Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Underrated musical acts

Just for some variation

The Velvet Underground
The Band

Comments

• Bruce Hornsby. (finally get to see him live, in Berlin next month...)

The Blue Nile

Golden Earring

Steve Marriott, throughout his career.
  • Fairport Convention.
  • Carly Rae Jepsen. Yes, that one who had "Call Me Maybe" as an absolutely massive hit in 2011/12, and to an extent "I Really Like You" in about 2015.

She is continuing to make fantastic pop music, and not within the zeitgeist of "pop-with-R&B-type-stuff" that we're hearing from the likes of Ariana Grande; Beyonce; Camila Cabello; Nicki Minaj; Fifth Harmony; and so on.

Run Away With Me is an absolute banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeccAtqd5K8
  • edited October 2019
    Todd Rundgren, although to be fair, throughout his entire career, he always seems to take a perverse delight in alienating fans of his previous album when he releases the next one, which also means it's hard to pigeon-hole him.
  • funnily enough, Todd Rundgren (see above) produced XTC's Skylarking album.
  • Be Bob Delux
  • hawksmoor said:
    funnily enough, Todd Rundgren (see above) produced XTC's Skylarking album.
    A great album but very turbulent recording process!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2019
    Almost every band I see. Here's a few of names 99% of you will have never have heard of to look up and see what you think.

Danny O and the Astrotones
    Bob Wayne
    Barrence Whitfield
    Glen Doran and the Prairie Echoes
    Ray Gelato's Giants

• Almost every band I see. Here's a few of names 99% of you will have never have heard of to look up and see what you think.

Bob Wayne
    Barrence Whitfield
    Ray Gelato's Giants

Ray Gelato is probably rated somewhat fairly given his position in the jazzosphere, so to speak. Much like how I wouldn't argue Snarky Puppy or Jacob Collier to be over- or underrated, as they're hugely popular within their idiom and not really elsewhere, and that's pretty fair.
  • Little Feat.
  • Al Stewart
    Curved Air
    Camel

• hawksmoor said:
    funnily enough, Todd Rundgren (see above) produced XTC's Skylarking album.
    A great album but very turbulent recording process!
    Yeah, Andy Partridge and Rundgren had a mutual hatred towards each other, although they seem to have softened somewhat towards each other over the years.

Another similar story is when he produced Hall & Oates' War Babies and did all the backing vocals himself, then Atlantic hated the album so much they kicked Hall & Oates off the label! Again, they've since made it up.

Basically, don't hire Todd Rundgren to produce your album if you don't want it to sound like a Rundgren solo album with you as a mere guest musician.
  • edited October 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    Almost every band I see. Here's a few of names 99% of you will have never have heard of to look up and see what you think.

Bob Wayne
    Barrence Whitfield
    Ray Gelato's Giants

Ray Gelato is probably rated somewhat fairly given his position in the jazzosphere, so to speak. Much like how I wouldn't argue Snarky Puppy or Jacob Collier to be over- or underrated, as they're hugely popular within their idiom and not really elsewhere, and that's pretty fair.
    Why Paddy? Why do good musicians with talent not deserve mainstream radio play, BRIT awards and appearances on TV shows? Why do they have to be pigeonholed and excluded from the pop star club ( or Celebrity Club, as Ray himself wrote ). They don't get any type of mainstream outing, so people don't even get the get the opportunity to judge them as overrated or underrated or even "meh".  
  • The streets
  • Acab said:
    Little Feat.
    I thought they were crap at the valley. 
    The crowd were bored until Alex Harvey came on.
  • Acab said:
    Little Feat.
    I thought they were crap at the valley. 
    The crowd were bored until Alex Harvey came on.
    always a bit of a disappointment live having heard their superb early studio albums .. and they were never the same after Lowell George's premature death ..
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:

Bob Wayne
    Barrence Whitfield
    Ray Gelato's Giants

Why Paddy? Why do good musicians with talent not deserve mainstream radio play, BRIT awards and appearances on TV shows? Why do they have to be pigeonholed and excluded from the pop star club ( or Celebrity Club, as Ray himself wrote ). They don't get any type of mainstream outing, so people don't even get the get the opportunity to judge them as overrated or underrated or even "meh".  
    TBF I think a lot of good musicians are happier ploughing their own furrow rather than respond to what's expected in the mainstream. I don't know the people @PaddyP17 is talking about, but there's often the sort of element of self-sabotage among artists that @Hawksmoor mentioned with Todd Rundgren.
    Jackie Leven was an under-rated artist IMO, and would put out a couple of albums a year but because he effectively had artistic control there would nearly always be something a bit duff in there to make sure his fans didn't think he was getting above himself. People who'd only heard moving soulful songs would come to his gigs and get long rambling stories about life on the road that were often filthy: to me it didn't matter but to some I can see it put them off. 
    Becoming a "star" and getting recognition has often led to serious issues for artists unable to cope: Julian Cope went from being on Top of the Pops in 1981/2 to wearing a tortoise shell and pushing a dinky toy along the mud for the cover of his "Fried" album in 1984. most musicians just want to play and get recognition from their peers, not all the pressures that come from being in the public eye. 
  • hawksmoor said:
    Todd Rundgren, although to be fair, throughout his entire career, he always seems to take a perverse delight in alienating fans of his previous album when he releases the next one, which also means it's hard to pigeon-hole him.
    my cousin and her hubby are such big Little Feat and Todd Rundgren fans, they named their son Todd Lowell .. he's so far survived the experience ((:>)
  • Mesh , Stadium fillers in Europe but relatively unknown in the Uk .
  • rananegra said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Bob Wayne
    Barrence Whitfield
    Ray Gelato's Giants

TBF I think a lot of good musicians are happier ploughing their own furrow rather than respond to what's expected in the mainstream. I don't know the people @PaddyP17 is talking about, but there's often the sort of element of self-sabotage among artists that @Hawksmoor mentioned with Todd Rundgren.
    Jackie Leven was an under-rated artist IMO, and would put out a couple of albums a year but because he effectively had artistic control there would nearly always be something a bit duff in there to make sure his fans didn't think he was getting above himself. People who'd only heard moving soulful songs would come to his gigs and get long rambling stories about life on the road that were often filthy: to me it didn't matter but to some I can see it put them off. 
    Becoming a "star" and getting recognition has often led to serious issues for artists unable to cope: Julian Cope went from being on Top of the Pops in 1981/2 to wearing a tortoise shell and pushing a dinky toy along the mud for the cover of his "Fried" album in 1984. most musicians just want to play and get recognition from their peers, not all the pressures that come from being in the public eye. 
    I can assure you that at least three of the acts I mention would love to be given the opportunity to bring their music to a nationwide audience. But I do understand that there are some that like being a cult figure. 
  • hawksmoor said:
    my cousin and her hubby are such big Little Feat and Todd Rundgren fans, they named their son Todd Lowell .. he's so far survived the experience ((:>)

Listen to RA by Todd Rundgrens Utopia and particularly the track "Singring and the glass guitar", one of the best tracks ever written in my view.
  • I must admit I prefer the first two Utopia albums, Todd Rundgren's Utopia (the first one was actually called that) and Another Live, tracks such as Freedom Fighters, Seven Rays, The Wheel. I even like The Ikon on the first album because it's kind of got that Mahavisnu fusion thing going on.
  • Wet Willie.
  • Original Mirrors 
  • Ryan Adams
    Go-Betweens
  • Solidgone said:
    Be Bob Delux
    Bill Nelson's Red Noise and Bill Nelson receding as Bill Nelson - admittedly he can be a little avant-garde for mainstream pop tastes.