Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Quorn and Vegetarians

edited November 2008 in Not Sports Related
A previous thread seems to have got on to the subject of Vegetarians and Quorn.

How many vegetarians are on the list?

How many non veggies eat Quorn or other *vegetartian* food like Tofu?

Continuing the Quron facts, Luke Varney played for Quorn FC.

Comments

• I'm not vegetarian but i eat Realeat Vegi mince a lot.

Sweeping statement coming up- Try it- not the cheaper supermarket versions, as a meat substitute in Curries,Spag bol, indeed any thing that with a sauce- it's better that beef mince- less fat, easier to use, cheaper and absorbes the liquid better- you'll need to use a bit more liquid, but it'll will also therefore absorb the flavours you add.

Quorn is IMHO overpriced and no where near as good...
  • use that quite often myself,great for shepherd pies. read somewhere recently that checks were done in some restaurants on their 'minced' dishes and they found many of them to be using TVP mince
  • My wife's a vegetarian but she hates the idea of fake mate and vegetarian food prepared to have the same texture as meats.
  • [cite]Posted By: ads[/cite]use that quite often myself,great for shepherd pies. read somewhere recently that checks were done in some restaurants on their 'minced' dishes and they found many of them to be using TVP mince

I've heard that as well....
  • [cite]Posted By: Show_Me_The_Mouni[/cite]My wife's a vegetarian but she hates the idea of fake mate and vegetarian food prepared to have the same texture as meats.

I eat fish ....... but I can't digest meat, so I eat a lot of vegetarian food.

There's non-meat dishes from the whole world to choose from - spicy, tasty, appetizing and nourishing.
    Many meat eaters eat them already.

Why on earth do you need 'fake' meat ......?
  • edited November 2008
    In a way, Quorn is designed for Vegetarians who used to eat meat, & enjoy the style of the food & the way its presented(like its meat counterparts). Its more the ethical reason of eating dead animals influencing choice, rather than the physical feeling of eating it, such as texture or flavour. (Some family & friends being vegetarians & citing this as reason for choice)

I enjoy Quorn products, some of the stuff is really nice, the southern style Quorn burgers, escalopes, Lasagnes & cottage pies being particular favourites, along with the quorn pieces & mince. I've tricked/introduced Quorn mince & pieces into many a dish for the more carnivorous of family & friends & they have all liked them.

Quorn is made largely from mushrooms which have loads of iron,(the vegetarians meat) & has less fat than meat, so I say its a good thing. I'm not a vegetarian, but I love my veg'(& I'm a bit of a fruit freak). I make plenty of dishes which are only veg', without the use of Quorn, but I think Quorn is a pretty good meat alternative & would happily eat that if there was a sudden cull in meat.

The Realeat stuff is good too!

I'd recommend all of the above & more, to people who havent tried the stuff.
  • I don't eat meat or fish. I believe Quorn is in Leicestershire, south of Loughborough, don't think it's Lukes home town though...might be.
    The thing about Quorn is that it is a protein, developed from mushrooms, that has not got any fat to speak of, and is so versatile and easy to cook with, there is no waste.
    Try
    Heating up some chopped garlic, leek and ginger in a little decent oil (not double extra virgin, but a nice vegetable oil). Put into the frying pan some chopped peppers or whatever, then a spoon of chinese chilli sauce. Add a packet of quorn pieces, a dash of soy sauce, fry and stir for five mins or so. Thenn add some chopped cauli and broccolli, heat through, and near the end a tin of decent quality chopped tomatoes. Heat right through stirring it from time to time.
    Serve on (preferably nutty brown rice, but I always mess up cooking it!)) a bed of rice...glass of Chianti Reserva, slice of Pannatone to follow...nice meal. Sling in a glass of freshly squeezed something to start...I reckon you will feed four for about £16 squids...£4 a head for a nice dinner.
    I like tofu, but usually the texture is slimy, but the Marks and Spencer smoked variety is really good and cooks well with a bit of a chew to it.
    Next instalment, green and brown lentil shepherds pie (I really dislike those split red lentils).
    There is a Chinese cash and carry near the peninsular Sainsburys where you can get fantastic stuff really cheap. A mediun bag of Thai Three Elephant Rice...lasts months, for about £7, or a big box of Pistachio nuts for about £1.50...which Sainsburys sell about a fifth of for about £2 a pack!
    Sainsburys also did a decent Quorn 'peppered beef' (I know a meat related name...sheesh!) pastry...ok about 1.30 each, but if they were on sale at the Valley...they only need heating through....then I would probably be prepared to pay £2 for one at the footie, as it is we have one choice only.
    I reckon about 12% of the population is vegetarian, around the same number as left handed people I think....that prpbably translates to about 400 people in a reasonable home crowd...probably not worth Charlton catering for...mind you ordering a box of some decent pies or pastries to heat through can't be that much of a strain on the food suppliers can it?
  • [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]...mind you ordering a box of some decent pies or pastries to heat through can't be that much of a strain on the food suppliers can it?

