Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

1818283848587»

Comments

• https://youtu.be/7Y_FHhByhBk This is what pig farming in Britain looks like in 2021. Considering that pigs are as intelligent and as sociable as dogs how is it we treat one as soulmates and one as just a commodity? ‘Yeah but bacon though’ is no justification for the cruelty we inflict on these sentient beings.
  • https://youtu.be/7Y_FHhByhBk This is what pig farming in Britain looks like in 2021. Considering that pigs are as intelligent and as sociable as dogs how is it we treat one as soulmates and one as just a commodity? ‘Yeah but bacon though’ is no justification for the cruelty we inflict on these sentient beings.
    Awful viewing. Cutting their tails and teeth because they are in such a dreadful, unnatural environment that they will bite each other due to stress and boredom. Similarly in commercial egg-laying chicken farms their beaks are trimmed when very young to stop them pecking each other for the same reason. ‘Enrichment’ of their environment is meant to reduce stress and pecking. Meant to. Proper enrichment would be to let them outside.
  • Providing an enriching environment would cut down on the profit margins though and we’re both aware that animals are merely things not worthy of comfort in animal agriculture. Just a commodity to be used and sold.
    What a tough watch. Truly baffles me that if that was a video on dogs there would be uproar but pigs aren't recognised the same. 

The most interesting comment someone made to me recently when asking for the 100th time why I am vegan, asked that if we stopped eating all the cows suddenly what would we do with them all? And explained how suddenly stopping eating animals would be dangerous in itself. There really is no hope haha 
  • Pigs are far more intelligent dogs - but that it matters - sentience is the thing that matters 
  • edited August 2021

It's all kicking off at Head Office.

Five trustees quit Vegan Society as one labels it 'not a safe place for young, black, queer or any other marginalised people'

Resignations were culmination of a row about whether veganism was cultural appropriation of foods and traditions from Africa and Asia

When the Vegan Society was established 77 years ago, its founding fathers proudly claimed to have created a way of life everyone could embrace to prevent cruelty towards animals.

But that compassionate ethos was said to be woefully lacking in the charity’s treatment of humans after five trustees quit last month amid claims of racism and intolerance.

The spate of resignations was the culmination of a bitter row about whether veganism - a word coined in 1944 by the society’s founder, Donald Watson - was actually cultural appropriation of foods and traditions from Africa and Asia. It even resulted in one resigning trustee accusing the society of being institutionally racist.

In the summer, the Vegan Society commissioned Ijeoma Omambala, QC, to investigate claims the then vice chair, Eshe Kiama Zuri, had posted racist comments online.

Her report, published in June, found Zuri had in fact written two “unprofessional and inappropriate” comments about the society, but neither was racist.

ADVERTISING

The barrister noted how the “vast majority” of complaints against Zuri were unfounded but appeared motivated by an anonymous person’s “profound personal animosity” towards Zuri due to their “identity and protected characteristics”.

Zuri, 25, describes themself on their personal website as “disabled and non-gendered”, meaning they do not identify as either male or female.

The activist, who also boasts on the website of being a campaigning “loud mouth”, has written how veganism was coined by a “white man” but “hippy vegan food” is based upon culinary traditions including dal from Pakistan, tofu and wheat from China and hummus from the Middle East.

The barrister’s report to the society added how during its council meetings Zuri had been “mis-gendered” - referred to by a sex they do not identify as - and the council “is not equipped to have mature and constructive conversations on diversity and inclusion matters; nor is it able to deal effectively with challenges to prevailing orthodoxies”.

The publication of the barrister’s report saw Zuri, Robb Masters, Joel Bravette, Michele Fox and Sally Anderson quit as trustees last month.

Zuri’s resignation letter states they had been “naive” joining the council in 2019 as a “multiply marginalised trustee, being black, queer, disabled and working class” accusing the charity of being “institutionally racist”.

Explaining how they had been “forced out” due to a “smear campaign”, Zuri adds: “I can confidently say that the Vegan Society is not a safe place for young people, for black people, for queer people or for any other marginalised people.”

Zuri claims to have “brought a perspective to council that challenged not just trustees as individuals, but also the systemic racism and oppression that exists in any organisation set up without any time taken to look at diversity or inclusivity … and with a white supremacist structure...”

