Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Bristol Rovers | Sat 24 Nov | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers
Saturday 24th November 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Nicholas Kinseley (Essex)

Introduction

Cup action takes a break this weekend as the Addicks return to the side show that is League One… Having played three cup games since our last league clash (a distant 2-0 win away at Walsall) it’s a rare occurrence to return to what must be a priority for Lee Bowyer and his side. Last weekend would see a complete break from Football for Charlton as we once again sat on the side-lines for the last International Break of the calendar year!!

This Saturday will see Charlton playing host to Bristol Rovers… as with our last international break it’s important that we quickly begin to close the gap on a top five that are slowly breaking away from the rest of the Division, this remains a league where anyone can beat anyone, so let’s send home the Pirates without any bounty!! Garr!!

The Opposition
Name: Bristol Rovers | Manager: Darrell Clarke
Ground: Memorial Stadium

Its well known that Football Managers have a short life span when it comes to job security and as expected; AFC Wimbledon would lose their Manager: Neal Ardley as the sack race slowly gathers pace – I mention that reference because despite achieving great things with a club, only one mistake can undo your legacy and leave you back in the Job Centre and Darrell Clarke could potentially be that sort of man

Of course there are no signals that Bristol Rovers are going to dispense of Clarke’s services and I only mention the possibility because of their poor league position – Currently in the last of the relegation spots; the Pirates would have hoped to have been in a better position at this stage of the season, especially after a very respectful mid table last season!!...

The summer too saw our opponents strengthen in the summer; Stefan Payne and Alex Rodman made the trip down from Shrewsbury after impressing last year whilst Ed Upson (once of Millwall) has remained at this level after suffering relegation with Milton Keynes Dons last term… Most notable was the incoming of Tarieq Holmes-Dennis, the ex-Charlton youngster, signed from Huddersfield Town, has had nightmare twelve months due to injury and would only make his debut for his new side last week in the Football League Trophy.

Charlton Team News
The highlight of previous previews has been the fact that Billy Clarke has been back in contention, and having played another seventy five minutes against Mansfield on Tuesday will be in serious contention for Saturday – In his recent press conference; Lee Bowyer has been able to welcome back both Ben Reeves and Jamie Ward to the squad, the latter having initially been a doubt after suffering a dead leg whilst on International Duty with Northern Ireland.

It’s a sign of how threadbare our squad is, yet also a sign of how strong our U23 squad is when we can comfortably call upon our youngsters to fill the gaps – Bowyer today confirmed that Toby Stevenson will be on the bench after a string of impressive cup performances, his inclusion will no doubt be ahead of Lyle Taylor who serves his one match ban after picking up his fifth yellow card against Walsall.

Steer
Dijksteel | Bielik | Pearce | Solly
Aribo | Clarke | Reeves
Ward
Ajose | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Bauer | Stevenson | Lapslie | Marshall | Fosu

Prediction
Despite a 1-1 draw at the Memorial Stadium last season, the Addicks have had an impressive record against their opponents of late and you have to go back to 1958 to find an away win in this fixture – With other injured players now returning to play a part you’d have to hope its not us that are full of Gas for once and that a comfortable three points are recorded ahead of our trip to Burton Albion on Tuesday!!

Comments

• edited November 2018
    remember Novak getting sent off very early last year in the season opener .. we still beat them 1-0

We continue our great form with a win against a team in very bad form

CAFC 2 v Bristol Rovers 0
  • 2-0 to Charlton.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Have a feeling we will win comfortably 3-0, although these are the games we always seem to slip up. COYR
  • edited November 2018
    Thanks, ForeverAddickted

Assuming all fit enough, I would start with:

Steer
    Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Sarr
    Aribo | Bielik | Reeves or Lapslie
    Ajose | Grant | Fosu
  • Steer
    Solly/ BFG/ Pearce/ Sarr
    Aribo, Lapslie
    Fosu, Clarke,Grant
    Ajose

Not sure we would ever go for this but happy for Grant/Ajose to switch from inside forward to main striker from the left. Lapslie / Aribo probably too attacking so maybe Prattley for Lapslie and Clarke/ Lapslie, is Prattley unavailable?
  • edited November 2018

Steer
    Solly/ BFG/ Pearce/ Sarr
    Aribo, Lapslie
    Fosu, Clarke,Grant
    Ajose

Not sure we would ever go for this but happy for Grant/Ajose to switch from inside forward to main striker from the left. Lapslie / Aribo probably too attacking so maybe Prattley for Lapslie and Clarke/ Lapslie, is Prattley unavailable?

Pratley is injured mate I'd go with that except Beilik has been outstanding of late so I'd have him in place of Lapslie or Clarke and assuming Bauer is given the nod at CB.
  • Charlton’s leading scorer will be unavailable for Saturday’s Sky Bet league One clash against Bristol Rovers after he picked up his fifth booking of the season against Walsall earlier this month.

That could hand an opportunity to the likes of Nicky Ajose or Reeco Hackett-Fairchild and Bowyer wants whoever he selects to make an impact.

