Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Drones at Gatwick

Comments

• People have died from falling bullets. I don't think we can look to the middle East as inspiration for anything in life to be honest.
  • I haven't read all of the comments

I just wish you would all stop droning on
  • I'm really fucking sorry if that has already been posted
  • Carter said:

I'm really fucking sorry if that has already been posted

You will be sunshine
  • Fight, Fight............... ;)
  • addick05 said:

Police saying that shooting it down would just be too dangerous. I’m no expert and have to accept that explanation but it seems odd to me that a special or even not so special marksman with a suitable weapon ought to be able to shoot down a drone.

I’m sure someone with greater knowledge will be able to tell me I’m wrong.

As someone mentioned earlier, if this was happening in the states, they would have been shot down hours ago.
    Yes but who would they have shot down?
    In the States? Everyone in range!
  • We need a task force ! Thatcher wouldn't have put up with this !
  • Rizzo said:

addick05 said:

Police saying that shooting it down would just be too dangerous. I’m no expert and have to accept that explanation but it seems odd to me that a special or even not so special marksman with a suitable weapon ought to be able to shoot down a drone.

I’m sure someone with greater knowledge will be able to tell me I’m wrong.

As someone mentioned earlier, if this was happening in the states, they would have been shot down hours ago.
    Yes but who would they have shot down?
    In the States? Everyone in range!
    is that a gun in yer pocket .. or are you just pleased to see me ?
  • They should get Nicky Bailey to stand on the runway at Gatwick taking penalties - that will sort it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just saw this piece about anti-drone guns and you do have to wonder why Gatwick haven't got a few on standby.

https://defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/navy-league/2018/04/10/this-gun-shoots-drones-out-of-the-sky/
  • edited December 2018
    Huskaris said:

People have died from falling bullets. I don't think we can look to the middle East as inspiration for anything in life to be honest.

What are the odds of a stray bullet hitting someone? 1000/1? maybe even 10,000/1? Compared to the costs of having a major London airport shut for almost 24 hours it seems a poor risk analysis.
  • Jokes aside, these things can be brought down easily enough with a decent larger bore shotgun. I'm not sure how much the drones cost, but I wouldn't have thought it would take many to being brought down to help stop people doing it
  • Jokes aside, these things can be brought down easily enough with a decent larger bore shotgun. I'm not sure how much the drones cost, but I wouldn't have thought it would take many to being brought down to help stop people doing it

I assume they're flying high enough to be out of shotgun range or theyd already have been shot down.
  • edited December 2018
    "Studies suggest that, although the velocity of a falling bullet is lower than that of one which has just been fired, it is still sufficient to be fatal.

According to a 1962 study, .30 calibre rounds can reach terminal velocities of 300 feet (91m) per second as they fall. More recent research has indicated that 200 feet (61m) per second is enough to penetrate the skull"
  • .... apparently the Portuguese police use birds of prey to knock em out the sky too
  • Rizzo said:

"Studies suggest that, although the velocity of a falling bullet is lower than that of one which has just been fired, it is still sufficient to be fatal.

According to a 1962 study, .30 calibre rounds can reach terminal velocities of 300 feet (91m) per second as they fall. More recent research has indicated that 200 feet (61m) per second is enough to penetrate the skull"

Thats a bullet
  • No flights until at least 7.00pm

I assume they're flying high enough to be out of shotgun range or theyd already have been shot down.
    It's generally looked at as unethical to shoot pigeon over about 50 yards away, but if it was a good shot, a shotgun would probably kill a pigeon at around 75-80 yeards depending on load. Take away ethics and the fact that only a couple of shot need to hit the target to bring a drone down, I reckon it would be effective up to around 90 yeard s.

And if it weren't, it would be good sport trying....
  • Armed police now around the airport...
  • Sponsored links:

• Huskaris said:

You can not fire bullets into the air.. where do they end up?

Those lovely lads in the Middle East seem to enjoy firing their guns in the air without injury...?
    probably firing blanks
  • Huskaris said:

Those lovely lads in the Middle East seem to enjoy firing their guns in the air without injury...?
    probably firing blanks
  • Huskaris said:

probably firing blanks
    hahahahah ooooh matron ((:>)
  • Very imperial of you @i_b_b_o_r_g.

So if they ha e the drones above 85 metres then you won’t get them with a shotgun.

If you are using a rifle they can be a very long distance away (1.5 miles max for a really decent sniper with a really decent riifle?)
  • Very imperial of you @i_b_b_o_r_g.

So if they ha e the drones above 85 metres then you won’t get them with a shotgun.

If you are using a rifle they can be a very long distance away (1.5 miles max for a really decent sniper with a really decent riifle?)

Firing a rifle into the air and without a backstop is possible the most stupid thing someone could do, short of pointing one directly at another person
  • My flight back was cancelled this morning. Now stuck in MILAN with excited kids and stressed wife. Managed to get on flight tomorrow morning but I am starting to worry about that flight and not getting to Valley on Saturday.
  • My flight back was cancelled this morning. Now stuck in MILAN with excited kids and stressed wife. Managed to get on flight tomorrow morning but I am starting to worry about that flight and not getting to Valley on Saturday.

unfortunately you're far from alone in this mess .. according to a radio news item this p.m. over 100,000 people have been affected so far .. all the best in getting home and even more importantly, making the Valley by 15.00 hrs on Saturday ((:>)
  • Yeah the end of the parabola is not known and very dangerous. Get that.

So if the drones are above 100 metres there is no basic gun based approach of safety taking them out.

Interesting that they can be run off 4G, could be anyone with a phone and tricky I would think to isolate the link.

If the perps are serious this could be a major pain in the arse until a safe solution Is found.