Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

I am one of the now not so lucky ones who got tickets to quite a few games for last summers tournament that never made it. 

Who knows what the tournament will look like at this stage, with UEFA still committing to 12 host cities (crazy) but for arguments sake let’s say it’s played behind closed doors as seems most likely. 

Nevertheless, it’s still a topic of hot discussion amongst me and my mates, with the tournament barely 5 months away, it’s an easy way for all of us to sort of unite among the common ground of wanting the national team to succeed and somehow emulate the summer of 2018 both on and off the field. 

We’ve started drawing up our potential 23 man squad and starting XI’s so thought I would get the ball rolling in here, albeit slightly prematurely. 

My 23 man squad would be:

Pope
Pickford
Henderson

Chillwell
Shaw
Maguire 
Stones
Mings
Dier
Walker
Trippier
Trent

Henderson
Rice
Mount
Maddison
Foden

Grealish
Rashford
Sancho
Kane 
Sterling
DCL

Be interested to see who makes it atm with a lot of players on the cusp with a few hitting decent form such as Saka and Harvey Barnes who both probably will narrowly miss out imo.

Comments

• James should make it and probably at the expense of Trippier. It should have no relevance but Trippier has chosen to play abroad and also has a ban hanging over him at the moment which, if imposed, will mean him missing 10 weeks of the season, I think James has a more physical presence in any event.
  • I’d have James in my starting 11
  • Are we assuming that Gomez won't be fit too? 
  • I am one of the now not so lucky ones who got tickets to quite a few games for last summers tournament that never made it. 

Who knows what the tournament will look like at this stage, with UEFA still committing to 12 host cities (crazy) but for arguments sake let’s say it’s played behind closed doors as seems most likely. 

Nevertheless, it’s still a topic of hot discussion amongst me and my mates, with the tournament barely 5 months away, it’s an easy way for all of us to sort of unite among the common ground of wanting the national team to succeed and somehow emulate the summer of 2018 both on and off the field. 

We’ve started drawing up our potential 23 man squad and starting XI’s so thought I would get the ball rolling in here, albeit slightly prematurely. 

Pope
    Pickford
    Henderson

Chillwell
    Shaw
    Maguire 
    Stones
    Mings
    Dier
    Walker
    Trippier
    Trent

Henderson
    Rice
    Mount
    Maddison
    Foden

Grealish
    Rashford
    Sancho
    Kane 
    Sterling
    DCL

Be interested to see who makes it atm with a lot of players on the cusp with a few hitting decent form such as Saka and Harvey Barnes who both probably will narrowly miss out imo.
    Reece James instead of Trippier.

I can't see Maddison going. Not because i don't think he deserves to go, but more because we have a ton of attacking options already. If one of Henderson/Rice got injured then you're down to one defensive midfielder, so if Southgate thinks like that then maybe Kalvin Phillips will go. 
    If he decides that Dier can double up and play defensive mid, then i can see Saka going because he's naturally left sided.

I just think with Mount, Foden and Grealish there's no real need for Maddison.

Rest of the squad (injuries aside) i think you have spot on and pretty much picks itself.
  • Konsa deserves to make the 23.
  • edited January 2021
    Konsa deserves to make the 23.
    Instead of who?

He's not getting in ahead of Maguire or Stones. Or Gomez if he's fit in time. His teammate Mings is probably ahead of him too and i doubt he gets in ahead of Dier as he can also cover defensive mid if required. Possibly also behind Coady who did well in the last round of internationals although Wolves' form has been shit for weeks.
  • Saka will be there and is a must imo. Pickford will go, but is a liability and a mistake waiting to happen. I feel the same about Dier, but will get the Mr Versatile role. 
  • Pope
    Pickford
    Henderson

Chilwell
    Shaw
    Maguire 
    Stones
    Mings
    Dier
    Keane
    James
    Trent

Henderson
    Rice
    Mount
    Maddison
    Foden

Grealish
    Rashford
    Sancho
    Kane 
    Sterling
    DCL

Took the original post and put in Reece James (my choice for starting RB) for Kieran Trippier, and Michael Keane for Kyle Walker.

Could possibly argue Maddison could be replaced by Kalvin Phillips, but I feel Dier can cover there if need be. Potential for Saka to also be included instead.
  • Saka will go. He’s been brilliant lately and can see his form lasting. 

