Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vaccine

Comments

• Someone I know had the Oxford jab a week ago. Only side effect they have had so far was a pain in the hip area. Nothing too serious by the sounds of it. 

sorry to hear about your Mum @Hex
    wishing her all the best 

Mine resulted in getting a pain in the bottom.  A bit like last night actually.
    Blimey :o doesn't sound like you were socially distancing !!!
  • stonemuse said:
    Had my first jab of the Pfizer vintage this afternoon .. at first I was very dubious about the speed at which the vaccine was produced, BUT duty calls and  what's good enough for Queen Liz & Princes Phil and Charlie is good enough for me .. 
     the jab itself was less intrusive than the standard flu injection ..
    many thanks to the terrific NHS staff who are getting these inoculations done at a very efficient and fast rate .. my second dose is due on May 6th
    Good stuff 
    thanks my friend .. when is yours due (I have no idea at all about your age and/or state of health) ?
    Had mine last Saturday 
  • stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Had my first jab of the Pfizer vintage this afternoon .. at first I was very dubious about the speed at which the vaccine was produced, BUT duty calls and  what's good enough for Queen Liz & Princes Phil and Charlie is good enough for me .. 
     the jab itself was less intrusive than the standard flu injection ..
    many thanks to the terrific NHS staff who are getting these inoculations done at a very efficient and fast rate .. my second dose is due on May 6th
    Good stuff 
    thanks my friend .. when is yours due (I have no idea at all about your age and/or state of health) ?
    Had mine last Saturday 
    nice .. hope everything goes well for ALL of us worldwide

• Hex said:
    Thanks for the good wishes. 
    Mum's symtoms were, interestingly, that of a cold and mainly lots of phlegm - not the dry cough you would expect.  We were unsure whether to take up the offer of a test (PCR) from the on-site carers but decided we would be stupid not to do so.  In any case mum was worse the following morning (Tuesday) and her carers called an ambulance.
    The hospital were planning on discharging her (Friday) providing she was off oxygen for long enough.  However, she had a temperature one night and yesterday afternoon was put back on oxygen due to fluctuating sats.  We wait and hope.
    Wishing you & your Mum all the best Hex
  • Redrobo said:
    Someone I know had the Oxford jab a week ago. Only side effect they have had so far was a pain in the hip area. Nothing too serious by the sounds of it. 

sorry to hear about your Mum @Hex
    wishing her all the best 

Mine resulted in getting a pain in the bottom.  A bit like last night actually.
    Blimey :o doesn't sound like you were socially distancing !!!
    If it is a drive through it should be noted that it is your ARM that you stick out of the window.
    Depends on what sort of drive through it is I suppose
  • Sponsored links:

• Hex said:
    Mum's symtoms were, interestingly, that of a cold and mainly lots of phlegm - not the dry cough you would expect.  We were unsure whether to take up the offer of a test (PCR) from the on-site carers but decided we would be stupid not to do so.  In any case mum was worse the following morning (Tuesday) and her carers called an ambulance.
    The hospital were planning on discharging her (Friday) providing she was off oxygen for long enough.  However, she had a temperature one night and yesterday afternoon was put back on oxygen due to fluctuating sats.  We wait and hope.
    Sadly @charltonbob mum’s luck has run out.  Last year she spent around 3 months in hospital at various times with a broken hip, falls and clots on her lungs.  Somehow she managed to pick the low COVID times.  Having had her jab we breather a sigh of relief but we were too soon.  She is currently on maximum oxygen, there is no more that they can do for her at her age.  It’s a matter of time ....

Mrs Hex, having carried out the covid test now has the virus, having had to exaggerate her symptoms to get a test.  I tested negative today but I guess I’m likely to pick it up from her.  Will my jab, at the same time as mum’s, give me more of a defence.  Who knows ...

To those who have recently had their jab, don’t relax, even a little, too soon !
  • Sorry to hear that, @hex. Best of luck to you and your family. 
  • My wife and myself both had the AZ vaccine yesterday at 12.45pm.

We both felt fine until about 9.00pm last night. When we both took a turn for the worse.
    We both had a terrible night. Both had flu like symptoms, with raging headaches and both going from hot to cold.

I have just woken up, and am still in bed as I write this at 1.15pm.

24 hours after receiving the jab we both still feel shit, but hopefully we are slightly better than we were 12 hours ago.
    We had our AZ jabs last Saturday morning and felt fine for the remainder of the day....until late evening when I suddenly started to feel quite chilly & shivery. 

Seemed to spend most of the night awake, with loads of stuff refusing to be silenced in my old 'ead ( I'm normally a great sleeper !)

Spent Sunday & Monday on the settee under a blanket, feeling quite sorry for myself when not snoozing. Picked at food but didn't really feel hungry at all. 

My arm has felt very bruised in an area about the size of a hand around the vaccination site, which was quite hot & dark pink there. 

On Tuesday, my energy levels continued to be low and  that evening I found myself having a quiet weep several times whilst watching TV...nothing connected to what we were viewing. Really weird....

Since then, I've gradually returned to "normality" but today was the first time that I've noticed less tenderness in my arm and my appetite seems to have returned.

Throughout this period, it's interesting to report that Mr F has been his usual laid back self whilst attending to my every need but his hair appears to be growing at ever increasing speed ! 
    I hope you are feeling much better tonight Fanny.
    Makes you wonder what full on COVID must be like though. Let’s hope science can reduce this terrible virus to an also ran.
  • Hex said:
    Hex said:
    Sadly @charltonbob mum’s luck has run out.  Last year she spent around 3 months in hospital at various times with a broken hip, falls and clots on her lungs.  Somehow she managed to pick the low COVID times.  Having had her jab we breather a sigh of relief but we were too soon.  She is currently on maximum oxygen, there is no more that they can do for her at her age.  It’s a matter of time ....

Mrs Hex, having carried out the covid test now has the virus, having had to exaggerate her symptoms to get a test.  I tested negative today but I guess I’m likely to pick it up from her.  Will my jab, at the same time as mum’s, give me more of a defence.  Who knows ...

To those who have recently had their jab, don’t relax, even a little, too soon !
    That's terrible Hex, I feel for you mate but don't give up hope. Good luck & best wishes to Mrs Hex & yourself as well. That's very true about the jab & I can just see thousands of idiots have the jab & think it's all over with. Dreadful times.
  • Once the jab is had for a second time and whatever time needs to pass can you still pass the virus on or are you possibly asymptomatic (think that’s the word ) ?

• edited February 2021
    Once the jab is had for a second time and whatever time needs to pass can you still pass the virus on or are you possibly asymptomatic (think that’s the word ) ?
    Too early to say mate but here’s a brief summary taken from this recent BBC article  https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210203-why-vaccinated-people-may-still-be-able-to-spread-covid-19 which it’s best to read in full. 

What type of immunity do the Covid-19 vaccines provide?

"In a nutshell we don't know, because they’re too new," says Keith Neal, professor emeritus of epidemiology at the University of Nottingham. 

So far, the available Covid-19 vaccines have not been judged primarily on their ability to prevent transmission – though this is now being evaluated as a secondary endpoint for many of them. Instead, their efficacy was assessed by whether they could prevent symptoms from developing. "This means that we set our targets kind of pragmatically," says Danny Altmann, professor of immunology at Imperial College London.

For the time being then it’s still HANDS, FACE, SPACE.
  • Thanks Red Chaser , gives those vaccinated the potential to spread with the ‘I’m alright Jack’ attitude ....
    that’s me , always look for the worst in people and you’ll rarely be let down 
  • edited February 2021
    Thanks Red Chaser , gives those vaccinated the potential to spread with the ‘I’m alright Jack’ attitude ....
    This is my concern. Just because you’ve been vaccinated, it’s not an open license to drop your guard. It’s only one albeit a very important building block in reducing the seriousness of the illness. Some of the vaccines may well prevent transmission if not now, when they’ve been tweaked. That is the scientists’ ultimate goal no matter how difficult it is to achieve.

As an aside Pneumonia is responsible for taking the lives of many elderly people and that’s what my late father contracted. So when I was offered the pneumonia jab a couple of years ago I never hesitated. I naively asked the nurse if it meant I couldn’t ever get pneumonia to which she replied ‘No! but you shouldn’t get it as severely and perhaps not as life threatening’.

We both felt fine until about 9.00pm last night. When we both took a turn for the worse.
    We both had a terrible night. Both had flu like symptoms, with raging headaches and both going from hot to cold.

