Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wimbledon 2018 (& the grass court season)

Nottingham, Eastbourne, Queens and then the big one at the end of the month.

Jo Konta, Heather Watson and Katie Boulter are all through the first round at Nottingham. Konta and Watson face each other in the second round. Cameron Norrie is the no.1 seed in the Nottingham mens draw with Dan Evans, James Ward, Alex Ward, Liam Broady, Jay Clarke and George Loffhagen also participating. Broady and Loffhagen were both beaten in the first round.

Queens starts next Monday and already has some big names confirmed for the tournament including Djokovic, Del Potro, Cilic, Wawrinka and Dimitrov. Nadal and Murray are yet to decide if they will take part.

Comments

• Really time for the next generation to step up to the plate. I really don't expect Murray to play at Wimbledon and Djokovic is nowhere near 100%, could be a washout like last year unless the younger players raise their game. I love Fed but I'd like to see him pushed a bit more this year. Nadal hasn't got past the 3rd round for something like 5 years.
  • Really hope to see Murray back... Have missed him from the circuit this past year
  • Really wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see him again.
  • Normally enjoy watching Queen's but somehow I think TV viewing figures might be down this year
  • Really hope to see Murray back... Have missed him from the circuit this past year

I don't think Murray will ever play again. We'll see
  • Riviera said:

Really time for the next generation to step up to the plate. I really don't expect Murray to play at Wimbledon and Djokovic is nowhere near 100%, could be a washout like last year unless the younger players raise their game. I love Fed but I'd like to see him pushed a bit more this year. Nadal hasn't got past the 3rd round for something like 5 years.

Men's tennis needs a few of the young guns to really step up.

It will be interesting how Kyle Edmond copes with the spotlight if Murray isn't there, especially as he's not that good on grass
  • Riviera said:

Really wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see him again.

I agree.

At best he might play a season of doubles with his brother before finishing. His singles career is over though I think.

I'd love to be proved wrong though.
  • Riviera said:

Really wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see him again.

I've prematurely written off Nadal and Federer over the last few years. With that in mind I'm going to call time on Murray's career and hope my prediction works out as well for him as it has for the other two.
  • I remember one of the former players (before Andy had the operation) saying that a hip operation would be really hard to recover from, as something similar had effectively ended his career.
    Even with modern surgery techniques, to me it's touch and go whether Murray can return at anywhere near his previous level.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44506760

Murray plays at Queens. Everyone will be watching to see how well he moves...
  • Sponsored links:

• First round underway. Shapovalov and Muller first on.

Murray doesn't get an easy return... he's drawn against Kyrgios tomorrow.
  • First round underway. Shapovalov and Muller first on.

Murray doesn't get an easy return... he's drawn against Kyrgios tomorrow.

To be honest I'm not too worried about how well Murray plays, it's the physical side that's the main issue. If he can get himself back to peak (or at least decent) physical condition, then the tennis side will return with time.

Wavrinka vs Norrie could be interesting, another top player returning from injury
  • edited June 2018
    Murray beat Wawrinka 6-1 6-3 in Eastbourne and will face Kyle Edmund in the second round.

The last match between Murray and Wawrinka was the semi final of the 2017 French Open where Murray was world number 1 and Wawrinka world number 3.

Just over twelves months later and Murray is world number 156, Wawrinka is world number 261.
  • edited June 2018
    So Edmund the second seed beats Murray 6-4 6-4 in the second round to advance to the quarter final where he'll face Mikhail Kukushkin. In the other half of the draw Cameron Norrie defeated Jay Clarke to advance the quarter final. He'll play Lukas Lacko who knocked out top seed Diego Schwartzman.

The other quarter finals are Shapovalov[3] v M.Zverev and Cecchinato[4] v Millman.
  • edited June 2018
    At the same tournament, Jo Konta lost to top seed Wozniacki in three sets.
  • I’ve read through this thread and so far nobody has mentioned the shit ticket allocation charlton get...good job we’ve got Valley Gold is all I can say

Possibly wrong thread @letthegoodtimesroll
  • AFC Wimbledon and the AELTC aren't usually confused, though with his injury absence over the last year and perhaps misguided medical advice, Andy Murray does seem to have been Charltonized!
  • Sponsored links:

• Murray (if he plays) will face Benoit Paire at Wimbledon

Edmund starts against Alex Bolt (Australian) yet will potentially face Djokovic in the Third Round
  • http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-5893985/Laura-Robson-faces-hip-surgery-like-Andy-Murray-just-days-Wimbledon-begins.html

Laura Robson, after all her wrist problems, will now need a hip operation

I remember that junior win at Wimbledon 10 years ago, and the optimism that she would go on to be a future Grand Slam winner...
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44643747

Jacko's mate James Ward loses in the final round of qualifying
  • Hope Murray can win a few games, will be nice to see him back but dont think he will have much chance. Fingers crossed this could be his road to recovery and can just regain some form of fitness and form.
  • 3rd round will be a triumph for Murray at this stage of his recovery.
  • edited July 2018
    Murray pulled out

Two-time champion Andy Murray has withdrawn from #Wimbledon on the eve of the tournament.

More: https://t.co/Ngi3D5UZQF https://t.co/iuWR8Q8iKY
  • Paire now faces lucky loser Jason Jung
  • edited July 2018
    Shame about Murray pulling out but still plenty of opportunities for other British hopes in both men's and women's draw...
  • Boris Becker just said 'bastard' already. Gonna be tasty this year.
  • Harriet Dart doing well against former world number 1 Pliskova

Just lost 1st set in a tiebreak
    Winning 2nd set 4-1 with 2 breaks