Pickford does well for England. Southgate loves him, so as much as we talk about him, he will play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Depending on what happens for the rest of the season I actually maybe wouldn't take Trent. He's struggled for form this season with injuries and Covid recovery and his performances have been pretty poor. He's also never once played well for England. He doesn't seem to suit the system that England play; maybe it's a result of being young and being so well-drilled in a very specific way of playing but it doesn't seem to work in the national team. Probably better to take Walker and James and not have three spaces taken up by right backs.
  • Is Lamptey English if so play him, would have him ever day of the week over James, a joy to watch play football, so much freedom.
  • edited January 2021
    Southgate big decision is down to whether we plan to play a back 5 or a back 4. If its a back 5 then I think we will see Kyle Walker become the 4th centre back which we saw at WC.

Pope 
    Henderson 
    Pickford

Chillwell
    Saka
    Stones
    Maguire
    dier
    walker
    trippier
    Trent

Hendo
    Rice 
    Mount
    Grealish
    Foden 
    Maddison
    Phillips

Kane
    Sancho
    Rashy
    Sterling
    DCL

(Ive got James Justin at 25/1 to make the England squad, here's hoping he goes as the second left back)

• Saka will be there and is a must imo. Pickford will go, but is a liability and a mistake waiting to happen. I feel the same about Dier, but will get the Mr Versatile role. 
    Pickford has never made a mistake for England. I doubt anyone can name one error which he made during his time for England. 
  • James should make it and probably at the expense of Trippier. It should have no relevance but Trippier has chosen to play abroad and also has a ban hanging over him at the moment which, if imposed, will mean him missing 10 weeks of the season, I think James has a more physical presence in any event.
    As someone who watches LaLiga pretty closely, Trippier has been phenomenal for Atletico. He has also been playing in a back 3/5 which again works in his favour.

Southgate is incredibly loyal to certain players and I think we need do need to capitalise on using the players with decent tournament experience. 

Although like you say, the betting thing hanging over him is a spanner in the works for sure. 

For the record I would have James over Trent but I tried to pick my squad being realistic and it was also a sort of prediction. Trents form as been woeful although James hasn't been much better. Notable poor performances against Arsenal and Leicester stand out. I think Trent will get in and probably start based off pure reputation. 

• I am one of the now not so lucky ones who got tickets to quite a few games for last summers tournament that never made it. 

Pope
    Pickford
    Henderson

Chillwell
    Shaw
    Maguire 
    Stones
    Mings
    Dier
    Walker
    Trippier
    Trent

Henderson
    Rice
    Mount
    Maddison
    Foden

Grealish
    Rashford
    Sancho
    Kane 
    Sterling
    DCL

Reece James instead of Trippier.

I can't see Maddison going. Not because i don't think he deserves to go, but more because we have a ton of attacking options already. If one of Henderson/Rice got injured then you're down to one defensive midfielder, so if Southgate thinks like that then maybe Kalvin Phillips will go. 
    If he decides that Dier can double up and play defensive mid, then i can see Saka going because he's naturally left sided.

I just think with Mount, Foden and Grealish there's no real need for Maddison.

Rest of the squad (injuries aside) i think you have spot on and pretty much picks itself.

I really hope Philips doesn't go, don't think he has done anywhere near enough apart from playing for Leeds. 

In regard to having a lot of attacking 'midfielders' I think we can't forget that Southgate rightly or wrongly, see's Grealish as an attacker and will play him on the left of a front three rather than deeper. So in terms of creative midfielders that would only mean having Mount and Foden so would free up space for Maddison.

I agree that he deserves to go too, although if one will miss out I could too see it being Maddison mainly because he hasn't been involved in the other recent squads due to injury and not being selected.
  • Is Lamptey English if so play him, would have him ever day of the week over James, a joy to watch play football, so much freedom.
    One who jumped ship at Chelsea to get game time, its worked out well rather than being farmed out on loan for the rest of his career.
  • Pope
    TAA, Maguire, Stones, Chilwell
    Henderson, Rice
    Grealish
    Foden, Kane, Sterling

This is my XI, pending that TAA and Sterling sort their form out or I’d go with Justin and Rashford instead, could argue Sancho should start but to be honest I don’t follow German football so not sure on his form.  

Think Rice gets a lot of stick and I’m still not sold on him myself but he’s in a team that’s winning and growing in confidence.  

Had enough of Pickford personally Pope just looks so composed and confident I don’t think a major tournament as number 1 would fluster him.  

And Grealish is an absolute must for me, probably only one player on the team sheet before him (Kane).  