24 hours after receiving the jab we both still feel shit, but hopefully we are slightly better than we were 12 hours ago.
    We had our AZ jabs last Saturday morning and felt fine for the remainder of the day....until late evening when I suddenly started to feel quite chilly & shivery. 

Seemed to spend most of the night awake, with loads of stuff refusing to be silenced in my old 'ead ( I'm normally a great sleeper !)

Spent Sunday & Monday on the settee under a blanket, feeling quite sorry for myself when not snoozing. Picked at food but didn't really feel hungry at all. 

My arm has felt very bruised in an area about the size of a hand around the vaccination site, which was quite hot & dark pink there. 

On Tuesday, my energy levels continued to be low and  that evening I found myself having a quiet weep several times whilst watching TV...nothing connected to what we were viewing. Really weird....

Since then, I've gradually returned to "normality" but today was the first time that I've noticed less tenderness in my arm and my appetite seems to have returned.

Throughout this period, it's interesting to report that Mr F has been his usual laid back self whilst attending to my every need but his hair appears to be growing at ever increasing speed ! 
    I had my AZ jab on Tuesday. Same as you Fanny, felt ok till about 9 pm when I had flu like symptoms.
    Went to bed but woke in the night shivering uncontrollably, took a couple of Paracetamol and slept o.k.
    The next day felt a bit under the weather but ok now.
    Friends were told to take Paracetamol when they retuned after having the jab, think I will do that when I have my booster.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Took paracetamol yesterday and now feel pretty much back to normal bar a sore arm still. 
  • edited February 2021
    Thanks Red Chaser , gives those vaccinated the potential to spread with the ‘I’m alright Jack’ attitude ....
    Sadly, I think this is a significant risk. I have a friend in retail and she has noticed a change in attitude in some of the regular customers since they had the jab. She's challenged a few about why they are (no longer) wearing a mask or reminded a few to wait outside and back off if the shop's "busy". She's been told more than once it's okay they've had their jab so it's all good.

They look a bit confused when she has to remind them that she's not had her jab though. 

I had my AZ jab on Tuesday. Same as you Fanny, felt ok till about 9 pm when I had flu like symptoms.
    Went to bed but woke in the night shivering uncontrollably, took a couple of Paracetamol and slept o.k.
    The next day felt a bit under the weather but ok now.
    Friends were told to take Paracetamol when they retuned after having the jab, think I will do that when I have my booster.   
    Paracetamol definitely works, I felt improved within 3-4 hours 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Took paracetamol yesterday and now feel pretty much back to normal bar a sore arm still. 
    Good news 
  • edited February 2021
    Can I just add that if you suffer those flu like symptoms after having a vaccine then if at all possible try not to take paracetamol or ibuprofen. The reaction you are experiencing is your bodies response to the vaccine antigen and it’s preferable to allow the body to do its thing unhindered. You are not actually ill in the traditional sense. I’m guessing that a thumping headache might make this quite difficult. 
  • Can I just add that if you suffer those flu like symptoms after having a vaccine then if at all possible try not to take paracetamol or ibuprofen. The reaction you are experiencing is your bodies response to the vaccine antigen and it’s preferable to allow the body to do its thing unhindered. You are not actually ill in the traditional sense. I’m guessing that a thumping headache might make this quite difficult. 
    And yet the nurses where I had the vaccine plus the leaflet they gave me all stated that paracetamol was recommended?
  • Jints said:
    Mum's had second Pfizer jab about 6 weeks after the first. In her late 70s
    Any reaction, @Jints ?

The 2nd jab is supposed to be reacting to the first jab, I believe?

• edited February 2021
    stonemuse said:
    Can I just add that if you suffer those flu like symptoms after having a vaccine then if at all possible try not to take paracetamol or ibuprofen. The reaction you are experiencing is your bodies response to the vaccine antigen and it’s preferable to allow the body to do its thing unhindered. You are not actually ill in the traditional sense. I’m guessing that a thumping headache might make this quite difficult. 
    And yet the nurses where I had the vaccine plus the leaflet they gave me all stated that paracetamol was recommended?
    I think it’s one of those areas of medicine that still requires further study but there is some evidence that antipyretics can blunt an immune response.