“Prats has got a chance… no chance,” Bowyer joked. “He’s in a knee brace and is going for a scan today [Thursday]. Hopefully it isn’t too bad but it will be weeks rather than days I’m sure.”

More positively, however, Patrick Bauer could return to the squad. The German featured for 60 minutes on Tuesday night and could be in contention to start against Rovers.

Bowyer said: “It was good to get an hour into Pat on Tuesday. He’s come through that unscathed and he will train today [Thursday]. It will be a tough one, hopefully he gets through it okay and tomorrow we will see how he feels.

“The most important thing is that he came through the 60 minutes and that is big plus for him and us because we have a lot of games coming up.”

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bf6cf1d2abcc/lee-bowyer-on-charlton-being-without-lyle-taylor-and-patrick-bauers-return

• Expecting a positive result for this, 3-1 Addicks win.
  • Form guide says three points here BUT...No Taylor and Brizzle smarting from their FA Cup defeat against the mighty Barnet. Need I say more?
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-1 and very cold and if I went I’d probably fall over and hurt my elbow or something.
  • 2-0 win to keep our good form up. This is a must win as we have three away league matches after this game. Overall, I am very confident we will get a win and keep our promotion campaign on track.

• Just realised although i feel this should be comfortable, we have alot of doubts and injuries, we are missing our main man Taylor. So a bit worried about the firepower, hopefully Grant/Ajose can step up or about time Fosu had a stormer!
  • I find myself facing a real quandary.

BBC are broadcasting live from the DUP conference, starting at 3pm on Saturday.

How could I tear myself away from the intellectual brilliance of of the party cadres lined up in support of Joe Pasquale's Arlene Foster's inspired political leadership, especially when the likes of a recent failed Foreign Secretary (the Chancellor of the Exchequer speaking tomorrow night) are reputed to be there as well?

Such an alluring prospect, even if I leave aside the awe-inspiring majesty of Edwin Poots' ears.

It's a toughie, it really is...
  • If Bauer starts could Bowyer change to a 3-4-1-2 formation

Steer
    Bauer | Bielik | Pearce
    Solly | Aribo | Clarke | Fosu
    Ward
    Ajose | Grant

I keep hearing Fosu plays better from the left wing, although he will not give much cover on that side. If it was a top game I would put in either Reeves or Lapslie, but let us attack them from the start, after all they just lost at home to non-league Barnet. Even without Taylor, I go for a 3-0 win
  • Steer
    Dijksteel, Bauer, Pearce, Solly
    Bielik
    Aribo, Reeves
    Ward
    Ajose, Grant

Can see it being tight as I feel they’ll come for a point and we might be toothless without Taylor, but if think we’ll have just enough.

1-0
  • 3-0. Either Ajose or Grant with a hat trick.
  • 3-0. Either Ajose or Grant with a hat trick.

If Ajose gets a hatrick I'll run round the pitch naked.
    Please don’t.
  • Sponsored links:

• I find myself facing a real quandary.

BBC are broadcasting live from the DUP conference, starting at 3pm on Saturday.

How could I tear myself away from the intellectual brilliance of of the party cadres lined up in support of Joe Pasquale's Arlene Foster's inspired political leadership, especially when the likes of a recent failed Foreign Secretary (the Chancellor of the Exchequer speaking tomorrow night) are reputed to be there as well?

Such an alluring prospect, even if I leave aside the awe-inspiring majesty of Edwin Poots' ears.

It's a toughie, it really is...

Think I’ll watch England Australia rugby :wink:
  • edited November 2018
    They have nothing to lose. Pirates who have lost their stripes.

Can't see past 0-5.
  • We have the ref who looks like Claude from Arsenal Fan TV.
  • Can't see where the goals are going to come from & we have no-one who can hold the ball up & make it stick with Taylor being out.

1-2.
  • Can't see where the goals are going to come from & we have no-one who can hold the ball up & make it stick with Taylor being out.

1-2.

Grant. Both he and Taylor have scored the same number of goals in the league. 8
  • 2 - 0 Charlton , Grant & Clarke.
  • bristol rovers are struggling behind the scenes, players not getting on etc.
    our next league 5 are - current league position in brackets;

bristol rovers h (21st)
    burton albion a (13th)
    blackpool a (7th)
    pompey a (1st )
    wimbledon h (23rd)

to keep promotion dreams alive 7 points from that lot minimum i think, games like tomorrow need to be 3 points, the charlton way is to beat Blackpool and pompey away and lose to the other 3 so who knows,

charlton 3 - bristol rovers 1
  • bristol rovers are struggling behind the scenes, players not getting on etc.
    our next league 5 are - current league position in brackets;

bristol rovers h (21st)
    burton albion a (13th)
    blackpool a (7th)
    pompey a (1st )
    wimbledon h (23rd)

to keep promotion dreams alive 7 points from that lot minimum i think, games like tomorrow need to be 3 points, the charlton way is to beat Blackpool and pompey away and lose to the other 3 so who knows,

charlton 3 - bristol rovers 1

Think we need more than two wins

ideally need 12 points from those games and then can accept a defeat at Portsmouth worst case scenario

if we can only get 7-points then we'd have to beat Portsmouth