I do like mount but not enough for a start for me, unfortunately I think Southgate will go with a more conservative approach which is frustrating, no way we need 3 centre backs, 2 defensive midfielders and 2 full backs playing slightly further up the pitch, I just wanna see us attack cos I think we’ve enough to go for it these days.
  • The form of James and Chilwell has not been great so far this season, still early days yet.
    Tierney went past James far to easily when Chelsea played Arsenal. 
  • pettgra said:
    The form of James and Chilwell has not been great so far this season, still early days yet.
    Yeah that was basically what I was referring too above, I remember G Nev saying that he needs to work on his game a lot defensively and since then he has looked pretty poor. He is still young and will develop that side of his game I am sure, BUT, an international tournament is not the time for that, that's why I would go for the tried and tested experienced full backs. Also I think it is no secret that our defence is our weakness and will probably full short against the better teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ross said:
    Pope
    Pickford
    Henderson

Chilwell
    Shaw
    Maguire 
    Stones
    Mings
    Dier
    Keane
    James
    Trent

Henderson
    Rice
    Mount
    Maddison
    Foden

Grealish
    Rashford
    Sancho
    Kane 
    Sterling
    DCL

Took the original post and put in Reece James (my choice for starting RB) for Kieran Trippier, and Michael Keane for Kyle Walker.

Could possibly argue Maddison could be replaced by Kalvin Phillips, but I feel Dier can cover there if need be. Potential for Saka to also be included instead.

Interesting. I actually think Kyle Walker is the first name on the list in Southgates mind because he is a strong RB and fits into the role of RCB in a back 3 very well. His pace covering for the other 2 CB's is almost invaluable. 
  • pettgra said:
    The form of James and Chilwell has not been great so far this season, still early days yet.
    Yeah that was basically what I was referring too above, I remember G Nev saying that he needs to work on his game a lot defensively and since then he has looked pretty poor. He is still young and will develop that side of his game I am sure, BUT, an international tournament is not the time for that, that's why I would go for the tried and tested experienced full backs. Also I think it is no secret that our defence is our weakness and will probably full short against the better teams.
    Yep I agree. I know it is only one player against another; however, when we play Scotland Tierney is going to fancy his chances against James. Mind you Tierney will not have Saka to help him. That was a two man demolition job.
  • GK - Pope/Pickford, not decided on third choice, Henderson hasn't played enough. I'd probably just about choose him as a bit like Pope previously it will be good to get some tournament experience given he should be around for at least another decade. 

RB - Trent/James. Wan-Bissaka, Walker, Tripper, Justin, absolute outstanding depth here. 
    LB-  Chilwell/Shaw
    CB - Maguire, Keane, Stones, Mings
    CM - Henderson, Dier, Rice
    AM/Wingers - Foden, Grealish, Sancho, Sterling
    STR - Kane, DCL, Rashford

2 places up for grabs for me. Probably a CM and an attacking player. I'd probably have Mount, Saka and Maddison competing for one place, all three having good seasons. Phillips has been decent, wouldn't rule out James Ward-Prowse or even Ruben Loftus-Cheek. 
  • fuck me if that is our best for CB's we are in trouble
  • fuck me if that is our best for CB's we are in trouble
    I disagree I think our CB’s are all in fine form and if that continues it bodes well for us.  Stones has been excellent since Pep started picking him again, Maguire had an early season blip but has picked up again, Mings has been an integral part of a very strong Villa defence, Keane also had a solid season only one I’m not keen on is Dier.
  • Pickford in goal (at least to start) as he seems at home in an England shirt. 

Back four is tough. Chilwell LB is about the only one I'm confident in starting and even he has defensive liabilities. Can't believe I'm saying it but I'd start James over TAA too. If we had a better CB pairing I'd maybe risk Trent but think James suits the way we'll play. CB's he'll probably go Maguire and whoever is in the best form hopefully.

Midfield is Henderson +2. This is where I'd like to see us go balls to the wall and play Foden and Mount in the easier games. Mount slightly deeper, Foden ahead.

Front 3 has to be Sterling, Kane, Grealish. Has a mixture of pace, power, and techincal ability. That could be the best attack in the tournament. 

I'd say we've really got to be looking at a Semi Final here. I can understand our defensive frailties set us back a little, but that is the most attacking talent we've had in an England side in ages. At worst go out in the Quarters, but go out trying to score goals.
  • Trippier is playing regularly for the best defence in world football. He has to go.
    Isnt he suspended for nine weeks though due to the betting offence... Or was that nine games?
  • Trippier is playing regularly for the best defence in world football. He has to go.
    Hundred percent. Plus he played left back for almost every game in the nations league. Can easily go as our second left back to cover Chilwell if injured. 
    Hundred percent. Plus he played left back for almost every game in the nations league. Can easily go as our second left back to cover Chilwell if injured. 
    Harsh on Shaw given his recent form. If he carries that on he has to go. I'm not against Trippier going to be fair, but he shouldn't go as a second choice LB above Shaw.