Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rate your England Derbies

Top for me are

Sheffield
Villa v Blues 

for intercity  derbies. Liverpool and Manchester for me are relatively friendly, North London a bit contrived.

Newcastle v Sunderland for non same city derbies. Pompey v Saints probably the runner up of those. 

Comments

• Bristol derby can get a bit tasty at times.
  • Charlton v Palace. 

All others are interesting, but unimportant.
  • edited March 2019
    iaitch said:
    Bristol derby can get a bit tasty at times.
    Lots of games can get potentially tasty, but for me Rovers have always been a much smaller club to make it viable. Rejected
  • Surprised you think N London is a bit contrived. I live up here and it feels pretty genuine. 
  • Millwall v West Ham. Think the rest fight for 2nd place. Literally 
  • West Ham v Millwall

Pretty much everyone in London apart form us and Palace against Chelsea
  • HMP Wormwood Scubs screws V HMP Wandsworth inmates.
  • Imo Liverpool v Man United is the biggest, and best club game in world football. The hatred between the 2 cities goes back hundreds of years and has become embodied in the game between English footballs 2 most successful entities (Ryan Giggs is 3rd BTW).

It's unique it that respect.  Most of the other big "derbies" are one city affairs split on race, class or religion.  El classico is more of an "International" fixture. 
  • Derby and forest is also worth a mention.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:

Most of the other big "derbies" are one city affairs split on race, class or religion.  
    Interesting suggestion. What have you got in mind?
  • Millwall v West Ham. Think the rest fight for 2nd place. Literally 
    I think it’s a little bit fake and posturing to be honest. An element of playing up to it. No doubt these were the main London offs in the 70s and 80s, but I’ve never been convinced there’s real hatred there. In fact I think there’s probably a little bit of respect. Fact they don’t play each other regularly probably makes it feel more an event. 

Rejected.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Imo Liverpool v Man United is the biggest, and best club game in world football. The hatred between the 2 cities goes back hundreds of years and has become embodied in the game between English footballs 2 most successful entities (Ryan Giggs is 3rd BTW).

It's unique it that respect.  Most of the other big "derbies" are one city affairs split on race, class or religion.  El classico is more of an "International" fixture. 
    40 years ago maybe, but as a game I think it’s been diluted as a rivalry by the spread of support through the country (and indeed the world) those two attract. Very few at those games actual,y live in Manchester or Liverpool. Rejected.
  • Millwall v West Ham
    Birmingham v Villa
    Pompey v Saints
    Sheffield - although was poor the other night
    Bristol
    Tyne and Wear
    Personally think there is more hatred in Liverpool and Leeds vs Man Utd than there is for Man City v Man U.
    Watford v Luton
    Chester v Wrexham 

I generally think consistent premiership ones have become very watered down.
  • Stoke v port vale
  • Bromley played Ebbsfleet recently as there was bit of a kerfuffle back at Bromley South station. 
  • clb74 said:
    Stoke v port vale
    Only ever play when Stoke are going through a very bad patch, providing a minor distraction to pot making. Rejected
  • Burnley v Blackburn should get a mention.
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:
    Bristol derby can get a bit tasty at times.
    Lots of games can get potentially tasty, but for me Rovers have always been a much smaller club to make it viable. Rejected
    Derby and forest is also worth a mention.
    Even size clubs with solid history, and a step up from the East Anglia nonsense, but one of their badge is a sheep and the other is a tree. More Countryfile with John Craven than football. Rejected. 
    clb74 said:
    Stoke v port vale
    Only ever play when Stoke are going through a very bad patch, providing a minor distraction to pot making. Rejected
    Don't think these Sunday morning runs are doing you any good, mood wise.
  • Chesterfield v Mansfield. The miners' strike derby.
  • The best derbies are when clubs don’t meet each other regularly and aren’t guaranteed to be in the same division as each other. 

Newcastle v Sunderland is my favourite though.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Imo Liverpool v Man United is the biggest, and best club game in world football. The hatred between the 2 cities goes back hundreds of years and has become embodied in the game between English footballs 2 most successful entities (Ryan Giggs is 3rd BTW).

40 years ago maybe, but as a game I think it’s been diluted as a rivalry by the spread of support through the country (and indeed the world) those two attract. Very few at those games actual,y live in Manchester or Liverpool. Rejected.
    When we lived in Singapore this was the biggest game out there bar none.
  • Been to a few -

Palace v Charlton
    Arsenal v Spurs
    Millwall v West Ham

Worst in my experience, and not often thought about, has to be Chelsea v Spurs

• How come, no one has mentioned the M23 derby?
    A23.

• Derby and forest is also worth a mention.
    Even size clubs with solid history, and a step up from the East Anglia nonsense, but one of their badge is a sheep and the other is a tree. More Countryfile with John Craven than football. Rejected. 
    Nonsense?! Wash your mouth out.

It may not garner the same level of interest around the country as the Lancashire/Yorkshire rivalry but there's plenty of competition between the North Folk and South Folk of the Kingdom of East Anglia.
  • Lincoln grimsby