Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• shine166 said:
    TV licence is a just a scam in general 
    Brilliant.
  • shine166 said:
    TV licence is a just a scam in general 
    Why do you think that?
  • The cavalry have turned up!

• It's a tax.

In January 2006, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) changed the classification of the licence fee from a service charge to a tax. Explaining the change the ONS said: "in line with the definition of a tax, the licence fee is a compulsory payment which is not paid solely for access to BBC services ....."

Although the money is raised for its own use, the BBC does not directly use the collected fees. The money received is first paid into the government's Consolidated Fund

A major contractor is Capita, responsible for the administration and enforcement of the TV licence fee.

It is expected that Capita will earn £1.10bn – £1.55bn from its contract with the BBC if it runs its maximum 15 years from July 2012.

• Sponsored links:

• Just don’t pay the license it’s simple and you don’t have to pay it as it’s not enforceable 
  • seth plum said:
    Netflix is a way bigger scam than the TV licence, which is a bargain.
    The difference is you don’t have to subscribe to Netflix. 
    You don't have to pay the license fee, live TV is not mandatory.
  • I personally think a TV licence is great value for money. I ditched Netflix as I found 90% of the content shite.
  • PopIcon said:
    I personally think a TV licence is great value for money. I ditched Netflix as I found 90% of the content shite.
    But you had the option to ditch Netflix, what if I don't want to watch the BBC?
  • My only bug bear is that I am on a TV Licence payment card and when I periodically get text messages along the lines of "You have not paid £3 towards your TV Licence, please do so immediately or 4,000 left wing arse holes will cry..." you cannot reply "fuck off". The bastards have even taken that small comfort away from you!
  • PopIcon said:
    I personally think a TV licence is great value for money. I ditched Netflix as I found 90% of the content shite.
    Are you saying you dont watch anything on the BBC?
  • edited August 2019
    PopIcon said:
    You never listen to Radio 1,2,3 or 4. World Service. Or any of the BBC tv channels ever ? Local radio on BBC ? BBC iPlayer ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Make it a subscription service. That way the BBSheeple can pay for it and the rest of the people can opt out. Okay, so it may mean that those that like the BBC will have to pay more for their unbelievably amazing programmes and radio services. It'll be worth it, though, right?
  • edited August 2019
    Make it a subscription service. That way the BBSheeple can pay for it and the rest of the people can opt out. Okay, so it may mean that those that like the BBC will have to pay more for their unbelievably amazing programmes and radio services. It'll be worth it, though, right?
    Or we could sell if off to a foreign company, like we have with other state run businesses. We all have benefitted from those initiatives. Or just do as you have suggested and get our unbiased news from Fox, Russia today or some other foreign state, what could go wrong?
    Somethings are worth everyone chipping in for but if people really don’t want to pay for it don’t, enjoy wall to wall reality, talent and dumb down quizzes.
    Why would you do that when my suggestion is far more plausible, sensible and doesn't contain an extreme knee-jerk reaction to an idea that means those that want it would pay for it? You'd then ensure that all those horrible foreigners wouldn't get their foreign mitts on the infallible BBC and it's wholly unbiased ( :D ) reporting.

Everyone's a winner. No need for extremities.

By the way, I didn't suggest getting anything from anywhere. You claimed I suggested it. I didn't. That was wrapped up in your extreme reaction to my sensible suggestion.
  • Make it a subscription service. That way the BBSheeple can pay for it and the rest of the people can opt out. Okay, so it may mean that those that like the BBC will have to pay more for their unbelievably amazing programmes and radio services. It'll be worth it, though, right?
    Or we could sell if off to a foreign company, like we have with other state run businesses. We all have benefitted from those initiatives. Or just do as you have suggested and get our unbiased news from Fox, Russia today or some other foreign state, what could go wrong?
    Somethings are worth everyone chipping in for but if people really don’t want to pay for it don’t, enjoy wall to wall reality, talent and dumb down quizzes.
    Why would you do that when my suggestion is far more plausible, sensible and doesn't contain an extreme knee-jerk reaction to an idea that means those that want it would pay for it? You'd then ensure that all those horrible foreigners wouldn't get their foreign mitts on the infallible BBC and it's wholly unbiased ( :D ) reporting.

By the way, I didn't suggest getting anything from anywhere. You claimed I suggested it. I didn't. That was wrapped up in your extreme reaction to my sensible suggestion.
    Plausible, sensible suggestion? 🤪
    Sorry for the presumption I wrongly thought you wanted some sort of TV broadcasts.
    Like all anti BBC you laugh when anyone suggests it’s unbiased. It’s as good as any in the world and probably better than most. Please tell me of better broadcaster anywhere on this planet.

Sorry for the presumption I wrongly thought you wanted some sort of TV broadcasts.
    Like all anti BBC you laugh when anyone suggests it’s unbiased. It’s as good as any in the world and probably better than most. Please tell me of better broadcaster anywhere on this planet.

Being anti BBC and against believing that the entire populace should foot the bill for it are two different things that you are massively conflating.

Are the BBC the only company able to broadcast on TV?

I laugh when people say its unbiased as there's no such thing as an unbiased media outlet. That's not even debatable.

I don't understand why you're against paying for what you want and to not have a stealth tax foisted on those that don't want the BBC.
  • Ditch the licence fee and let’s have more ITV C5 Dave, W,  Quest or Really, real quality programming with a two minute break every 15 minutes.
     The BBC is cheap in comparison to the brain mushing driveling crap other channels pump out and that includes the so called Sky  premium channels.
    Well said.

Being anti BBC and against believing that the entire populace should foot the bill for it are two different things that you are massively conflating.

Are the BBC the only company able to broadcast on TV?

I laugh when people say its unbiased as there's no such thing as an unbiased media outlet. That's not even debatable.

I don't understand why you're against paying for what you want and to not have a stealth tax foisted on those that don't want the BBC.
    I take your point to some degree. Try accusing a journalist of being biased and getting them to agree with you, there’s more chance of finding a Millwall supporter  who’s a normal member of the human race. 

Paying for things you might not want or use is all part of living in our society and the tv license is one of them. It’s not a stealth tax, no one is forced to watch tv but if you do there is a price you must pay.
  • If you get left one of these, they are part of the scam too. Designed to get your phone number if you call the number they give you. Look carefully it's not a Royal Mail card.

• Only need three more for a full house this time. Got let down last time, c'mon lads, you know you want to...