Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• What a man!
  • Talal said:
    Very humble guy. I think along with Yann the best at timing a jump for a header. 
    And along with someone probably before your time, a gentleman by the name of Matt Tees. And balls were a lot heavier in those days!
  • Talal said:
    Very humble guy. I think along with Yann the best at timing a jump for a header. 
    Only if you don’t remember Matt Tees.
  • Talal said:
    And along with someone probably before your time, a gentleman by the name of Matt Tees. And balls were a lot heavier in those days!
    Yes before my time but I've heard his name mentioned previously when discussing headers. 
  • I think he got goal of the season one year, what a player!
  • At least someone wants to come in! Get on the phone Matt, might not have any choice!
  • and we loved him back
  • great interview ... cheers Shaun
  • Sponsored links:

• Shaun done a lot of work off the ball as well his movement was excellent, and as others have said great in the air.
  • I adored Shaun Bartlett. The first time I got a name on the back of my shirt as a kid it was his. A player whose strongest foot was his head. Never had tonnes of goals in him but his all round play and helping us hold the ball up the pitch meant we could always bring other players into the game around him and the goals ended up distributed around the team through his workrate. Glad he loves us because I love him
    Amazing. Perfect summary. 
  • I bumped into him at Sainsbury’s, lovely man.
    A player I adored also.
  • Talal said:
    .....unfortunately the header was often a flick on to nobody. This was in no part his fault however. 
  • What year was 'that volley' and who put the ball in for him, can't make out the shirt number?
  • Sponsored links:

• What year was 'that volley' and who put the ball in for him, can't make out the shirt number?

at a guess 2002 and it was Graham Stuart
  • So under rated by so many Charlton suporters. Yet his manager knew his value and picked him every time.

He'd run through brickwalls for the team - fitness, attitude and application spot on.
    Remember the time Curbs decided to change shape and play 4-5-1 and Bartlett had to plough a lone furrow up front?

Strong running and strong in the air; movement, positioning, timing ..... it was all there. And with decent ability on the ball.
    We all remember some superbly taken goals of his. But what a team player - every manager's dream.

• Loved the pre-match routine he and Fish orchestrated. 
  • I always said I would never have a player's name on the back of my shirt unless it was the same as mine. So I was delighted when he signed, and I happened to be 37 at the time (his squad number) so it was obviously meant to be. When I went to the club shop and asked for the name on the back, the assistant said "You do know he's only on loan don't you?". Then I showed him my credit card and got an approving nod.  :)  
    American Express ? 
  • Always thought he could have been converted to a centre half.
  • Talal said:
    Deon Burton is another one. Under 6’ but won a lot of flick-ons due to his ability to judge the flight of a ball and time his jump. 

Bartlett was probably the best defensive forward we’ve ever had. We very rarely conceded from corners in those days because Bartlett would just head everything away.

I’m sure he would have scored more if we were a more expressive team that played with genuine wingers and put in lots of crosses, rather than Curbs’ preference for a slightly narrower midfield. 
  • Goal he got at Spurs was better than the Leicester one
  • Always thought he could have been converted to a centre half.
    Was about to say that he was a better centre half than centre forward! Great goalkeeper at WHL too lol
  • Bartlett one of the best.