Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• edited July 2020
    The only result I can come to is ageism. 

They don't think a 65 year old will be as well received as 42 year old. 

Weird if it is their reason. Only other thing it could be is that they ran a survey and asked people to choose their preferred commentator. 
  • i dont know why he was sacked but for me his constant appraisal of England players has always pissed me off. 
  • Very surprised, as I'm not aware that many people like Sam Matterface anyway
  • Cost cutting or they think they need to freshen things up. Both would be good.

Is he an employee?
  • I'm sure it's got nothing to do with him being 65 and ITV following BBC's lead!
  • Maybe they're cutting costs. Doubt he'll be short of work elsewhere, though. 
  • Not really sacked. Just pushed aside a bit.

This must have been coming. It happens to the best of 'em. And he is certainly not the best.
  • Plenty of people lose their jobs, get over it.
  • he's not been sacked, just not their lead commentator anymore - probably just an age thing.

am sure BT or Sky will snap him up - barely anything left on ITV to commentate on (apart from England)
  • Sponsored links:

• Can’t stand him. The way he used to fawn over Barcelona in the champions League made me sick. 
  • he's not been sacked, just not their lead commentator anymore - probably just an age thing.

am sure BT or Sky will snap him up - barely anything left on ITV to commentate on (apart from England)

If that were the case then it would be unlawful.
  • Very surprised, as I'm not aware that many people like Sam Matterface anyway
    Yeah but his face definitely matters
  • bobmunro said:
    he's not been sacked, just not their lead commentator anymore - probably just an age thing.

agree and pretty sure no one has actually said that

given the amount of football Sky have, I'm surprised they've not offered him a gig - as ITV's no2 what has he got to do???
  • edited July 2020
    bobmunro said:
    he's not been sacked, just not their lead commentator anymore - probably just an age thing.

agree and pretty sure no one has actually said that

given the amount of football Sky have, I'm surprised they've not offered him a gig - as ITV's no2 what has he got to do???

But Tyldesley might claim it - and the response from him would indicate that it wasn't a mutually agreed decision, or one that he agreed with in any way.
    I would expect a threat of a claim of age discrimination and a subsequent Settlement Agreement reached. (if I was advising him, anyway!)
  • agree....followed by a lucrative contract elsewhere
  • Truly awful commentator. Sanctimonious knob. 
  • Haven't watched Corrie for a while,  what has he done?
  • Sponsored links:

• Dreadful commentator.  His over the top creepy praise for every Brazilian player during the world cups he commentated on was stomach churning.
  • In the light of subsequent comments, I have edited my original post, Cummings stylee...  :D  
  • He has the same grasp of what is ironic as Alanis Morissette. 
  • Can’t stand him. Contrived lines that are pre-prepared purely to work as soundbites, rather than being able to react naturally to big moments.

Unless he is an employee, I don’t see what the issue is here. If he’s a contractor then it’s their choice how they continue their coverage, whether it be with or without him. 
  • It wouldn't be unlawful. Practically everybody working in public media rolls (presenters, commentators, pundits, actors, etc.) are essentially contractors on short term contracts. Clive will be technically self employed and contracted by ITV each year. They are simply choosing not renew his contract (or to offer him a different, lesser contract). Employment law doesn't come into it for a second, they are free to offer contracts and terms as they wish. I imagine Clive provides commentary for a number of different organisations and has a large number of other media gigs and income streams (after dinner speaking, etc.) so he couldn't even argue he as a defacto employee of ITV.
  • Clive Tyldesley has said he is "upset, annoyed" and "baffled" to lose his post as ITV's lead football commentator, saying: "I do not know why this decision has been taken."

Tyldesley, who has voiced ITV's biggest matches for 22 years, is to be replaced from the start of next season by TalkSport's Sam Matterface.

ITV thanked Tyldesley for his "superb work", saying he will still commentate "particularly at major tournaments".

Tyldesley said he had not stepped down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53404899

• He has a very good voice for commentating, never really noticed flaws because I don't watch many england games.
  • edited July 2020
    It wouldn't be unlawful. Practically everybody working in public media rolls (presenters, commentators, pundits, actors, etc.) are essentially contractors on short term contracts. Clive will be technically self employed and contracted by ITV each year. They are simply choosing not renew his contract (or to offer him a different, lesser contract). Employment law doesn't come into it for a second, they are free to offer contracts and terms as they wish. I imagine Clive provides commentary for a number of different organisations and has a large number of other media gigs and income streams (after dinner speaking, etc.) so he couldn't even argue he as a defacto employee of ITV.

If that is the case and he is genuinely self-employed then, no, he would not have employment rights. For example if he was contracted to provide commentaries on a match by match basis and on a business to business arrangement.
    An individual can have both employment and self-employment income so his other income streams may or may not be relevant.
    One caveat though - if he was for example, on an annual fixed-term employment contract with ITV that could either be renewed or not, then after 4 years it is by law considered a permanent contract.
    I would add that even if self-employed he would still be able to bring a claim for age discrimination - albeit in the civil courts rather than an Employment Tribunal. The Equality Act 2010 covers all citizens, not just employees!

• Sorry but what a prick. 22 years in the entertainment industry is a hell of a good run. He gets well paid to fly around the world watching football. Gets him a decent garden. Not even sacked, just doing the semi final not the final. He could say nothing, put out a jokey tweet asking if Sam Matterface can sort him two together for Villa on Sunday but he does this stupid whoa is me thing. Same moan that that prick from 5 Live Alan Green came up with.

At least Motson admitted that he was fed up travelling and was happy to carry on working wherever. (he's odd, worked with him a bit, hates foreign food and is amazingly nervous before a broadcast). 
  • bobmunro said:
    It wouldn't be unlawful. Practically everybody working in public media rolls (presenters, commentators, pundits, actors, etc.) are essentially contractors on short term contracts. Clive will be technically self employed and contracted by ITV each year. They are simply choosing not renew his contract (or to offer him a different, lesser contract). Employment law doesn't come into it for a second, they are free to offer contracts and terms as they wish. I imagine Clive provides commentary for a number of different organisations and has a large number of other media gigs and income streams (after dinner speaking, etc.) so he couldn't even argue he as a defacto employee of ITV.

If that is the case and he is genuinely self-employed then, no, he would not have employment rights. For example if he was contracted to provide commentaries on a match by match basis and on a business to business arrangement.
    An individual can have both employment and self-employment income so his other income streams may or may not be relevant.
    One caveat though - if he was for example, on an annual fixed-term employment contract with ITV that could either renewed or not, then after 4 years it is by law considered a permanent contract.

From discussions on TalkSport between Adrian Durham and Goughie, they're both self employed, they don't do a show they don't get paid. Now Durham has been there a very long time, so presumably for him not to be an employee then he must have an umbrella company, and from that he sell his services to TalkSport, whichever newspapers he has regular columns in and any other media gigs he has. There must be some common workarond, unless they're on zero hour contracts, but those didn't even exist when Durham started at TalkSport.

Anyway, going back to Tyldsley, he provides what, a dozen or less commentaries a year for ITV. He'll simply be contracted each time I would have thought. I can't believe they'd want anything too binding in place as they'll only have a rough idea of times and locations of games in a lot of cases, so can't see either side wanting anything too restrictive in place.