Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Tunisia

Comments

• Options
    Thought England did well. Could have easily been another Iceland but they plugged away and got a deserved win.

My biggest frustration however is switching play. If you have a player on the far aode of the pitch in acres of space why do we still make 4 passes to switch when one will do. Just allows the opposition to saunter across the pitxh holding shape.
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:

Thought England did well. Could have easily been another Iceland but they plugged away and got a deserved win.

My biggest frustration however is switching play. If you have a player on the far aode of the pitch in acres of space why do we still make 4 passes to switch when one will do. Just allows the opposition to saunter across the pitxh holding shape.

Because there's no Beckham or Scholes in the team who can ping 50 yard passes and land them on a sixpence. Henderson did a couple last night before reverting to square or back passes.
  • Options
    If you look through the big clubs, none of the players who take their free kicks are english.

Only ones i can really think of are Milner (who's not there) and occasionally Henderson and Dier.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Daddy_Pig said:

Because there's no Beckham or Scholes in the team who can ping 50 yard passes and land them on a sixpence. Henderson did a couple last night before reverting to square or back passes.
    Surely England footballers can pass from one side of the pitch to the other when the winger is in acres of space though? Im not talking 60 yard diagonals onto a run a here
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:

bobmunro said:

Daddy_Pig said:

Surely England footballers can pass from one side of the pitch to the other when the winger is in acres of space though? Im not talking 60 yard diagonals onto a run a here
    You would have thought so ...
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the game. We play some good football and should have been way ahead, never mind the two pen shouts, it transpires that the VAR team advised the ref to view, but he chose not to???

Positives
    Kane (two strikers goals), blinding header from Stones as well.
    Trippier was excellent, MOM for me.
    Henderson made some great passes.
    Harry Mcguire had a very good game, even though he looks like someones dad who has turned up for a game.
    Rashford changed the game when he came on.
    Southgate tactics and post match analysis was spot on IMHO.

Negs
    Stirling should never wear the shirt ever again, absolutely dog shit, he has fooled a lot of people, not strong enough with his back to goal, and looks to hit the ground when challenged, also his lack of football brain means he constantly runs up cul de sacs. Rashford must start the next one.
    VAR - or rather an arrogant ref who refused to take a look, FIFA must kick him up the arse.
    Ashley Young, not convinced, Danny Rose on for next game.

Overall a very pleasing start, loads of chances created, yep we got a well deserved late winner, but really should have wrapped it up by half-time, but this is England and its never dull is it.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Woeful but we won...years ago the premier league was supposed to be set up to enhance our chances in these competitions. ..try telling those two man utd pratts playing up front....Pathetic..we are going backwards...club before country.

Sterling plays for Citeh though Chippy :wink:
    And rash and lind doo too hey
    Lingard's finishing let him down but Rashford was a game changer when he came on and should start the next game.
    Along with Loftus-Cheek. Him and Rashford in for Sterling ( not a dig but nothing worked for him last night) & Lingard.

Loftus Cheek as either CM or CAM would be good.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I really enjoyed the game. We play some good football and should have been way ahead, never mind the two pen shouts, it transpires that the VAR team advised the ref to view, but he chose not to???

Positives
    Harry Mcguire had a very good game, even though he looks like someones dad who has turned up for a game.

Negs
    Stirling should never wear the shirt ever again, absolutely dog shit, he has fooled a lot of people, not strong enough with his back to goal, and looks to hit the ground when challenged, also his lack of football brain means he constantly runs up cul de sacs. Rashford must start the next one.
    VAR - or rather an arrogant ref who refused to take a look, FIFA must kick him up the arse.

Overall a very pleasing start, loads of chances created, yep we got a well deserved late winner, but really should have wrapped it up by half-time, but this is England and its never dull is it.

