Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Sheff Wed | Sat 30 Nov | 12:30 KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Sheffield Wednesday
Saturday 30th November 2019 … 12:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tim Robinson (West Sussex)
Introduction
For the second weekend on the trot football returns to South East London – Results have been far from impressive of late yet performances have not warranted those results… With more players available against Cardiff and Luton we could easily have been looking at more than the solitary point, yet that is the hand that Lee Bowyer has been dealt and is the hand we must deal with for the time being – This Saturday will see Sheffield Wednesday making the trip down from Yorkshire, the SKY cameras seem to enjoy this corner of South East London!!
The Opposition
Name: Sheffield Wednesday (10th) | Manager: Garry Monk
Ground: Hillsborough
Promoted the same year that we won League One it was clear that our opponents this Saturday were the far more deserving side to win the Division back in 2011/12 – Life for the Owls has been slightly better in the second tier than it was for the Addicks, although seeing bitter rivals earning promotion to the Premier League (and prospering) must be a bitter taste, regardless of how beneficial it is to the City of Sheffield!!
Yet for Sheffield Wednesday (who almost returned to the Premier League via. the Play-Offs in 2016) it’s been an indifferent time… Dejphon Chansiri has been another owner with questionable motives and despite the promising start has slowly created divisions within the fanbase, although the strange managerial appointments (Jos Luhukay) can’t have been helped by the Chief Executive at the time!!
This season though has seen a slightly better return for the Owls (despite losing Steve Bruce to Newcastle in what became a controversial transfer) – Garry Monk was finally appointed his replacement after a month of the season had passed, and whilst Wednesday haven’t won themselves since 22nd October are still in an impressive position… This is a fixture that appears to have taken on a rivalry feel of late (Wednesday fans still unhappy no doubt from 2011/12), it’s another "massive" one that could quite easily go either way!!
Charlton Team News
Of course it’s like any football match where predicting the winner will always be difficult yet with so many injuries it surely puts the ball firmly in the favour of the opposition – Bowyer confirmed that the likes of Lyle Taylor | Jonny Williams | Chuks Aneke could return for Middlesbrough next weekend which’ll be much needed!!
With Conor Gallagher earning his fifth booking of the season on Tuesday night it’s obvious that the impressive youngster will miss this Saturday’s fixture - Along with Tom Lockyer, the midfielder only needed to complete this upcoming fixture to avoid a ban after five yellow cards – Who replaces him will remain to be seen with Erhun Oztumer still a 50/50 doubt after receiving a knock against Cardiff City last weekend

Phillips
Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr
Matthews | Pratley | Morgan | Purrington
Leko | Bonne | Doughty
Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Oshilaja | Solly | Vennings | Davison | Oztumer

Prediction
I’m going to repeat what I said prior to the Cardiff City game – Whilst it doesn’t look great with the selection of players available you always feel that Lee Bowyer can pull a result (whether it’s a win or a draw) out of the hat… Garry Monk was supposed to be a decent upcoming Manager who like Gary Rowett has had a few setbacks, he’s someone who organise his teams though with this game surely being another difficult / physical battle!!

Comments

• Another good preview FA , going to this one and so far we've not seen a loss yet , in fact it's been nothing but wins against Brentford , Leeds and Derby this season. So hoping the good luck continues , i'll say 1-0 Charlton , Bonne with the goal.
  • Errrm..."With more players available against Cardiff and Luton we could easily have been looking at more than six points..." - How?  Even with twenty nine fit players it would have been six points only!

Forecast is another miserable 1-0 defeat. Fox with the goal from a corner.
  • Ped45 said:
    Errrm..."With more players available against Cardiff and Luton we could easily have been looking at more than six points..." - How?  Even with twenty nine fit players it would have been six points only!

Forecast is another miserable 1-0 defeat. Fox with the goal from a corner.
    Haha thank you, I've changed that to more than the one point we received
  • Sage said:
    Great preview as usual. Have you set the category as Troubleshooting on purpose with the difficulty it is for us to have a team on the pitch right now? :wink:
    Brilliant, for some reason it didnt ask me to set the Category like it normally does - Happy to leave it as is based on your reasoning :)
  • 5-0 Charlton, Bonne with a brace and a hat-trick for Doughty
  • I shall be watching in the pub. We take the lead and lose two or three one... 
  • kind of apt that you have put this in troubleshooting 
  • I think we'll do well to get thrashed :-(

0-2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Great preview as usual. Have you set the category as Troubleshooting on purpose with the difficulty it is for us to have a team on the pitch right now? :wink:

With Fox at left back for Sheffield Wednesday, I think it’s important to have Leko out wide to cause him problems. I think we could see a 4-2-3-1 formation for this one. Right now I’ll go with...

Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Pearce Purrington
    Pratley Oshilaja
    Leko Morgan Doughty
    Bonne

Although my opinion will likely change between now and match day.

Charlton Athletic 1-0 Sheffield Wednesday
    Bonne
    Like your team though really hoping that Ozzy will be fit to start this one. If he plays like he did against cardiff he will be key.
  • How does Oshilaja fare in midfield? only seen him as a CB but it seems were using him as a defensive midfielder.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Good preview. Agree with the proposed team. We’ll give it a good go but lack of guile and another injury will finally wear us down. Defeat by a couple of goals. 
  • How does Oshilaja fare in midfield? only seen him as a CB but it seems were using him as a defensive midfielder.
    Didnt do too badly against Cardiff in the Darren Pratley role to be honest
  • edited November 2019
    Phillips
    Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
    Morgan | Pratley | Oztumer | Doughty
    Leko | Bonne 

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Oshilaja | Solly | Vennings | Davison | Sarr

Charlton 1-2 Sheffield
    Massive Loss
  • Cheers @Dazzler21... Cant believe I didnt comment on them being a massive club
    Had to amend my preview slightly to add the mockery
  • edited November 2019
    Not a hope until we get key players back from injury.

I expect Operation Pig to make an appearance shortly afterwards.

I will probably get a ban shortly after that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Phillips
    Lockyer, Oshilaja, Pearce
    Matthews, Pratley, Morgan, Purrington 
    Oztumer
    Leko, Bonne

Lockyer goes off first half, ruled out later in the week for 8 weeks.
    We go one up, again, Nuhiu comes on scores header late on to seal win.
    1-2
  • edited November 2019
    Jimmy Seed was instrumental in Sheffield Wednesday winning the League title two years running (1928–29 and 1929–30) under his captaincy, so have always had a soft spot for them. I won’t on Saturday though. 
    Extraordinary bad luck on the injury front has led to us being 13/5 outsiders on Paddy Power. Wednesday are at Evens. 
    I can see a heroic battling performance with us holding on for the draw. 
    Looking forward to seeing Alfie Doughty (and Mathews?) for the first time. 
  • 5-0 Charlton, Bonne with a brace and a hat-trick for Doughty

If that happens I'll loan you my dog.
  • edited November 2019
    they've taken 3 points from the last 5 games .. DLDLD.. If ever there was a time to play them, it surely is now, BUT I said similar before the Luton game ..
     Bannon is the key, stop him and they are VERY ordinary .. they have a couple of forwards who are very tall and good in the air, SOOO Sarr must play (I agree with @ForeverAddickted 's line up) .. I hope that morale amongst our players is still good, the cup half full scenario is that a few of the youngsters are being given a chance to show what they can do .. If they succeed consistently, then come January, Bowyer can show a few of the underachieving dead woods the door.
    This is a winnable game, I won't be there BUT I hope that all who do go get right behind the team, Sarr for example is a confidence player and any bad vibes/sighs/moans aimed at him will hit home and mean he goes into fuck up mode … in fact, the same goes for all the team.
    We are sure due a win on the silver screen ((:>)

CAFC 2 v Sheffield Wednesday 1
  • Not normally optimistic of our chances in any game. Too many disappointments I guess. But somehow I think we may well grind out a result 

1-0: Goal 90 +6 off somebody’s shin after an almighty scramble

• Not normally optimistic of our chances in any game. Too many disappointments I guess. But somehow I think we may well grind out a result 

1-0: Goal 90 +6 off somebody’s shin after an almighty scramble

I promised the Mrs I'll be home by 5pm.
    If that happens I'll be in trouble. 
  • I would like to disagree with your team FA, but seeing as you have used all the fit players up, I can't. Again watching on Sky, it would be good to see them win but the best I can hope for is 1-1
  • Very hard to find a shred of hope for Saturday. 
  • edited November 2019
    It's 11v11 on the field and the odds yet again not in our favour but football is a funny old game. Stranger things have happened when all hope has seemed lost over the last 60+ years of following the Addicks under my belt. Keep the faith, COYRs.
  • I think we need a few things to happen. Sheff Wed to be a bit cautious and not go for us. We need to keep it tight for as long as possible, strangely, scoring an early goal might be a negative and Phillips needs a great game.