Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    So, Joffra Archer

yes or no ?
    Woakes says No - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/47946381

But, then again he would wouldn't he.
    To me it's questionable whether he ought to play for England at all, as I don't like people swapping countries in this way

However, if he is eligible to play for England it's silly to say that he should wait until after the WC as it would be unfair on the player left out.  
    Agreed, but at least he hasn't played for the Windies. It's not like Dirk Nannes who changes nationality every time he changes his socks 
  • Yeah but it's a World Cup. The bookies may have it one way but if I were a betting man I'd stick the lot on those bastards 
  • Australia will win the World Cup.
  • Australia won’t win the World Cup 
  • Although they can have the World Cup if we win The Ashes !
  • Archer in, I think you pick your best players available to you
  • Although they can have the World Cup if we win The Ashes !
    I'd prefer the World Cup

Much less bothered about white ball cricket but the lack of a 50 over World Cup is a major blot on out cricket history, whereas in recent years we've won the Ashes several times, especially at home (2005, 2009, 2013, 2015)
  • Just took 3-15 and 2 catches in the IPL
  • Riviera said:
    Australia will win the World Cup.
    Anyone but them  please 
  • Oz have got my shillings on them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Ashes over the World Cup all day everyday. 

Each to their own but that seems ludicrous to me - nothing better than sticking it to Aus in the format that is the pinnacle of the game.
  • Why not both? :-)
  • Why not both? :-)
    Well yes, that! 
  • Riviera said:
    There are still tickets available for the last day at Lords. They are non-refundable but at just £20 well worth a gamble. 
    Bit cheeky making them non refundable, with so few games reaching the 5th day now.  
  • I got 2 for day 3.
    Just arrived by post.
  • Riviera said:
    There are still tickets available for the last day at Lords. They are non-refundable but at just £20 well worth a gamble. 
    Bit cheeky making them non refundable, with so few games reaching the 5th day now.  
    I can't remember where, but the money goes to charidee or the like.
  • Riviera said:
    Not at £20, as @Covered End said if there is no play due to weather or result the monies go to charity. Refunding money costs money. It's a gamble that you do not have to take and I applaud the MCC for this and making it clear. Other days cost £150! I bought 6 tickets on spec for the last day of the 2009 Ashes Lords Test and what a couple of hours that turned out to be and our first win at Lords v Aussie for 75 years. 
  • Riviera said:
    I can't remember where, but the money goes to charidee or the like.
    Hadn't seen that, makes it better to be fair.  I thought it was a case of "there's no play, we keep your money as it's too much hassle to refund", which seeing as they'll make a mint the first few days, felt.a bit off.
  • We've got tickets for day 3 and day 5, so I'm hoping for rain on day 4 :smile:
  • Provisional squad announced, no Archer

Morgan
    Ali
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    T Curran
    Denly
    Hales
    Plunkett
    Rashid
    Root
    Roy
    Stokes
    Willey
    Woakes
    Wood

• Sponsored links:

• Commenting on the selection of the squads, National Selector Ed Smith, said: 

“In line with ICC regulations, we have to name a preliminary squad of 15 for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup before April 23. However, all 17 players named in the Royal London ODIs against Pakistan can stake a claim to be in the final 15-man squad, finalised at the end of that series. 

“The selection panel has been impressed with Jofra Archer’s performances in domestic and franchise cricket. He is a very talented and exciting cricketer.

The clues are there, clearer than Line of Duty! 

• Provisional squad announced, no Archer

Morgan
    Ali
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    T Curran
    Denly
    Hales
    Plunkett
    Rashid
    Root
    Roy
    Stokes
    Willey
    Woakes
    Wood

Not surprised, thought that would be the case. Personally think Archer could end up replacing Curran. Not sure we need Denly in the squad, but guess he could replace Ali if he were injured and share some bowling with Root. 
  • edited April 2019
    Pretty much the squad we all expected. Suspect it was between Dawson and Denly for the back up spinner role. The beauty of this squad is we actually have options in ever role and some bloody good players are gonna miss out. 

I posted the below on the Surrey thread.

"well the rumours from the last England white ball tour that Plunkett had suddenly 'Lost it' seem correct. I would prefer Dernbach in the side right now.

Unless something changes he should not be in the final world cup squad. And this is coming from soemoene who is a big fan of Liam and was delighted when we signed him. I also felt he should have gone on the last ashes tour.

But at 34 now and reportedly having lost a yard and a half of pace it may be that he simply isn't the bowler he was a year ago."

Plunkett has been huge in turning around England's white ball bowling unit and that 6 he hit off the last ball to tie the match was a great moment. But their is no room for sentiment when it comes to the world cup. He just cannot be in the squad. Archer in for him and then the question is Jordan or Tom Curran depending on who performs in the ODI's. 

Willey is least likely to play but most likely to make the squad as they will want a left arm option.

• Let's compare it to the last England world cup squad.

Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler (wk), Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Eoin Morgan (capt), Joe Root, James Taylor, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes.
  • Bairstow.     Hales
    Roy               Billings
    Root.            Denly
    Morgan.       Malan
    Buttler.         Vince
    Stokes.        Dawson
    Moeen.        Sam Curran
    Woakes.      Willey
    Archer          Tom Curran 
    Rashid.        Jordan
    Wood           Plunkett

2 good sides there.
  • Bairstow.     Hales
    Roy               Billings
    Root.            Denly
    Morgan.       Malan
    Buttler.         Vince
    Stokes.        Dawson
    Moeen.        Sam Curran
    Woakes.      Willey
    Archer          Tom Curran 
    Rashid.        Jordan
    Wood           Plunkett

2 good sides there.
    I'd pay to watch that match!

Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler (wk), Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Eoin Morgan (capt), Joe Root, James Taylor, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes.
    The team isn't that different, but it's the mindset which has massively changed

9 out of 15 not included, that’s quite different

Mindset has changed but that’s also in part because of the personnel. Likes of Roy and Bairstow in for Ballance and Bell. Lack of all rounders in that squad too, we are blessed with them this time around.