be very disheartening for Germany to lose Neuer and only be able to call on Ter Stegen as a replacement. How will they cope?!
  • Pope and Shelvey deserve to go on merit. Pope may be 3rd choice but there's no point taking Hart as he'd also be behind Pickford and Butland. Might as well take a young talented keeper as 3rd choice as opposed to a spent force.

I think countries should be allowed to take as many keepers as they want as additions to a squad of 20.

There has been talk that Hart should go to add experience to the Goalkeepers and act purely as third choice, yet surely if he cares enough - Just take him in an advisory role and not on the actual Playing Staff

Shelvey should definitely go... His temperament isnt an issue (hasnt been booked for months) and has the ability to pass it forwards - All other Midfielders can either drive forwards with the ball or pass sideways, something that could become very easy for opponents to defend against...

Read something this morning saying he doesnt have the Defensive side to his game and could cost us at this sort of level, yet you have to wonder how Italy have done over the years with the likes of Pirlo, he didnt exactly defend either
    That's because Pirlo consistently had genuine world class defenders behind him. Shelvey wouldn't! Should still go though.

I think countries should be allowed to take as many keepers as they want as additions to a squad of 20.
    Why would you need to take more than 3 anyway? Most teams don't even use 3, so i doubt there's much need to be taking more.
  • edited May 2018
    Well it avoids the need to take 2 instead of 3 then find you need 3. I think it would be good to be able to take a young keeper for the experience.