Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options

Bordering on libellous and defamation I would think.

Doubt he cares, probably can’t wait to be shot of us at this point.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Doubt he cares, probably can’t wait to be shot of us at this point.
    Probably true but I would like to think he might pursue it.

• Options

How, exactly?
  • Options

Look, we have a poster who has some sort of twisted idea that he is being patriotic when the rest of us aren't. We are currently in a situation where all sides, Brexiters and Remainers can see it is a mess that should worry everybody who loves this country and he claims to be enjoying it all! Perfectly reasonable for that to be challenged as strongly as people wish to IMO.

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel according to Samuel Johnson in 1775. I share his opinion and believe that it is more relevant than ever today, although perhaps it is time to update the final word.
  • Options

It would be great if all sides could refrain from the 'personals' tbh but equally it's almost inevitable when discussing something so important and so polar that sometimes some people cross the line. For the most part the discussion remains civil enough in comparison to other places, which is to all our credit.

It would also be great if, instead of just trawling for a reaction as certain posters on here (this thread) seem to do exclusively, they actually contributed something positive to counter the constant negativity that those in the Remain side are accussed of. Contrary to perception I'm sure most Remainers would be happy to consider some good news about Brexit (that's factual, not rhetorical, wishful thinking or just regurgitated Leave campaigning).

Well I would really like my good and often wise friend @Dippenhall to explain why the long term and pervasive problem of U.K. Productivity - which he highlighted as being more of a factor in GDP performance than concerns about Brexit - can only be solved by leaving the EU. I asked him that, very specifically. Answer have I none. So it is not surprising that reasonable and reasoned Remainers on here conclude that the Brexiteers are just running on empty, when it comes to rational argument for leaving.

• Options
    The latest offering from RTE's Tony Connolly, in many ways a sobering assessment: https://rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2018/0721/980069-brexit-tony-connelly/.

Just for the record, I think no deal is the most likely option, neither side can, for differing reasons (Theresa May because she cannot command the support of the House, and the EU27, because the UK proposals would require the EU to restructure and undermine itself, with all the attendant treaty changes, to accommodate a third party), seem to compromise enough to agree even a Withdrawal deal.

There seems to be a desire on the UK part to renegotiate what has already been agreed (particularly the Irish border backstop), allied to a failure to recognise that, for the EU, regulatory compliance is at least as important as tariffs in the management of a Single Market (as a result of which, UK proposals are routinely dismissed as inadequate, because they are philosophically incomplete). There really isn't time for such manoeuvrings.

The prospects of political agreement on a future trading arrangement seem equally bleak.

Of course, all this is fine in a week when it appears that Northern Ireland is on the brink of recession, something that can only help make things, already wonderful here, so much better....
  • Options
    Back a couple of years May was asking the EU to be 'creative' in coming up with border solutions, suggesting none of her own. Two years later still no suggested solutions and the new term is that the EU should 'evolve' a border solution.
    The UK voted leave.
    The UK should suggest a solution.
    It isn't even the erroneous suggestion from @Dippenhall that the E,U is being childish, it is about the UK leaving and still expecting others to second guess a suitable solution. Now that's what's childish.
  • Options

The latest offering from RTE's Tony Connolly, in many ways a sobering assessment: https://rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2018/0721/980069-brexit-tony-connelly/.

Just for the record, I think no deal is the most likely option, neither side can, for differing reasons (Theresa May because she cannot command the support of the House, and the EU27, because the UK proposals would require the EU to restructure and undermine itself, with all the attendant treaty changes, to accommodate a third party), seem to compromise enough to agree even a Withdrawal deal.

There seems to be a desire on the UK part to renegotiate what has already been agreed (particularly the Irish border backstop), allied to a failure to recognise that, for the EU, regulatory compliance is at least as important as tariffs in the management of a Single Market (as a result of which, UK proposals are routinely dismissed as inadequate, because they are philosophically incomplete). There really isn't time for such manoeuvrings.

The prospects of political agreement on a future trading arrangement seem equally bleak.

Of course, all this is fine in a week when it appears that Northern Ireland is on the brink of recession, something that can only help make things, already wonderful here, so much better....

I agree although what we will be told is that we an agreed exit but what it will be in fact is a Hard Brexit by another name, a Habban perhaps.

Or the adults will come to their senses and rethink the whole thing, but that is more hope on my part.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    seth plum said:

Back a couple of years May was asking the EU to be 'creative' in coming up with border solutions, suggesting none of her own. Two years later still no suggested solutions and the new term is that the EU should 'evolve' a border solution.
    The UK voted leave.
    It isn't even the erroneous suggestion from @Dippenhall that the E,U is being childish, it is about the UK leaving and still expecting others to second guess a suitable solution. Now that's what's childish.