Harsh. He's not a forward. I'd be tempted to experiment with him deeper, maybe rest Dele for the next game and get Rashford in.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Positives

Negs

Harsh. He's not a forward. I'd be tempted to experiment with him deeper, maybe rest Dele for the next game and get Rashford in.
    @The Red Robin - fair enough, maybe. However Im a little biased when it comes to Stirling and his lack of ability in front of goal
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Positives

Negs

@The Red Robin - fair enough, maybe. However Im a little biased when it comes to Stirling and his lack of ability in front of goal
    He does seem to be a bit of a Marmite player for some reason. Big fan of Southgate but I don't think he's worked Sterling out yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

Would make 2 changes for Panama.

Rose in for Young. I don't think Young gets down the line or overlaps enough. Rose will.

Rashford in for Sterling. If the Germans can leave Sane out for not performing well enough at international level then why do we need to keep playing Sterling? 2 goals in 39 caps isn't good enough.

Let's face it we dominated the first 45 minutes and should've been 2 or 3 up at half time so despite the dire second half i don't think we need drastic changes.

agree with this + I would drop McGuire for Cahill
    Eh? Maguire's strength in the air led to both of our goals. He caused them issues from every single set piece and went forward with real impetus. Grew into the game and for me was one of the stand out performers along with Trippier.
    trouble is he's there in the main as a defender and he nearly cost us twice in the first half. I just think he looks a bit cumbersome on the ball and prefer Cahill

and as for his strength in the air at set pieces, didn't Cahill score a cracking header in the warm up friendly?
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

There's definitely a (possibly unconscious) bias towards Sterling. The Sun have done a great job.

Not sure last night's performance had anything to do with the sun.
    It's just that most people think Rashford offers more to the team.
    Don't get me wrong I don't think he was great last night but was nowhere near our worst performer. There seems to be a certain level of vitriol directed at him, I wouldn't change for the next game. Possibly change a couple of others but given he has performed very well in the league over the past year I'd be willing to give him a go against Panama.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

There's definitely a (possibly unconscious) bias towards Sterling. The Sun have done a great job.

Not sure last night's performance had anything to do with the sun.
    It's just that most people think Rashford offers more to the team.
    Don't get me wrong I don't think he was great last night but was nowhere near our worst performer. There seems to be a certain level of vitriol directed at him, I wouldn't change for the next game. Possibly change a couple of others but given he has performed very well in the league over the past year I'd be willing to give him a go against Panama.
    Sterling had five successful dribbles last night - Dele had none.
  • Options
    Sterling is a key player in 'the best ever premier league team'. He was the 5th top scorer in the league last season AND got the most assists out of the top 15. His ability is beyond doubt. Anyone questioning it I would question whether their problem is with his football or with him.

Last night he looked scared to make a mistake. Stopped running at defenders when he could have taken them on. I suppose when you've had the press on your back and when you know a certain amount of England fans have it out for you, might be quite reasonable to feel that way. I hope Southgate tells him he needs to toughen up mentally and realise he is a top, top player and sod everyone else and he might start replicating his form on the international stage.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Sterling is a key player in 'the best ever premier league team'. He was the 5th top scorer in the league last season AND got the most assists out of the top 15. His ability is beyond doubt. Anyone questioning it I would question whether their problem is with his football or with him.

Last night he looked scared to make a mistake. Stopped running at defenders when he could have taken them on. I suppose when you've had the press on your back and when you know a certain amount of England fans have it out for you, might be quite reasonable to feel that way. I hope Southgate tells him he needs to toughen up mentally and realise he is a top, top player and sod everyone else and he might start replicating his form on the international stage.

You can quote all the stats you like mate..........I just think he's shit.
  • Options
    I think you can make a case for almost anyone to start against Panama except Ashley Young. Not a bad player but the combination of lack of pace, no left foot and poor defensive cover made our left side a little weak.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Positives

Negs

23 goals last season for City, ahead of Gabriel Jesus, Sane, De Bruyne and everyone except Aguero despite not being a striker. He's certainly capable of putting the ball away, hopefully he'll get started soon.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Croydon said:

Would make 2 changes for Panama.