If they can't manage it for the 19'600 normal people in the crowd, I somehow don't think they will for the veggies Seth... :-(
  • Thanks for the recipe, Seth ........ I haven't got a kitchen at the moment as Homebase have let me down badly, and I'm still waiting for them to sort out their chaos.

But I'll try the recipe out on my favourite lady person as soon as I can.
    Nice one!
  • could never ever do it myself... couldn't live without a proper ruby, steak, roast beef etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish.

Eat Quorn reasonably regularly. Some of the extended product range aren't so great (they often taste quite artificial), but the chunks/mince/fillets are great for cooking with - especially the pieces, as demonstrated by Seth above. They are versatile and surprisingly tasty and take any flavour really well.

You're making me hungry!
  • I dont eat any meat or fish and I dont like Quorn.
    I have never liked eating meat and I dont feel the need to replace it with a look-a-likey.
  • Algarve wrote: 'If they can't manage it for the 19'600 normal people in the crowd, I somehow don't think they will for the veggies Seth... :-( '

Normal?
    Does that make vegetarians abnormal?
    As in not the norm...yes I suppose, but the idea is often put about that vegetarians are not normal, i.e. wierd, now that is a drag.
    I often wonder if there are vegetarian footballers in the British leagues, seeing as there has only ever been one gay footballer (oh yeah), I suppose all footballers are carnivores...Nobby Stiles even used to bite legs, or was that Norman Hunter?
  • I believe one of the high profile Lifers is a veggie. Can't remember if its AFKA or Lookout ;-)

My other half is a vegetarian, she hates anything that is 'fake' meat, and I can't blame her. Therefore we eat a lot of vegetarian food at home. I don't insist that she cooks me up a big steak for when I get in and I'm fortunate that I eat out a lot and can get my 'meat fixes' elsewhere but I eat far more fish than red meat.

I've certainly eaten a lot more healthier since I've known her.
  • [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Algarve wrote: 'If they can't manage it for the 19'600 normal people in the crowd, I somehow don't think they will for the veggies Seth... :-( '

Normal?
    Does that make vegetarians abnormal?
    As in not the norm...yes I suppose, but the idea is often put about that vegetarians are not normal, i.e. wierd, now that is a drag.
    I often wonder if there are vegetarian footballers in the British leagues, seeing as there has only ever been one gay footballer (oh yeah), I suppose all footballers are carnivores...Nobby Stiles even used to bite legs, or was that Norman Hunter?

Well, kind of (and I don't mean that in an unkind way) after all, we have incisors and molars, we are made to be omnivores, we are supposed to eat (some) meat, although not in the vast quantities that we do! But I don't think it makes you weird Seth.

I used to live with a veggie lass, and she only liked about three of the "standard" vegatables. Now that was flippin' awkward!
  • [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]I reckon about 12% of the population is vegetarian, around the same number as left handed people I think....that prpbably translates to about 400 people in a reasonable home crowd...probably not worth Charlton catering for...mind you ordering a box of some decent pies or pastries to heat through can't be that much of a strain on the food suppliers can it?

Hi Seth, 12% would make it about 2500 people at home matches, might be worth the club investigating. I've noticed that acouple of the burger stall outside the ground sell 'veggie burgers' but they're probably cooked on the same grill plate as the meaty burgers so I don't bother with them. It might be interesting to find out if they sell many thoght.
  • I was a Veggie for more than 10 years, from the late 80's onwards - I am however a Food Scientist by qualification & saw at first hand where our meat came from and how it was processed at the time - pu tm eoff completely!!

Happy to say though that am now back to being a fully fledged carnivore & have indeed in the past few weeks alone consumed bison, reindeer, elk & moose! Meat - I love it!
  • I've been a veggie since I was ten years old. I eat a fair bit of Quorn, but don't really like it to be honest. I need protein in my diet though, and Quorn seems one of the few ways for veggies to get it.
  • God gave us teeth to eat meat if he had wanted us to just eat veg he would have given us a blender.
  • Rabbits have teeth too, GH and they don't eat meat ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Completely incorrect. God/evolution designed humans as vegetarians. Hence the appendix, a now redundant bodypart whose sole function was to digest leaves (the main or only diet of the earliest humans), etc. So yah boo sucks to you.
  • Hence the canines and incisors eh f&h?
  • Apparently the body evolved to adapt to eating animals.

