Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Toby Stevenson - now at Billericay Town (p3)

edited July 2022 in General Charlton
An U18 with Leyton Orient and recently been turning out for Heybridge Swifts. Trialled with Charlton in recent weeks I think

Comments

• Heybridge and the I’s had very high hopes for him.
    Good to see Steve Avory still doing his thing
  • Good luck Toby

I wish Steve Avory would get a new picture though, I'd fed up with seeing that one of the horses :smile:
  • I see from that twitter account that Toby was the trialist who played centre half in the under 18 final v Palace recently.

I thought he was outstanding on the night, so really pleased we have him on board. Welcome to the club Toby.

I agree with this. He made one particularly excellent interception/tackle in the first half, and for a lad unfamiliar with his team mates he did very well.
    We will have to see how he progresses.
  • An U18 with Leyton Orient and recently been turning out for Heybridge Swifts. Trialled with Charlton in recent weeks I think

Welcome to the house of fun Toby
  • seth plum said:

I see from that twitter account that Toby was the trialist who played centre half in the under 18 final v Palace recently.

I thought he was outstanding on the night, so really pleased we have him on board. Welcome to the club Toby.

I agree with this. He made one particularly excellent interception/tackle in the first half, and for a lad unfamiliar with his team mates he did very well.
    We will have to see how he progresses.
    Agree
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo55 said:

I find it hard to fathom decisions taken by clubs about young players. Presumably Orient didn’t see enough to offer him a deal yet a short while later he gets a deal at one of the best academies in the country - ours. Are we better judges, has he just developed strongly in recent months, or what? Good luck to him though, really hope he goes on to have a great career.

Yes, I guess at that age it's down to the judgement of the academy managers and the squad depth they have in that position on the pitch.

I imagine we can afford to make punts on players whereas Orient can't afford to have so many young professionals.
  • Stig said:

Dazzler21 said:

An U18 with Leyton Orient and recently been turning out for Heybridge Swifts. Trialled with Charlton in recent weeks I think

All the best to ya, you creepy looking little lad.
    Bit harsh!
    That be a devilish look in his eye I tell ye!
  • Did Orient release him? Assumed he had just done a ‘Defoe’ on them?
  • Davo55 said:

I find it hard to fathom decisions taken by clubs about young players. Presumably Orient didn’t see enough to offer him a deal yet a short while later he gets a deal at one of the best academies in the country - ours. Are we better judges, has he just developed strongly in recent months, or what? Good luck to him though, really hope he goes on to have a great career.

I very much doubt, in their position, Orient even have an academy.
  • edited May 2018
    Davo55 said:

Maybe they did offer him a deal but he turned it down.
  • Davo55 said:

Could it also be the fact the Oriwnt saw he had something special and didnt want to risk holding him back (non league budget, non league facilities) so they released him for his own good knowing someone bigger would take him
    Yeah that would be a stupid approach from a club as they risk losing out on a cash windfall from them
  • Davo55 said:

S'pose we've done it ourselves plenty of times... Just look at that poor lad Jermaine Defoe for example, didnt stand a chance of making it through our Acadamy so West Ham kindly signed him up
  • Davo55 said:

S'pose we've done it ourselves plenty of times... Just look at that poor lad Jermaine Defoe for example, didnt stand a chance of making it through our Acadamy so West Ham kindly signed him up
    We have done it ourselves, Jordan Ibe, Michael Turner
  • Davo55 said:

We have done it ourselves, Jordan Ibe, Michael Turner
    I think those cases are justifyable (is that a word?) though... Same with Oztumer | Dack etc. We were a Premier League Team at the time so was always going to be a struggle to break through for them, just happened to be a case of their careers peaked whilst Charlton were on a downward curve.

Genuinely cant think of a player who has been released and gone to a higher club though - I know Semi Ajayi went to Arsenal but werent we about to offer a Contract ourselves before they came sniffing for him?
  • Sponsored links:

• It does seem that Orient let him go, rather than him refusing to stay

Didn't we pick up Kurtis Cumberbatch from Watford a youngster a few years ago after they had let him go? Only to then let him go ourselves a year later
  • ross1 said:

If Steve Avory rates him, that will do for me

I agree, if you've ever met him he's top draw, sounds to a laymen like me that he just knows his job and football coaching/development inside out and takes real pride in the young players coming through.
  • Toby is localish so when it came to the final a few of them had met/ played against him before!
  • Sounds like Leyton Orient dont have an U23 Squad so had no choice but to release him

Surprised at their level they didnt just put him in their First-Team
  • Sounds like Leyton Orient dont have an U23 Squad so had no choice but to release him

Surprised at their level they didnt just put him in their First-Team

Yes, it's weird to go through the expense of an academy, but then let someone go because they don't have an U23 team. Orient would surely play youngsters in their main squad if they're good enough?
  • Wow
    2 goals on debut for a defender

Just wow
  • How old is he