I think at this point the easiest, cheapest and most comprehensive way of resolving the border would be to annex the Republic of Ireland.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

seth plum said:

The UK voted leave.

I think at this point the easiest, cheapest and most comprehensive way of resolving the border would be to annex the Republic of Ireland.
    Well if they haven't got an air force capable of defending their own airspace... problem solved :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I think the Libs could work with Labour after a new election, as can the SNP. I don't think it would have to be under a coalition, just an anti Tory alliance. What so many people miss about Labour is that they fought the clearest campaign any party has done for decades. The manifesto was costed and social democratic, not loony lefty. I posted a recent John Major speech on here and a lot of the things he suggested aligned with Labour policy.

Where there is the biggest difference is over Europe, but if we saw a massive pro Europe vote in an election i'm sure positions would change. Whilst I support Corbyn, my preference would be to have a minority government, where a combination of the nationalist parties, the Libs and Labour had a clear majority. I think it would help bring the country together! And importantly, the solutions for our future and the EU will not come from this current shambles of a government which has been nothing short of a disgrace over the past few years!
  • Options

@seriously_red as usual ( on this topic) I agree with about 80% of your mega post. We will never agree on Corbyn, but never mind. Just on your final remark re the Lib Dems, they would of course argue that in fact their presence mitigated some of the worst austerity policies. And their choice was stark. As Clegg has often said, the objective of a party is to govern. Would you have had them stay in opposition on principle? They could not join with Labour, the public, worked up by the Mail and the Sun would never have worn such a coalition. Maybe the bigger problem is that neither our system nor our mindset supports coalition politics.

When surely coalitions work the best, with each side moderating the other
  • Options

@seriously_red as usual ( on this topic) I agree with about 80% of your mega post. We will never agree on Corbyn, but never mind. Just on your final remark re the Lib Dems, they would of course argue that in fact their presence mitigated some of the worst austerity policies. And their choice was stark. As Clegg has often said, the objective of a party is to govern. Would you have had them stay in opposition on principle? They could not join with Labour, the public, worked up by the Mail and the Sun would never have worn such a coalition. Maybe the bigger problem is that neither our system nor our mindset supports coalition politics.

When surely coalitions work the best, with each side moderating the other
    Yes, I agree, and for that I suppose you need for no party to be super dominant. Did you ever watch the Danish series, "Borgen"? Apart from being a great drama in its own right, it's a masterclass in demonstrating how European coalitions work (far from seamless, but they work).

• Options

Ford and vauxhall

So foreign anyway.

What do you drive...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stig said:

@Red_in_SE8 , please can you have your argument without resorting to personal insults.

What? Are you serious? Chippy dishes out cheap personal insults on here on an almost daily basis. I only ever respond in kind when I am a target. And I will continue to do so.
    Not daily at least every few days.... But never to people who know what they are talking about.....
  • Options

Ford and vauxhall

So foreign anyway.

What do you drive...
    Sadly my car is old.

A Rolls Royce Silver Wraith (1958)

Now of course Rolls is a full subsidiary of those bastard Germans BMW but in 1958 it was pride of The Empire.

I’m hoping that one of Rees Moggs friends can prise the mark away from Herman the German and make us all proud again. A Roller coming off the production line fully English would bring tears to my eyes. I’ve even dreamt it might be called The Rolls-Royce Blue Passport.

• Options

Ford and vauxhall

So foreign anyway.

What do you drive...
    Sadly my car is old.

Now of course Rolls is a full subsidiary of those bastard Germans BMW but in 1958 it was pride of The Empire.

I’m hoping that one of Rees Moggs friends can prise the mark away from Herman the German and make us all proud again. A Roller coming off the production line fully English would bring tears to my eyes. I’ve even dreamt it might be called The Rolls-Royce Blue Passport.

No google or cut and paste can help you out this time could it.... What's moggy got to do with what car you drive... BASICS....
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

The more I learn about Rees-Mogg the more I dislike him.

I don't get how it's legal nor why it's apparently a non-issue.

The FT today:

If being a patriot is dragging your country through the mud then I'm glad I'm not one.
    Me too.
  • Options

Ford and vauxhall

So foreign anyway.

What do you drive...
    Sadly my car is old.

No google or cut and paste can help you out this time could it.... What's moggy got to do with what car you drive... BASICS....
    You are for once correct. I didn’t think of google to answer the question of what car I drive.

It’s a Citroen.

Basics

• Options
    Good choice
  • Options
    If we're talking about basics Chippy, how about you start off with learning not to break the quoting eh?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

If we're talking about basics Chippy, how about you start off with learning not to break the quoting eh?

Indeed i owe you a few flags... Man up.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!