Zuri, who is believed to have been active in the Black Lives Matter movement, adds how wearing a jumper emblazoned with the word ‘Token’ was deemed “inappropriate”.

In his resignation letter, Robb Masters, the former chairman of the society’s council, complains of a “toxic environment” which saw Zuri face “hostility”, with other “oppressions” being commonplace, including transphobia - prejudice against transexual or transgender people - and ableism - discrimination in favour of able-bodied people.

After joining the council in 2018, his hopes that “while we continue to focus on challenging the exploitation of other animals, we strive not to uphold the oppression of marginalised humans as we do so” were short-lived, he wrote.

Instead, he said he became the victim of a “public smear campaign … instigated by certain trustees” who prioritise “income over ethics while preserving a predominately white, predominately male, predominately cisgender, heterosexual, able-bodied and neurotypical stranglehold over the Vegan movement....”

Ms Omambala found complaints Mr Masters supported alleged racism by Zuri were also unfounded.

A spokesman for the Vegan Society said there had been “conflict” within the charity’s board of trustees which it had been “working hard to address”, adding how it was “regrettable” the resignations were received the day before a planned mediation session.

He added how the charity was seeking to implement “as quickly as possible” the recommendations listed in the barrister’s report.

“As with many charities, the Vegan Society has a number of challenges that we must address as we evolve into an even more diverse and inclusive organisation. 

"This is something we are actively working on, supported by respected external ED&I consultants, and our commitment is to foster an inclusive environment for all of our staff, trustees, members and supporters.”

• Intersectional wokeness gone mad. Human egos squabbling whilst the animals continue to suffer.
  • https://youtu.be/GfiZ026XkZk The truth about plant milks.
  • That’s a very sad video to watch 😢
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m too chicken to watch it for exactly that reason. What humans do is sometimes completely unacceptable. 
  • edited August 2021
    https://youtu.be/h6qQCiQeGsc Ex-Special Forces Sniper Is Vegan For The Animals.

Good interview.
  • edited September 2021
    https://youtu.be/7Y_FHhByhBk This is what pig farming in Britain looks like in 2021. Considering that pigs are as intelligent and as sociable as dogs how is it we treat one as soulmates and one as just a commodity? ‘Yeah but bacon though’ is no justification for the cruelty we inflict on these sentient beings.
    Interesting post because only this morning I was reading in Le Monde about a farmer who killed his neighbour's dog and as a result may face a year in prison.

I found myself not for the first time wondering why society places such a high value on the lives of cats and dogs but not on the lives of pigs, cows, chickens etc.

The irony in the case in Le Monde is that he killed the dog to protect the lives of his poultry. Poultry that most probably many people in the courtroom will eat at some point while the trial is on.

In my opinion if the jury and judge sentence him to prison and yet they are not vegan then they could be considered hypocrites.
    Interesting post because only this morning I was reading in Le Monde about a farmer who killed his neighbour's dog and as a result may face a year in prison.

I found myself not for the first time wondering why society places such a high value on the lives of cats and dogs but not on the lives of pigs, cows, chickens etc.

The irony in the case in Le Monde is that he killed the dog to protect the lives of his poultry. Poultry that most probably many people in the courtroom will eat at some point while the trial is on.

i think the charges would have been the same if he’d killed his cow/sheep/chicken. Maybe even worse as it would have resulted in a loss of earnings.

I do take your point though that the life of your “part of the family pets” are deemed more worthy than of the animals that people eat and I think it’s as simple as that, people don’t eat cats and dogs 

i think the charges would have been the same if he’d killed his cow/sheep/chicken. Maybe even worse as it would have resulted in a loss of earnings.

I do take your point though that the life of your “part of the family pets” are deemed more worthy than of the animals that people eat and I think it’s as simple as that, people don’t eat cats and dogs 
    Some do. I once went to a large event in Sulawesi, Indonesia and was asked if I had liked the food. One dish that I had particularly liked turned out to be dog.

• La mairie de Strasbourg ne servira plus de foie gras lors de ses réceptions officielles

À la veille de l’ouverture du marché de Noël de Strasbourg, l’association PETA félicite la prise de position de la maire écologiste.

To translate roughly: At the opening of The Christmas market in Strasbourg, the mayor has decided not to include foie gras in official spreads at the town hall in Strasbourg. He is congratulated by FETA for this decision.

This is quite a revolutionary stance that goes greatly against French tradition.