Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leeds United | Sat 28 Sep | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Leeds United
Saturday 28th September 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: John Brooks (Leicestershire)

Introduction
Do you ever get the feeling your being watched?

Not that it matters of course, what does matter is the fact that this Saturday we play host to “so called Champions” Leeds United, we go into this game looking for our first points of the month and what will be our last chance of the month to obtain any – In addition life in the Championship is just about to begin, the honeymoon period will most surely be over come this time next month!!

The Opposition
Name: Leeds United | Manager: Marcelo Bielsa
Ground: Elland Road

Despite all the governing issues its cases like Leeds that make you feel proud of the English Football League – Billed as one of the hardest Leagues in the world I imagine some must scoff at the claim but last year the Championship proved what a bitch it can be… You can have one of the best Managers in the world; you can sign Goalkeepers from Real Madrid, but down here in the second tier, the word: respect just doesn’t exist!!

With the disappointment in the Play-Offs you’d have thought that would have been it for Bielsa... The man might be a genius in the game but he doesn’t last long in roles, you have to go back to 2011-13 to when he lasted longer than a year at a club (Atletico Bilbao) – Failure to win promotion though hurt the Argentinian and so along with his bucket, he’s back for part two!!

For this will be our hardest league game at the Valley this season… It doesn’t matter who else comes to SE7; Leeds will out run you, they’ll keep possession and bide their time – With the likes of Pablo Hernandez they’ve players who could easily transition into the Premier League, the fact that Eddie Nketiah (on loan from Arsenal) cant get into the line up says it all

Charlton Team News
Not going to lie I’ve been blessed with a source this week… Met this charming bloke wearing a flat cap with a little dog (think it was a Terrier) who wouldn’t stop talking about t’North and how much he loves PlusNet customer service!!... Anyway he’d been walking near Sparrows Lane all this week so my information is pretty sound!!

With two loses on the trot though it’s a question of whether Bowyer changes the squad – As mentioned; Leeds will keep the ball so its important we don’t give it back to them, we’ll need our fittest players out on that pitch and most importantly we’ll need leaders… Both Jason Pearce and Beram Kayal missed the game against Wigan with the former only making the bench; Pearce will surely be back in contention to face another of his old clubs whilst it’s questionable if we’ll see Kayal after suffering with a groin strain last Friday!!

Phillips
Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
Cullen | Field | Williams
Gallagher
Leko | Hemed

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Oshilaja | Pratley | Oztumer | Bonne | Aneke

Prediction
I know what your all going to say… We’re doomed, we don’t stand a chance, Leeds will roll over us – Its quite possible that all of those things will happen but time and again we’ve seen this Charlton team putting in a display under Bowyer; he’ll surely want to get one over his old club (I imagine he’d love a draw to be honest), but we should learn its never wise to write off these Addicks until its over!!

Comments

• Really tough task on the back of  2 defeats , can see us playing a lot better than previous 2 games but that might still not be enough - 1 - 3. 
  • think I'd start Pratley over Field, other than that a 2-0 win to us

• I know what your all going to say… We’re doomed, we don’t stand a chance, Leeds will roll over us – 

You got it. 

And please not Field or Hemed. They may well prove to be good assets given time but no evidence of it yet and can't afford any passengers in this one.

We are creating very little so why not give Aneke a run out. He has actually scored after all.

I know what your'e all going to say..I'm a pessimistic, bed-wetting old git with an inappropriate crush on Lyle Taylor .  

• I know what your all going to say… We’re doomed, we don’t stand a chance, Leeds will roll over us – 

You got it. 

And please not Field or Hemed. They may well prove to be good assets given time but no evidence of it yet and can't afford any passengers in this one.

We are creating very little so why not give Aneke a run out. He has actually scored after all.

I know what your'e all going to say..I'm a pessimistic, bed-wetting old git with an inappropriate crush on Lyle Taylor .  
    it's a very appropriate crush!
  • Great preview as usual FA. 
    If Field does start then I hope he can show us why we signed him.
    Pearce has to start in a game where we are going to be put under pressure his experience will be vital. 
    Cullen and Williams must keep the ball better that of late and Hemed needs to come to the party.
    A very hard fought 1.1 Draw. 
  • Sadly I can't see us getting anything from this game either. It's all very well asking not to play Field. Leko or Hemed but we have very little option otherwise; Bonne and Aneke are not centre forwards, and Pratley has little class.

A fraught game off the pitch and on the pitch too - 0-3.
  • I'd give Aneke a chance as Hemed looks overweight, sluggish and unfit.  Not sure Solly has the pace - would stick with Oshilaja and definitely Pratley over Field.  A surprising 2-1 win.
  • I would be pleased if we just score a goal, overwhelmed with a point. Cullen has to play at the base of the diamond or we will never get the ball out of our penalty area. Pratley has to play instead of Field to break up their midfield play. I see no point in playing Hemed, as he offers no threat up front with his back to the goal, better to have Leko and Aneke running at them , backed up by Gallagher and Williams.

The first of many days to come like the old premiership days, backs to the wall against teams with more class than us.
  • This is an away banker in my mind sadly . We don’t stand a chance unless we start Chucks and Williams . Hamed is clearly not fit . 

2-0 Leeds 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd start Aneke.

Given that Leeds will likely have a lot of the ball and we'll be playing on the counter i think we need an outlet up front. That isn't Hemed as he's looked off the pace so far.
  • I can’t see us scoring. 
  • Hemed has done nothing over these last couple games to give me any confidence in him as a long striker.

I know LB said he doesn't see him in that position but I think Chuks deserves a shot at it. Looked lively last week from what I hear and in my opinion he hasn't been bad in any games he's featured in, plus like above has mentioned... he's already scored.

Anyhow I like the lineup, but I'd prefer Chuks in for Hemed and Pratley in for field.

• Good preview as always FA. I can see Bowyer trying to mix things up a bit this week , in an effort to throw Bielsa off the scent. Maybe he'll go for 3 at the back and pack 5 in the midfield , just got a feeling he'll be looking to mix things up after 2 defeats. Anyway I think we'll nick a scrappy goal through Pearce and hang - on for a surprise 1 - 0 win.
  • Have a feeling that Pratley and Aneke will start. Chuks has looked sharp, and Pratley has been defensively outstanding this season.
    Love Pearce as a defender, but hope his distribution under pressure holds out, because we don't want to be giving the ball away against this mob.
    (PS There's a 'your' 'you're' situation, but wasn't sure if it was ok to mention that?)
  • A narrow home defeat i think. We'll battle hard but Leed's extra quality will tell in the end. They have a 100% away record for a reason.

Also predicting a lot of people on here after the game moaning about Leeds fans celebrating in the home areas.
  • 1-1 hard earned draw, maybe a tad fortunate. Think we need Taylor back to get back into 1st gear again
  • I have a feeling we'll get something.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-1 Charlton. Gallagher & Hemed
  • My mate is CEO at Leeds. I emailed him asking if there was a bush he could recommend at their training ground. He hasn’t replied, so I’m going for 3-0.
  • I fancy us for a point in this one 1-1. LB  will have them right up for this one. We have all seen what we can do when fired up
  • In good news we're back to being underdogs/underestimated. 
  • Interesting write up FA, my only change to your team is, like many others, Pratley for Field. I always like to be positive, but I cannot see us getting a clean sheet, so, 2-1 win
  • Not too optimistic about this one 0-3. Please prove me wrong Charlton
  • I have a feeling we'll get something.
    Spanked? :wink: