Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• 8/24 injured.
  • edited October 2019
    That is bad news this early in the season.
    I hope the remaining 18/24 can step up to the plate - and steer clear of injury at least until the 8 are back in action.

Edit:  As pointed out below, my maths appears to be somewhat awry!  Not sure now whether it was a typo or the late hour - take your pick!  Glad I've given everyone a good laugh at my expense  :D
  • When is Purrington due back? Left back is the greatest of our issues in my opinion.
  • Ben Amos wasn’t on the bench yesterday and I think George Lapslie is still injured.
  • We're going to struggle with this many injuries so hopefully our support makes allowances for this. Can't afford any more.
  • I make it currently 10 out of the 24 currently unavailable, with a further Solly, Sarr, Pearce, Aneke, and Kayal all unable to do two 90 minutes in quick succession, one or two of them struggling to do 90 minutes altogether due to match fitness, at this moment in time.

We are desperately unlucky with injuries, but if we manage to get through this period in a decent position in the league, come the new year, we can hope we don't get more injuries and we'd soon have a whole or majority of the squad to choose from. Plus one or two reinforcements in the window as well.

To have over half of the squad not in the best of health, no other squad has that in this division right now. And don't go blaming the medical team or anything because most of these are either impact injuries or freak injury. The Forster-Caskey one was always going to happen last night, I said this the other day. Having only played his second full 90 minutes this season on Saturday, to be expected to play again so soon without a proper recovery, it's too much. But we had to choice but to start him really due to the position we were/are in. 
  • So many knee injuries, is it the 4g training pitches?
  • I think we'll bring Morgan back from loan to help cover the midfield injuries 
  • razil said:
    So many knee injuries, is it the 4g training pitches?
    They're training on grass.
  • Sponsored links:

• It is bad luck and the squad has shown it can cover losing arguably our two best players and both left backs at the same time.
  • Intensity of the way we play. Hence why Hemed, aneke, page etc are always injured. Very much like arsenal of yesteryear.
  • edited October 2019
    With this injury list and the intensity of the fixtures, I think the realistic goal for this season is a mid-table finish (which I'd happily take now). We could aim high but we must bear in mind that we're a newly promoted side. Was thrilled last weekend because of the 3-0 home victory but soon brought down to earth by last night's unlucky defeat and now the list of injured players. 😢
  • I must have missed some of these injuries.

Can someone state how long each player is expected to be out for and what their injury is?
  • Is the intensity of training a factor? The coaching staff often talk about how we train at a much higher intensity than other teams. I lack the knowledge to answer that question.
  • Injuries are unfortunate and we do tend to clump them together, but this is why you have a squad and for the first time in years we're playing first team rotation players instead of dragging unready youth players out of the academy to take on players well beyond their experience level. That's a positive we can take from this. Even when we've got a squad though we've managed to get all three LB options injured at once, so we're still Charltoning it
  • Injuries are unfortunate and we do tend to clump them together, but this is why you have a squad and for the first time in years we're playing first team rotation players instead of dragging unready youth players out of the academy to take on players well beyond their experience level. That's a positive we can take from this. Even when we've got a squad though we've managed to get all three LB options injured at once, so we're still Charltoning it
    Yes really unlucky to have 2 leftbacks, the emergency left back cover and a right back all injured at the same time
    Yes really unlucky to have 2 leftbacks, the emergency left back cover and a right back all injured at the same time
    Don't know whether to laugh or cry at this. So unbelievably unlucky....
    Very much to do with the role they're being asked to fulfil. Okay, Page hasn't played for over a year, but to have these full backs struggling with fitness so often is because they're being demanded to get up and down the pitch in a way they wouldn't at other clubs. Where we don't play with wingers, our width comes from our full backs and our strikers dropping wide at times. They're then expected to also get back into their defensive positions just as quickly. It's a tough job. Add in the intensity of training and it puts a load on their body that they may not be accustomed to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Injuries are unfortunate and we do tend to clump them together, but this is why you have a squad and for the first time in years we're playing first team rotation players instead of dragging unready youth players out of the academy to take on players well beyond their experience level. That's a positive we can take from this. Even when we've got a squad though we've managed to get all three LB options injured at once, so we're still Charltoning it
    Very much to do with the role they're being asked to fulfil. Okay, Page hasn't played for over a year, but to have these full backs struggling with fitness so often is because they're being demanded to get up and down the pitch in a way they wouldn't at other clubs. Where we don't play with wingers, our width comes from our full backs and our strikers dropping wide at times. They're then expected to also get back into their defensive positions just as quickly. It's a tough job. Add in the intensity of training and it puts a load on their body that they may not be accustomed to.
    That’s how most clubs play these days though. Hardly anyone plays 442 with 2 proper wingers now

Robertson and TAA provide the attacking width for Liverpool to devastating effect for example, yet play every game
    Exactly this. 
    Plenty of teams play a similar system to us.
    But their players don't seem to be as badly affected by injuries. 
  • Sage said:
    Injuries are unfortunate and we do tend to clump them together, but this is why you have a squad and for the first time in years we're playing first team rotation players instead of dragging unready youth players out of the academy to take on players well beyond their experience level. That's a positive we can take from this. Even when we've got a squad though we've managed to get all three LB options injured at once, so we're still Charltoning it
    That’s how most clubs play these days though. Hardly anyone plays 442 with 2 proper wingers now

Robertson and TAA provide the attacking width for Liverpool to devastating effect for example, yet play every game
    Exactly this. 
    Plenty of teams play a similar system to us.
    But their players don't seem to be as badly affected by injuries. 
    Not many teams play a diamond or when they have 3 at the back, only have the wing-backs as wide men too.

You can't give Liverpool as an example when they play 4-3-3 so naturally will have Salah and Mane out wide too, albeit they will cut in.

How many teams play a diamond predominantly in the Championship? Us and Luton, sometimes Stoke.

Our training is for more intense then it every used to be too.

Whether the modern day full back is expected to be like that or not doesn't matter because most of the time, other clubs will still have wide players further up the pitch. We don't.
  • Lots of hamstring injuries. Do they not stretch properly?
  • Will be interesting to see who plays where on Saturday, might we see Solly and Oshilaja as full backs like we finished last night, or will Sarr be drafted in to play? 

Will Aneke start up top with Bonne or will we play 1 up top? Will people complaining we had 8 central midfielders in the squad be moaning that we don't have enough of this game?

Personally I'd go

Phillips
    Oshilaja Lockyer Pearce Sarr Solly
    Pratley Cullen
    Gallagher
    Aneke Bonne

Maynard-Brewer, Kayal, Oztumer, Davison, Morgan and hope that at least 2 from Lapslie/Matthews/Purrington/Hemed are able to make the bench
  • Is Amos injured? Wondered why he wasn't there last night.
  • Really hoping lapslie is back for saturday even for 30 mins. His energy may well be exactly what we need in this situation. 

And yeah Amos? What? Why not involved. Not listed as injured on the OS article.
  • I'm sorry but Page is an absolute waste of squad space, literally stealing a living for the last 2 years