Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Barnsley v Charlton | Sat 17 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Barnsley v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 17th August 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Matthew Donohue (Manchester)

Introduction
Life in the Championship seems rather easy doesn’t it? – With two wins from two; Charlton under Lee Bowyer have made the perfect start to life back in the second tier, but there will be harder games to come… This Saturday will see the Addicks travelling up to Yorkshire for the first time this season; Barnsley the hosts who themselves have made an impressive start after promotion. Escaping Fortress Oakwell with a win will be as difficult for us as it is for others visiting our own corner of London this season!!

The Opposition
Name: Barnsley | Manager: Daniel Stendal
Ground: Oakwell

Of course our opponents need very little introduction

Finishing in second place last season, Barnsley would achieve automatic promotion from League One ahead of a Charlton side who would start their sprint for the finish line just a little too late – Hiring Daniel Stendal certainly left many fans wondering not just who he was but what last season may bring… Yet despite not finishing top, the Tykes were one of the standout teams in the Division and fully deserved to return to the Championship!!

Its been a busy summer around Oakwell though; with five players in the Team of the Year it was clear that their squad would attract interest yet from that group only Alex Mowatt and Dimitri Cavare remain – Barnsley have rebuilt though, a selection of players from League One and abroad means this will either be a difficult season in Yorkshire, or yet another season of surprise from Stendel and his band!!

Quite obviously though; Mallik Wilks is my focus this week, a player extremely well known to Addicks fans and players alike – On loan at Doncaster (from Leeds) last season, he would trouble our defences in both League and Play-Offs alike – After a successful campaign it was surprising when Leeds decided to cash in but it will be to Barnsley’s gain if the tricky winger can step up, lets hope its not against us for once!!

Charlton Team News
Tuesday night saw Charlton entering the first round of the League Cup and as tradition dictates, exited the League Cup – Lee Bowyer would admit post-match that he was disappointed with the exit and saw the competition as a missed opportunity for many of his fringe players.

As a result of those comments its highly likely that we’ll see an unchanged team from the one that despatched Stoke with ease – Chuks Aneke and Sam Field received valuable minutes in midweek that’ll aid their fitness, but you’d expect them to make do with a place on the bench – Beram Kayal is now outside running following his transfer from Brighton, whilst Tamar Hemed should be announced in time for the clash with Swansea City on New Years Day.

Phillips
Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
Leko | Cullen | Pratley | Williams
Gallagher
Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Oshilaja | Field | Aneke | Bonne | Forster-Caskey

Prediction
Barnsley may have had a slightly slower start than ourselves yet taking a win from Oakwell is something that no team have done since Millwall in March 2018 – Neither team will be expected to compete at the heights they are now so Saturday is an early opportunity for a six pointer that could easily become oh so very valuable come next May!!

Comments

• I'll be happy with a point on Saturday, ecstatic with three!

I think Lord Bowyer will roll with the same team as last Saturday with Pratley at half-back, anchoring the midfield, and Cullen, Williams, Gallagher, and Leko rotating around midfield/half-forward to confuse the crap out of Barnsley's match-ups.

Score prediction: 2-2 ... Taylor (again), Leko.
  • Great preview as usual FA. 
    5 of us travelling up for this one and I fully expect to see us win.
    Same team as last Saturday. 
    3.1 the mighty Addicks. 
  • edited August 2019
    Comfortable away win 6-0.
    Where is the 4-0, that post blew my mind!!

• Barnsley 6-0 Charlton

Outdone by tactics
  • Terrific preview as ever .. as said, Barnsley have lost few players close season, especially defenders ..
     they beat Fulham in game one   .. was chatting to a Fulham fan who was there, he said that complacent Fulham were outfought by a decent side
    Was there last year ..  game dominated by the wind .. we deserved better than a 2-1 loss .. revenge this season .. unchanged team despite Aneke's promising cameo .. watch out for Wilks, Solly might need some help along his wing

Barnsley 0 v CAFC 1
  • 1-2 to the mighty addicks, Wilks will course us problems but we should have enough.

Taylor double, COYR

• edited August 2019
    Can't see past a 3-0 loss.
  • 1-1, Pearce from a corner for us.

I like that Bowyer’s flexible with the formation and how many we play up front, it’ll be interesting to see if he sticks with the same 11 and which formation he goes with.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-3 to LB/JJ's Red & White Army
  • 2-1 defeat
  • Agree with you FA for the team and being normally optimistic will go for 1-2 win
  • Personally would set up exactly as we did vs Stoke. 

Think we could win over these with that same side.
  • The beauty of heading into this fixture is their is no pressure, but bowyer teams don’t tend to take their foot of the gas.  You would of penned this in as one we need to try and win but after maximum points you’d take a point, not an easy ground by any means, 1-1 Gallagher to put us 1 up.
  • 1-1 but I'm usually wrong.
  • edited August 2019
    Is that supposed to be funny? Disappointed in you.
  • Won’t be a 0 - 0
    1 nil either way.
  • Comfortable away win 6-0.
    Well, a few seasons ago, it was a comfortable away win 6-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Well, a few seasons ago, it was a comfortable away win 6-0.
    I believe this was the joke (and I presume it'll be the fact on page 2013 of the takeover thread).
    Obviously so, Paddy ....... but we're all so disappointed that Happy Valley has proved themselves a deviant.

You should have kept to 'Comfortable 4-0 away win', Happy Valley ..... no one's going to believe you ever again! :smile:
  • Great preview as usual FA. 
    3.1 the mighty Addicks. 
    See you up there mate.
    Will have a pint waiting for you
    Im on the 8.33
  • clb74 said:
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    3.1 the mighty Addicks. 
    See you up there mate.
    Will have a pint waiting for you
    Im on the 8.33
    See you there mate.
  • Too early to be sure but Barnsley look like they may be a fair bit stronger at home than away, having beaten a strong Fulham side. I think this may come down to who scores first - if any team does. Hopefully it will be us. 
  • edited August 2019
    They scored two worldies against us up there last season early doors apart from that we did ok and managed to pull one back second half.
  • 1-1

Two teams who see this type of game as can't lose, as both expected to struggle at the bottom.

We will go 1-0 down, then Pearce heads in from corner late on.
  • 3-1 win. Charlton score 3 goals from flowing passing moves and then Captain Hero Warrior Pearce gets sent off conceding a penalty ;)
  • Fancy we will get something from the game.....a draw or win, I can’t choose.