Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Tunisia

Comments

• Options
    Clattenberg was saying that they didn't have enough time to review the video, about 23 seconds after the first Kane incident, where it's worked, it's taken about 35/40 seconds to get the review done.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Greenie said:

I really enjoyed the game. We play some good football and should have been way ahead, never mind the two pen shouts, it transpires that the VAR team advised the ref to view, but he chose not to???

Positives
    Kane (two strikers goals), blinding header from Stones as well.
    Trippier was excellent, MOM for me.
    Henderson made some great passes.
    Harry Mcguire had a very good game, even though he looks like someones dad who has turned up for a game.
    Rashford changed the game when he came on.
    Southgate tactics and post match analysis was spot on IMHO.

Negs
    Stirling should never wear the shirt ever again, absolutely dog shit, he has fooled a lot of people, not strong enough with his back to goal, and looks to hit the ground when challenged, also his lack of football brain means he constantly runs up cul de sacs. Rashford must start the next one.
    VAR - or rather an arrogant ref who refused to take a look, FIFA must kick him up the arse.
    Ashley Young, not convinced, Danny Rose on for next game.

Overall a very pleasing start, loads of chances created, yep we got a well deserved late winner, but really should have wrapped it up by half-time, but this is England and its never dull is it.

it transpires that the VAR team advised the ref to view, but he chose not to???
    @Greenie - where did you see that ?
    I read it somewhere this morning, however I have just seen the BBC coverage and they say that the VAR team did not inform the ref....so someones got it wrong???
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Clattenberg was saying that they didn't have enough time to review the video, about 23 seconds after the first Kane incident, where it's worked, it's taken about 35/40 seconds to get the review done.

bloody hell it took me 2 seconds to see it was a penalty. and that excuse shows up all the talk that apparently VAR is really quick and wont cause major delays.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    more rubbish. How desperate are media to try and make excuses? Just own up, it was 2 mistakes, they got it wrong and they will take some lessons from it. Hearing crappy excuses and making out like VAR is beyond making mistakes makes my blood boil even more
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Rothko said:
    This isn’t a bad article, the problem with it is that the Stones push was the exact same as Zuber’s push on Miranda, which led to the Swiss equaliser.
    VAR has to be judged consistently if it’s going to be as successful as goalline technology
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Maguire, Stones, Henderson & Trippier stood out for me. Kane did what Kane does, absolutely fantastic for his confidence as an International level captain. Henderson was off the pace for 15-20 minutes of the match but he is still such an important part of the team. It is very easy to single him out and say he's useless, passes backwards etc., but he is actually very useful and can always find space to move the ball well. He's not usually the one who get's caught in possession, he can also win possession back (think he went at 6 successful tackles from 6 yesterday).

I'm on the fence over Lingard, I can see his positives but also see a lot of negatives in his play. Alli I'm usually a big fan of but he looked a shade nervous/not quite right out there yesterday. Obviously had the injury, Southgates only wrong decision perhaps not bringing him off earlier, other subs were spot on for the occasion IMO.

Before the game somebody put the team up and I said I agree with that apart from Lingard. The thing about him is he scores some great goals and he scores some important goals but I don't trust him - he can do what he did last night and miss chances others wouldn't. But He is a decent player and at least he got chances!

I am flabbergasted by anybody calling for Maguire to be dropped. Him and Stones make the system work!
  • Options
    I didn’t think anyone played too badly tbh, but Sterling struggled out of position. That central role just doesn’t suit him and he looked a bit lost. He still ran his heart out though. I’d start Rashford ahead of him on Sunday. Just the one change. Maguire May have had s couple of dodgy moments early doors, but was blinding going forward in the 2nd half and was such a threat at set pieces. Trippier was quality too, and what can you say about Kane? Lots more to come from this group of players hopefully
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Great start. Long way to go but first 15 minutes have been very very positive.