Rose in for Young. I don't think Young gets down the line or overlaps enough. Rose will.

Rashford in for Sterling. If the Germans can leave Sane out for not performing well enough at international level then why do we need to keep playing Sterling? 2 goals in 39 caps isn't good enough.

Let's face it we dominated the first 45 minutes and should've been 2 or 3 up at half time so despite the dire second half i don't think we need drastic changes.

agree with this + I would drop McGuire for Cahill
    Eh? Maguire's strength in the air led to both of our goals. He caused them issues from every single set piece and went forward with real impetus. Grew into the game and for me was one of the stand out performers along with Trippier.
    trouble is he's there in the main as a defender and he nearly cost us twice in the first half. I just think he looks a bit cumbersome on the ball and prefer Cahill

and as for his strength in the air at set pieces, didn't Cahill score a cracking header in the warm up friendly?
    I agree and I'd rather have Cahill in the later rounds so would prefer him in next game to help the understanding. Stones and Walker can be the ones to play it out from the back a bit more.

I'd play:

Pickford
    Walker, Cahill, Stones
    Trippier, Henderson, Loftus Cheek, Rose
    Lingard/Alli, Rashford
    Kane

Against Panama, and consider Dier and Vardy v Belgium to shore up midfield and hit them on the counter respectively.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Positives

Negs

23 goals last season for City, ahead of Gabriel Jesus, Sane, De Bruyne and everyone except Aguero despite not being a striker. He's certainly capable of putting the ball away, hopefully he'll get started soon.
    Nonsense mate, Greenie from the internet says he's shit.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Positives

Negs

As ever, good to see you hanging on my every word @colthe3rd, would you like a signed photo?
    You could put it in pride of place at the shrine to me that you obviously have.....!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Positives

Negs

As ever, good to see you hanging on my every word @colthe3rd, would you like a signed photo?
    You could put it in pride of place at the shrine to me that you obviously have.....!
    I have a feeling he's gonna want a special kind of photo.
  • Options
    when people start producing the stats of his scoring ability and his performances for City it just makes his average to crap displays for England even more baffling and infuriating. he has it in him obviously but I have never seen him do it for the national side. that's why I would pick someone else ahead of him for the next match.
  • Options

Greenie said:

colthe3rd said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Positives

Negs

I have a feeling he's gonna want a special kind of photo.
    When did you get your BTEC in banter?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Chunes said:

He's obviously not shit, you don't play week in week out for a Guardiola side if you can't perform at the highest level.

But i think you're right, there's clearly some kind of mental block there because 2 goals in 39 international appearances just isn't good enough. His last international goal was 3 years ago!! Alli seems to be the same. 2 goals in 26 games for him, hasn't scored for 2 years. Neither of them have scored away from Wembley.

Let's face it you're going to struggle to win a major tournament if 2 of your 4 attacking players can't score. Hopefully both can score against Panama and get some confidence to kick on. I think if the early sitter that Sterling missed last night had gone in then you'd have seen a totally different player.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

When the Tunisia player refused to move back from the free kick for about 30 seconds, with Walker and Young both pointing it out to the ref who did nothing. And then when Young did finally take it, the Tunisian player running towards him to put it off... And he STILL didn't get a booking. Really summed up who's side the ref was on last night.

Apologies if this has already been pointed out by someone else, but what summed it up for me was the total lack of interest from the referee when their substitutes ambled off the pitch and generally took their time over every little thing. Then when Lingard was taken off after our goal he goes over and tells him to hurry up! Madness.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Positives

Negs

it transpires that the VAR team advised the ref to view, but he chose not to???
    @Greenie - where did you see that ?
  • Options
    On bbc1 they just showed 6 killer passes from Jordan Henderson. He was also good defensively, no more just a water carrier.
  • Options
    One of the VAR refs last night was the ref from the Croatia game. Ironically the same ref who gave a pen for excessive pulling/pushing in the box.

They must’ve referred that.