Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Atmosphere at grounds

As the owners debate has had a side debate about atmosphere at grounds, i will give your five good and five bad,Hope this has not been done before

Good /Great
1, Newcastle
2, Sunderland
3, Liverpool
4, Leeds Utd
5, Portsmouth

Poor/Bad
1, Arsenal (not called the library for nothing)
2, Millwall,(Just foul mouth abuse)
3, Man Utd 
4, Spurs (One song, poorly sung)
5,Bournemouth (just strange)

Comments

• Options
    I think MK Dons is the worst I’ve been.

Liverpool was awful too, 1 song at the start and then silence (although Charlton is hardly a big game for them and their European nights are something special).
  • Options
    Don’t find Liverpool that great. 

Up for it for big games but when at home to a Charlton or Fulham atmosphere is flat. 

The fans pick and choose. 
  • Options
    What he said.
  • Options
    I’ve only been to Anfield for a game once, when we got easily beaten in the early 2000s. The start was obviously impressive and when they came forward the roar was pretty intense. I think Steve’s right - it’s just our experience. Big games must be amazing there. 
  • Options
    It's because a lot of Mickey Mousers sell on their tickets to tourists for the crap stuff.  Yep and i mean us!
  • Options
    Vicarage Road was always silent (combined with the old away terrace which was more or less flat, it was never a great experience). My one visit to Ayresome Park was dull, as was my one visit to the Riverside. 

Always enjoyed Goodison Park.
  • Options
    Yeovil has a rather damp atmosphere. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I’ve only been to Anfield for a game once, when we got easily beaten in the early 2000s. The start was obviously impressive and when they came forward the roar was pretty intense. I think Steve’s right - it’s just our experience. Big games must be amazing there. 
    3-0 in December 2000? Sounds like the same game I was at.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Old Trafford is the worst for me - I've been there for so called big games and the atmosphere is as flat as a witch's tit.
  • Options
    Vicarage Road was always silent (combined with the old away terrace which was more or less flat, it was never a great experience). My one visit to Ayresome Park was dull, as was my one visit to the Riverside. 

Always enjoyed Goodison Park.
    Agreed re Goodison. 
  • Options
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    3/ spurs (only been once, was expecting something special. Was disappointed)
    4/ Gillingham 
    5/ Charlton. And not just putting that because we got a mention above. Nicknamed The Valium by our fans. Have sat in the away end on many occasions and barely heard a peep from the home stands, in what is a local derby. Very strange. 

• Options
    Sheffield United is up there. Always felt very alive even in the dark League One days.
  • Options
    Wigan is pretty bad.
  • Options
    Arsenal, Chelsea (just a tourist place now), Man utd, Mk Dons, Colchester, Reading, Wigan
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    iainment said:
    Wigan is pretty bad.
    Oh yeah forgot them. Dire
  • Options
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 
    5/ Charlton. And not just putting that because we got a mention above. Nicknamed The Valium by our fans. Have sat in the away end on many occasions and barely heard a peep from the home stands, in what is a local derby. Very strange. 

I’ve always thought that millwalls away noise is pretty poor, you make that stupid noise that sounds like a sheep getting stuck on a fence once or twice a game but that’s it.
    Yeah rubbish....

https://youtu.be/TQPSI0fXqcs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

I’ve always thought that millwalls away noise is pretty poor, you make that stupid noise that sounds like a sheep getting stuck on a fence once or twice a game but that’s it.
    Yeah rubbish....

Why are there empty seats in the away end?
  • Options
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Although will agree the last one was a bit flat from us. It was a bitterly cold day and a dire 0-0 draw. 
    Other than that though, all the other ones I can remember going to we always made plenty of noise. There’s various clips doing the rounds, not just the one I posted above. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

People hanging around the bar and concourses chatting more than likely. Also just standing in aisles. We don’t tend to sit in our allocated seats. We’ve always sold out at your place and do at every London ground we visit. 

As an aside, someone on Millwall online once claimed that Charlton have never sold out the home ends in a London Derby outside the PL, surely that can’t be right? 
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

People hanging around the bar and concourses chatting more than likely. Also just standing in aisles. We don’t tend to sit in our allocated seats. We’ve always sold out at your place and do at every London ground we visit. 

As an aside, someone on Millwall online once claimed that Charlton have never sold out the home ends in a London Derby outside the PL, surely that can’t be right? 
    Sadly I think it’s probably true. Can probably count on one hand the amount of non-fiver games we’ve sold out at home in the last 10 years.

• Options
    The new Colchester United stadium is far worse than the New Den.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The New Den should be nowhere near the bottom 5. Even if you don’t like their fans, at least you know you will actually get an atmosphere there.

Nothing I’ve experienced has been worse than MK Dons. Though it has been run close by the new Colchester stadium, as well as Wigan 

Fulham is bad, but at least the stadium has a bit of character. 

Best atmosphere I’ve been part of on an away day was Sheffield United in the FA Cup. Obviously not the way we wanted it to be, but that place went absolutely bezerk when their goals went in.
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

Let’s not forget our stadium holds a lot more then the Den though. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    cafctom said:
    The New Den should be nowhere near the bottom 5. Even if you don’t like their fans, at least you know you will actually get an atmosphere there.

Nothing I’ve experienced has been worse than MK Dons. Though it has been run close by the new Colchester stadium, as well as Wigan 

Best atmosphere I’ve been part of on an away day was Sheffield United in the FA Cup. Obviously not the way we wanted it to be, but that place went absolutely bezerk when their goals went in.

cafctom said:
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

Sadly I think it’s probably true. Can probably count on one hand the amount of non-fiver games we’ve sold out at home in the last 10 years.

Wow, genuinely surprised at that. 

Not sure if the original poster was fishing  for a bite but the amount of fans from other clubs I’ve spoken to who always mention the unique atmosphere at the den. A Leeds mate said they love coming to the Den because of the old school atmosphere (he also described the valley as ‘gods waiting room’). For all our faults, the one thing we’re good at is creating a noise from a relatively small sized crowd. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

Wow, genuinely surprised at that. 

Not sure if the original poster was fishing  for a bite but the amount of fans from other clubs I’ve spoken to who always mention the unique atmosphere at the den. A Leeds mate said they love coming to the Den because of the old school atmosphere (he also described the valley as ‘gods waiting room’). For all our faults, the one thing we’re good at is creating a noise from a relatively small sized crowd. 
    Must have been a wind up, the Dens a decent atmosphere. Been to three non Charlton games there and it was decent everytime. 
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    best...
    1/ Leeds
    2/ Man Citys old place 
    3/ Portsmouth 
    4/ West Ham’s old place 
    5/ Birmingham  City

Worse... 
    1/ Reading
    2/ Watford
    4/ Gillingham 

Yeah rubbish....

Let’s not forget our stadium holds a lot more then the Den though. 
    Yeah but you’re a lot bigger club than us. Surely you should have at least once sold out a London Derby outside the top flight? 

You’re ground holds 27k, 7/8k more than ours. I reckon even we could have sold out that number over the years on certain occasions, especially v West Ham and palace, and even v yourselves at times.