I thought that England played some of the best football that I'd seen in this WC (1st 15-20 mins)....shame it did not last, but they stuck at it and got the deserved 3 points in the end. Feeling positive for England, but not getting carried away just yet.
  • Options

Rothko said:
    more rubbish. How desperate are media to try and make excuses? Just own up, it was 2 mistakes, they got it wrong and they will take some lessons from it. Hearing crappy excuses and making out like VAR is beyond making mistakes makes my blood boil even more
    In fairness, the judgement of the quality of the VAR decision is 2 out of 10, so despite what's written, the author does think it was a pretty shit pair of decisions overall.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

PWR
    Didn't get a chance to watch it live as something for work came up at the last minute (despite blocking out my calendar weeks ago, stupid 11am kick off, I fear I'm getting off topic).

Not going to do rating numbers, just some random thoughts.

Pickford: Was there. Don't think he had a save to make. Distribution looked pretty good. Had that one moment where we went for a wander but Tunisian player was offside, and he did well not to dive in but to stand him up.

Walker: Yikes. On first glance I thought he got unlucky as he'd just left his arms up as a way of saying "don't touch it," but the more times I saw it the more it looked like he left an arm out looking for the attacker. You just can't do that. Other than that looked alright and overlapped with Trippier pretty well toward the end. I'm never fully convinced by him in any position, but I think he's England's best option.

Stones: Thought he looked very solid. Tidy on the ball and always looked for it. Not a lot of defending to do.

Maguirre: Another who I'm not fully convinced by. I think he can get sucked out of position, and I think he's more English center half good on the ball than he is good on the ball. Looked dangerous from set pieces and he did get forward a couple times, though there didn't seem to be end product there. I would bring Cahill in for Belgium.

Trippier: At times looked England's biggest threat going forward. Good delivery and good on the ball. Impressed by him.

Young: I just think Southgate got his selection wrong. I think it was a game better suited to Rose's overlap and providing natural width. Young clearly has ability but he's also prone to making very basic mistakes.

Henderson: My feeling on Henderson for some time now has been that he does the difficult things well and sometimes struggles with the easy things. He had some really good passes that unlocked the Tunisian defense, and at times I don't think he gets enough credit for that. But there were other times when building from the back when he either looked slow and ponderous, waiting to take a touch before picking his head up and deciding what to do, or playing a weird chipped pass with curl on it out wide when a simpler pass would have been better. I also find his positional sense in that pivot role isn't the best, though I think he has all around improved in that role this season. A good game from him, not brilliant but something to work with there.

Dele: I was impressed by him and his ability to find space and combine with Sterling and Lingard. He just looks a real nuisance. Thought he should have been left on.

Lingard: Oh dear. Could arguably have had a hat trick. His movement at times was excellent and caused Tunisia all sorts of problems. But his finishing touch/final ball just wasn't there. If he can find that, he'll be a real weapon.

Sterling: Linked midfield and attack. Things didn't come off for him but his movement and dropping off, sucking defenders out of position for the runs in behind from Lingard and Dele were very important. He is not well suited to being the one man talisman that England seem to demand of their stars. He's capable of moments of brilliance, but what he does is often more understated and subtle. And when you start to view him through that lens, I think you can really appreciate what he brings to a team.

Kane: Two touches, two goals. I think Tunisia did well to neutralize him and he struggled to get into the game. They were very physical with him, which included fouling him in the penalty area on multiple occasions. And I didn't think he did quite a good enough job of dropping off to let midfielders and Sterling run beyond him. But huge credit to him, it's been a long time since England had a two chances, two goals type striker turn up at a major tournament.

Rashford: The moments of brilliance and skill only count for so much if there isn't an end product. He's still only 20/1 to be fair.

Loftus-Cheek: If it clicks for him he could be one of the breakout youngsters of the tournament. He was playing level with the defensive line at times, which I was baffled by, he then dummied short and ran in behind and caused them problems, including the chance Rashford dummied.

Southgate: I would have said this even if the late goal didn't go in, he has come as close to getting an England team playing like they do in the Premier League as I've seen for quite some time. He has them using constant movement and athleticism to create space. Better finishing and overall more maturity and this game would have been much easier. But the way he has Sterling dropping off and Lingard and Alli making runs on behind impressed me. Not everything will be as easy as those first 20 minutes in which Tunisia baffling played a very high line and gave England space in behind. But this is a young team that I think Southgate has really molded well. I'm impressed by him, and even if England don't win a tournament in the next five years, I still think he's going to be one of those managers much better suited to international management than he was to club management.