Humans have a short gut - where wild carnovores have a long gut much more suitable to digest flesh.

Maybe that's why modern day man has so many digestion related illnesses.
    No axe to grind - but something to ponder?
  • vegies have no teeth FACT they all wear dentures and use dentofix !
  • 2 vegetarians in this house, we eat tofu not replacement meat - yuk. Favourite meal african sweet potato stew , sweet potatoes in a peanut and curry tomatoey sauce with mushroomas and spinach - yummy, even for meat eaters
  • - I see 'replacement meat' like Quorn as a way of easing into vegetarianism. The fact that it doesn't exist in France is perhaps why there are only 2% veggys here as opposed to 12% in the UK.

- Some 'meat-like' products: http://www.meat-free.org.uk/mf_key_players.aspx

- The teeth argument is daft. Loads of herbivores have teeth - probably so they can chew vegetables. God cannot give us a blender so he gave us teeth. Not that I believe God exists.
  • Us veggies-- Higher form of life. Fact
  • Not getting into a philosophical argument here about whether eating meat is 'right' or 'wrong'.

However, these are facts regarding human anatomy and dentition - and widely accepted theories regarding human evolution.

Firstly, the anatomical argument. Human beings' digestive systems share more in common with bears than with large predators or grazing herbivores. Bears are omnivorous (meaning they eat a mixed diet of meat and non-meat). Our digestive tract is extremely dissimilar to that of big cats (the best example of a predator), which might explain why humans have such a hard time digesting red meat (and why, as a result, we develop bowel problems as we get older). However, we also do not share many of the characteristics of sheep' and other herbivores' digestive systems (multiple stomachs, shortened digestive tracts etc)

Moving onto the dentition. We have molars, premolars, incisors and canines. Contrary to popular believe, the presence of canines and incisors does NOT indicate that we were originally descended from carnivores. However, the fact that we also have 'wisdom' teeth (large and placed right at the back of the jaw) but no longer 'use' them in any real way (indeed, they are usually removed where possible/appropriate to prevent toothace, gum disease, TMJ and to allow other teeth room to grow properly in our jaws) indicates that we DID evolve from animals that were largely - if not wholly herbivorous.

Finally, the evolutionary aspects. It is widely accepted as fact by palaeobiologists that we are descended from himinids that first walked upright on a consistent basis around 2 million years ago. Prior to that, our ancestors were most likely to have been a Chimpanzee-like species which is probably extinct (most primate biologists believe that Chimpanzees probably evolved a second 'line' of upright hominid that eventually became Neanderthal man which - in true Homo Sapiens tradition - we hunted to extinction some 30,000 years ago. Chimpanzees are largely herbivorous - but do occasionally eat meat. It is likely, however, that the move into colder, northern lands accelerated our need to eat more meat - simply because there was less vegetation available to forage from. This, coupled with the loss of use of our 'wisdom' teeth and evolution of our jaws to accomodate more ripping and tearing as opposed to masticating, can only lead sensible people to conclude that, whilst we may well have originally evolved from herbivorous primates, we are now omnivorous and should eat quantities of both vegetables and meat.

Ergo, in short, anyone who is a vegetarian is a tree-dwelling throwback.

I thank you.
  • and another fact vegies are all bald . The whole UK wig industry owes its life to vegies whose hair falls out through lack of protien (sic).

as for Vegans one gust of wind (caused by the vegies who fart non stop) and the fall over owing to the fact that their bones have turned to dust. FACT.

PS just have the worst Ruby ever anywhere in the known universe. Lamb ?????????????????? try a camals grand parent. Thats wot u get for feeling sorry 4 the none meat eaters.

PSS ----- Vegtables have feeling to !
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]and another fact vegies are all bald . The whole UK wig industry owes its life to vegies whose hair falls out through lack of protien (sic).

as for Vegans one gust of wind (caused by the vegies who fart non stop) and the fall over owing to the fact that their bones have turned to dust. FACT.

PS just have the worst Ruby ever anywhere in the known universe. Lamb ?????????????????? try a camals grand parent. Thats wot u get for feeling sorry 4 the none meat eaters.

PSS
    Vegtables have feeling to !

1. Vegetables don't have feelings

2. Vegetarians only suffer from a lack of protein if they don't eat protein (sounds obvious but then that just shows how stupid you sound).

Sorry if that sounds insulting but then so are you.