Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

When will UEFA take racism seriously?

England players subjected to racist chanting again apparently against Montenegro yet presumably UEFA will do nothing. Why should players have to put up with this and have a governing body that effectively ignores it.

Comments

• Southgate said they will report it. UEFA will fine them. These countries are still way behind as riviera said. Good on Sterling for giving it back tho
  • UEFA won't listen.
  • edited March 2019
    UEFA fines for racism are disproportionally inadequate compared to other supposed mis-demeanours. Need black reps to cause action. UEFA exec committee is almost entirely WASP old men.
  • It wont stop until countries like England,France, Germany say we are not going to play in these countries anymore. But as we carry on playing there then expect the racist crap. 
  • You watch UEFA make an example out of Sterling now.

I hate it when we have to play those Eastern European sides it's embarrassing it continues to happen over and over again. A poxy fine solves nothing.
  • Why didn't England walk off the pitch? That's the only way to make a point that we won't stand for it.

England would probably get a massive fine if they did this meanwhile Montenegro get a small fine for the chanting.
  • iaitch said:
    Why didn't England walk off the pitch? That's the only way to make a point that we won't stand for it.

England would probably get a massive fine if they did this meanwhile Montenegro get a small fine for the chanting.
    They were discussing this on the radio last night. If England walked off it would bring the issue to a head with the worldwide publicity and force UEFA to do something.

It seems at present UEFA don't give a toss about racism and are more likely to be concerned about a country wearing a poppy on their shirt.

Stupid weak fines have done nothing up to now.
  • What did sterling do ? 
  • What did sterling do ? 
    He celebrated in front of the home fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• What did sterling do ? 
    He put his hands to his ears and held them out.
  • RedChaser said:
    What did sterling do ? 
    He put his hands to his ears and held them out.
    And he was black at the same time.... I'm assuming UEFA will say he provoked the peace loving fans.
  • UEFA fines for racism are disproportionally inadequate compared to other supposed mis-demeanours. Need black reps to cause action. UEFA exec committee is almost entirely WASP old men.
    I highly doubt this part! 
  • edited March 2019
    whilst i think it is disgusting what was said, my only niggle is in a country like that sterlings celebration could of caused serious harm to the england fans that were there, who were far outnumbered ( not that it should be tolerated but in these countries it is expected due to the ignorance of the home fans )

with the expansion of the comp and more teams playing in it who's home fans have a history of the racist crap it will only get worse. 

uefa need to come in with stadium bans for HOME supporters and points deductions, otherwise it will continue.
  • I think UEFA hope that it will go away if they don't focus on it. It is time they started giving teams/nations real sanctions. FIFA hardly sets a great example giving World Cups to countries with known issues around human rights and prejudice.
  • edited March 2019
    UEFA fines for racism are disproportionally inadequate compared to other supposed mis-demeanours. Need black reps to cause action. UEFA exec committee is almost entirely WASP old men.
    Silly thing to say. How do you know they are almost entirely protestants? And anglo-saxon? I doubt it.

The racism is wrong and entirely unacceptable but not helped by labelling others incorrectly.
  • whilst i think it is disgusting what was said, my only niggle is in a country like that sterlings celebration could of caused serious harm to the england fans that were there, who were far outnumbered ( not that it should be tolerated but in these countries it is expected due to the ignorance of the home fans )

with the expansion of the comp and more teams playing in it who's home fans have a history of the racist crap it will only get worse. 

uefa need to come in with stadium bans for HOME supporters and points deductions, otherwise it will continue.
    Your only niggle is Sterling's celebration?  You must read The Mail.
  • And while I fully agree that we've moved on a lot since the 70s and 80s Stirling was racially abused at Chelsea and they have been other racist and anti-Semitic incidents involving English fans recently.

UEFA do need to act but more importantly so do the Montenegrin FA and staff.  They manager "heard nothing" and questioned why he was being asked about the racism. That head in the sand attitude needs to change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Clive Tyldesley certainly made himself look a right prat when he commented shortly after the Sterling goal saying that there hadnt been any racism heard and that Montenegro werent a region known for having that sort of trouble
  • whilst i think it is disgusting what was said, my only niggle is in a country like that sterlings celebration could of caused serious harm to the england fans that were there, who were far outnumbered ( not that it should be tolerated but in these countries it is expected due to the ignorance of the home fans )

no not at all but have you ever attended an England away game in a eastern European country? the locals need no encouragement to kick off and cause harm to England fans it was bad enough last night that they made all England fans wear illuminous wrist bands. as i said in the rest of my post its disgusting and they should be banned but sometimes actions have consequences and was merely pointing that out. 

this is the sort of shit i'm on about on this forum people ignore most of a post and pick a little bit of a post and make a wise dig. 

• In terms of UEFA combating racism I think they need to dish out the harshest possible penalties possible

First Offence: Fine AND Points Deduction (Not some small amount either)
    Second Offence: Games Get behind closed doors
    Third Offence: Your thrown out of Qualification for the next Euros AND World Cup

At the moment its something that fans and footballing associations can get away with because they know they're going to get nothing more than a slap on the wrist without any serious form of retribution to try and educate or reform

Take English Football and hooligism for example; unfortunately it took the deaths of fans for UEFA to act yet as a result of the Heysel disaster our clubs got banned from Europe for five years - Yes since then there have been cases of trouble with English fans when going abroad but in a wider context you've got to argue that the ban worked

no not at all but have you ever attended an England away game in a eastern European country? the locals need no encouragement to kick off and cause harm to England fans it was bad enough last night that they made all England fans wear illuminous wrist bands. as i said in the rest of my post its disgusting and they should be banned but sometimes actions have consequences and was merely pointing that out. 

this is the sort of shit i'm on about on this forum people ignore most of a post and pick a little bit of a post and make a wise dig. 

But as you say yourself

"They need no encouragement"

So Stirling giving it back to racists would make no difference.
  • edited March 2019
    whilst i think it is disgusting what was said, my only niggle is in a country like that sterlings celebration could of caused serious harm to the england fans that were there, who were far outnumbered ( not that it should be tolerated but in these countries it is expected due to the ignorance of the home fans )

But as you say yourself

"They need no encouragement"

So Stirling giving it back to racists would make no difference.
    whatabouttery incoming - but could of made things worse, fortunately was no trouble last night as far as i am aware, but the point i made was i thought valid, we all know eastern european countries have a huge problem with racism, even italy and spain as already mentioned, and whilst it should not be ignored celebrating to a crowd that are being battered is maybe not the wisest - i do not see an issue with what raheem done but it could of caused issues for the 600 odd england fans there.  

but as per usual " you must read the mail" comes out. 

anyway not the place for arguing and i cba - there is no point. 
  • edited March 2019

Yes, I have, several in fact.

I just don't agree you can blame Sterling for a group of supporters being total morons.

Perhaps you shouldn't have said it was your only niggle, as I wasn't ignoring anything, I was replying to your post.
  • Whilst obviously not WASP, here is the UEFA executive committee - they look pretty much white, male and Christian to me, with the addition of a solitary Arab millionaire, and a couple of women. 

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/executive-committee/  
  • edited March 2019
    I'm not sure there's much UEFA can do. i mean even the countries name is racist.
  • Whilst obviously not WASP, here is the UEFA executive committee - they look pretty much white, male and Christian to me, with the addition of a solitary Arab millionaire, and a couple of women. 

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/executive-committee/  
    Not to mention the fact none of them seem very young so will be stuck in the traditions etc. they grew up with