Totally agree. Except I think Rashford could ake a difference, if we progress in the tournament.
  • Options
    I think the refusal to play Bale is just pure regionalist discrimination.
  • Options
    Sterling suits that position much more than Rashford does but obviously it can be played different if Rashford is in.

People look at directly at what Sterling does with his chances etc but ultimately we created more chances with Sterling on the pitch as he is better at coming deep and running with it, better at quick flicks to Alli/Lingard on the counter, attracts more defenders to him (he'd often have 2/3 players on him last night) freeing up other players. It's no coincidence that we played some of the best football I can remember from an England team in any tournament in a good while in those first 20 minutes with him in the build-up play.

The main issue with the team is Ashley Young constantly cutting in on his right foot and never being able to go down the left. With the same team but Rose instead of Young I think we'd have created even more earlier on.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Great corner from Young for the opener though. Although, I do take your point - there was a couple of times in the second half where you wanted him to beat the man.
  • Options
    We over celebrated the opening goal.
  • Options

Have I really just read on here that someone thought Henderson ‘was shocking’

Laughable.

He wasn’t shocking he wasn’t shite he was just Henderson and every team need one

However he is not what you need when you need the ball played forward quickly and that can cause people to not really understand his role
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I watched the replay. Kane was fouled at least twice in the box. And not even one penalty?! Unbelievable really. He scored while unmarked (the second goal) and I wonder if he would have scored more had he not been fouled/held down in the way he was.
  • Options
    I thought Henderson was good, and I'm not a huge fan. The only criticism I had of him against Tunisia was he wasn't intelligent enough with his positioning to offer an out ball to his back three. If that forward pass isn't on and the options are blocked he needs to pull away and always be available to receive to ball from them so the centre halves don't get caught on it. Too often though he found a spot and didn't follow the play so the CHs got a bit stuck. Hopefully he'll just up his concentration a little in those situations next few games, as Hazard and Lukaku will really punish any CH they catch on the ball
  • Options

I watched the replay. Kane was fouled at least twice in the box. And not even one penalty?! Unbelievable really. He scored while unmarked (the second goal) and I wonder if he would have scored more had he not been fouled/held down in the way he was.

Maybe the ref said to the Tunisians "Listen, you have got away with murder twice, if I let another one go I'll get lynched, so lay off the beardy bloke this time will ya?" :lol:
  • Options

Croydon said:

JamesSeed said:

I loved how the players celebrated it. This is the first group of England players for a long time who genuinely all seem to like each other.
    Not that too much importance should be attached to it but I did notice that every single one of them absolutely belted out the national anthem before the game too. You can see what it means to this group to play for their country and for Southgate and his coaching team.
    Only 4 Tunisia players were singing (although 2 of those looked like they just had their mouths open and moving slightly), but all 11 England players were signing and properly too. Can't remember a time we've shown up another team in that respect.

Rate Southgate highly
  • Options

Croydon said:

JamesSeed said:

I loved how the players celebrated it. This is the first group of England players for a long time who genuinely all seem to like each other.
    Not that too much importance should be attached to it but I did notice that every single one of them absolutely belted out the national anthem before the game too. You can see what it means to this group to play for their country and for Southgate and his coaching team.
    I suspect the team are directed (or at least strongly encouraged) to be seen to be singing the anthem passionately. After all, whenever a player doesn't sing it passionately, he gets berated by some sections of the media or society. Nobody gets pelters when they do sing the anthem, so why give yourself that grief?
    Also, I think it's a statement of togetherness rather than nationalistic fervour.

That's not to say that any of these players wouldn't belt the anthem out anyway, but I don't think it tells us much other than that the group is all, ahem, 'singing from the same hymnsheet'. (Apologies for that!) :smiley:
  • Options
    Rose for Young. We need natural width and balance and a left footer playing out there. Sterling - look I appreciate he's a much better player than before but his final ball and his decision making and finishing is not good enough for the top level. Rashford is so much better - finishing, touch, strength and ability to beat a man. For me Rashford gets the nod. The rest, keep as is, so long as Ali is fit.