Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Related Questions on Quiz Shows

On Pointless the other night, two Charlton related pointless answers.

Name any player from Liverpool's 2005 Champions League Final Squad: Djimi Traore and Scott Carson.

Comments

• Charlton were a pointless answer for "losing fa cup finalists"
  • We were also mentioned on mastermind, when they had a Huddersfield Town fan on and a question on University Challenge, something along the lines, "which team were losing 5-1 but came back to win 6-7"
  • Name any PFA young player of the year?

Scott Parker (Pointless)
  • I am a quiz master for a couple of long standing events in the T Wells area the regulars know that they will be getting a Charlton question in the sports round although I have changed it up a couple of times and asked a question about Palace defeat
  • I am a quiz master for a couple of long standing events in the T Wells area the regulars know that they will be getting a Charlton question in the sports round although I have changed it up a couple of times and asked a question about Palace defeat

Wasn't someone called Perry Suckling involved in a big Palace defeat?, I seem to vaguely remember something about it.
  • Two ex Addicks mentioned in the money round on Pointless this week. Lloyd Sam and Bradley Wright Phillips both scored one point. The question was about anyone who had ever played for New York Red Bulls or New York City. Shaun Wright Phillips was pointless as was the likes of David Villa. One has to conclude that a Charlton fan was asked in one of the 100 people as it seems too far fetched that a non Addick would have dear old Lloyd Sam etched in his memory.

Somewhat ironic that I've dredged this thread up and I've been name checked in the post above from a year ago.

I hadn't realised that SWP had played for NYRB as well

BWP now has 104 goals in 174 appearances, I can't imagine anyone would have expected his career out there to be such a success after he left us.
  • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was on one of their picture walls the other day. I can't remember how many points he was worth, but it was less than the number of his waistline.
  • Stig said:

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was on one of their picture walls the other day. I can't remember how many points he was worth, but it was less than the number of his waistline.

99?
  • Name any sports stadium designed by Archibald Leitch?

The Valley (pointless answer)
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Name any sports stadium designed by Archibald Leitch?

The Valley (pointless answer)

Really? I didn't know The Valley was by Leitch.
  • I saw that one the other day, he also did the Den and Selhurst Park.
  • Ha ha, I reckon that's it, they've got confused between Charlton and Bradford.

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=202257
  • I'd have thought it not particularly demanding in the world of architecture.

Start with a pitch sized rectangle and then surround with a further four oblongs for people to stand in.
  • edited April 2018
    Interestingly, Leitch's biographer Simon Inglis states, "Between 1900 and 1939 his client list included ...Charlton...". Has Inglis got it wrong or did Leitch perhaps do some consultancy work without actually building anything?

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/meet-archibald-leitch-man-who-invented-football-stadium
  • I'd have thought it not particularly demanding in the world of architecture.

Start with a pitch sized rectangle and then surround with a further four oblongs for people to stand in.

Oh how wrong sir. As a kid,I would quite happily go to Everton, Sunderland, villa park etc and not give two figs about the football but stand in awe at the design of the stadium or stand leitch had built.
  • Shaun Bartlett BBC goal of the season v Leicester was a pointless answer.

Also Steve Gritt was a pointless answer. In the final round was about South Coast football and it was to name anyone has managed Plymouth, Southampton or Brighton. I said Gritt for Brighton. Also who remembers Dave Merrington managing Southampton in the mid 90s? I said Paul Sturrock for Plymouth which the conntestants said and it was pointless along with Merrington and Gritty.
  • Name any member of England's 2002 World Cup squad?

Danny Mills (pointless)
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Name any member of England's 2002 World Cup squad?

Danny Mills (pointless)

Is that Charlton related tho haha, i mean he wasnt even a Charlton player at the time haha :wink:
  • Stig said:

Name any member of England's 2002 World Cup squad?

Danny Mills (pointless)

Is that Charlton related tho haha, i mean he wasnt even a Charlton player at the time haha :wink:
    It's as close as we're ever gonna get.
  • Name any team that has played in the Premier League in the last 25 years.

Charlton (not chosen) would have scored 2.  Incredibly Norwich scored higher than one-time winners Leicester. The only pointless answer was Oldham.
  • Shaun Bartlett BBC goal of the season v Leicester was a pointless answer. Also Steve Gritt was a pointless answer. In the final round was about South Coast football and it was to name anyone has managed Plymouth, Southampton or Brighton. I said Gritt for Brighton. Also who remembers Dave Merrington managing Southampton in the mid 90s? I said Paul Sturrock for Plymouth which the conntestants said and it was pointless along with Merrington and Gritty.
    On that note, I've always struggled to find a video of that goal
  • Stig said:
    Name any team that has played in the Premier League in the last 25 years.

Charlton (not chosen) would have scored 2.  Incredibly Norwich scored higher than one-time winners Leicester. The only pointless answer was Oldham.
    Even swindon?!!!
  • olster said:
    Stig said:

Even swindon?!!!
    Agreed... What surprised me even more is that Oldham unlike Swindon have played more than one season in the Premier League
  • Not a quiz show, but a BBC quiz. They miss one player out that's obvious to us Charlton fans here, in a quiz on former Prem players playing in China:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47393401 
  • Stig said:
    Name any member of England's 2002 World Cup squad? Danny Mills (pointless)
    It's as close as we're ever gonna get.
    Eleven former, current or to-be Charlton players at the 2002 WC.
  • Stig said:

Charlton Scored 2?  Does roland know this?  He'd be looking to make a tranfer.......

Oh, of course he wouldn't understand the concept of pointless (in this context)
  • edited March 2020
    We got a mention on Only Connect this evening. We lost 6 5 to Queens Park Rangers in the question. 

Anybody hazard a guess as to why ?