Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would you stay or move for a bigger club?

Not a dilemma that many of us will ever likely face but what would you do if you were in Grealish's position?

I.e you're playing for Charlton as an established mid table premier league side (lol) and you could stay in the hope you could attract other quality players and lead your boyhood club to glory and achieve legendary status a'la Le Tissier.

Or take the big money, guaranteed silverware move to one of the big boys?

Comments

• I'd take the big money, then give the club the last few years of my career once I've earned all the cash I need. 

I think most people who say they'd stay at Charlton would change their mind if the situation was put in front of them, and what it could mean for the family and future etc. 
  • Short career - money and silverware all
    the way for me.
  • It is hard because Villa is his club but all players want to play international football and win honours. I think he has done his time at Villa and should move on.
  • cfgs said:
    It is hard because Villa is his club but all players want to play international football and win honours. I think he has done his time at Villa and should move on.
    Just to clarify the question is what you'd do in same position eg if a Charlton legend in the making 
  • It's a no brainer, you go and be the best you can be.  Your make a fair few quid either way.

With Grealish and Kane it isn't about money is it?  They already earn more than they could ever spend.  It's about playing for the best manager and winning the biggest trophies and as a side effect giving them more chance of winning the world cup as well. 
  • So bored of Man City tbh, but at least it isn't Chelsea. Going there is truly your way of saying you don't give a shit
  • Not a dilemma that many of us will ever likely face but what would you do if you were in Grealish's position?

I.e you're playing for Charlton as an established mid table premier league side (lol) and you could stay in the hope you could attract other quality players and lead your boyhood club to glory and achieve legendary status a'la Le Tissier.

If you’d ask me that question in my 20’s it would all be about doing the best for providing for my family, I’d jump ship being honest, short career and all that. an older head now it would be about quality of life, you’d want medals surely at the end of your career, as well as being paid well.

These guys earn so much what does another 50 or 100k a week get them , maybe a few more lambos and houses is Manchester a desirable place to live these days?

I guess you’ve got zoom so can stay in touch that way with family.

I’m not sure he will join City, they need to blow the cash on a striker to replace Aguero, be it Kane, Haaland or whoever.
  • JG has to maximise his career both in on field success and financially, and I don't blame him or any other player. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a dilemma that many of us will ever likely face but what would you do if you were in Grealish's position?

If you’d ask me that question in my 20’s it would all be about doing the best for providing for my family, I’d jump ship being honest, short career and all that. an older head now it would be about quality of life, you’d want medals surely at the end of your career, as well as being paid well.

These guys earn so much what does another 50 or 100k a week get them , maybe a few more lambos and houses is Manchester a desirable place to live these days?

I guess you’ve got zoom so can stay in touch that way with family.

I’m not sure he will join City, they need to blow the cash on a striker to replace Aguero, be it Kane, Haaland or whoever.
    Fee is agreed and he is up in Manchester at the moment 
  • We’ve had it with Parker I guess, and others, players use us a stepping stone, which will always be the way.
  • If it was the 15-30 years ago era...then

Definitely stay at Charlton. My club...love em to bits.

In this day and age...I would most likely move on, take the money...be proud of the £300m Charlton just made off my back.

Then dash off to Man united or Liverpool.

I wouldn't be interested in playing abroad.

Would be a Spanish or French club if going down that route, but still unlikely.

My way or highway. Better have a good agent 😉
  • You go for the money and the silverware. If the club you support gets a big transfer fee then even better. If there isn’t a transfer fee then that suggests the owner of the club you support was taking the piss one way or another. 
  • Man City Twitter might be the most enraging of all the Twitters mind. You were fucking handed it all on a platter, pipe the fuck down
  • cfgs said:
    It is hard because Villa is his club but all players want to play international football and win honours. I think he has done his time at Villa and should move on.
    Just to clarify the question is what you'd do in same position eg if a Charlton legend in the making 
    Then in his position having played a lot for Villa I would go.  If I had just broken through I would stay and develope so I would not be on the edges at a bigger club.
  • I'd move on, and come back when I'm 35 and past it for a season or two back in the championship
  • I'd sign for Man City for £100m but ensure its only a one year deal

The moment that one year deal is over I'd re-sign for Charlton on a free transfer
    This never actually happens, except when fucking Zaha did it
  • Sponsored links:

• Dunno why people would be overly bothered about moving for the money, trophies I get

e.g. Even if you were on £8k per week here, your take home pay for the year is going to be around £200k

Thats already a shit load more than what I make per year

Surely cant be many Lifers being on that sort of yearly wage at present?
  • I'd take the money, don't think I'd really care about the trophies either

I'd sign the longest, most lucrative deal possible then down tools a few days into training
  • I'd take the money, don't think I'd really care about the trophies either

I'd sign the longest, most lucrative deal possible then down tools a few days into training
    Grounds for dismissal! Not quite that simple is it 
  • I’d stop wearing the silly headband 
  • Dunno why people would be overly bothered about moving for the money, trophies I get

e.g. Even if you were on £8k per week here, your take home pay for the year is going to be around £200k

Thats already a shit load more than what I make per year

Surely cant be many Lifers being on that sort of yearly wage at present?
    It's not just about the individual though is it.......these guys are thinking about setting their kids, grandkids etc up for life also.
  • Leuth said:
    I'd take the money, don't think I'd really care about the trophies either

Bare minimum then

I'd go to the Euros with England and unfurl a "England, Charlton, City" flag when we make the semis
  • Stay. Better to be a big fish in a small pond than a minnow in an ocean.
  • Short career that can be ended at any minute. 

Money (silverware a bonus)
  • Leuth said:
    I'd take the money, don't think I'd really care about the trophies either

Bare minimum then

I'd go to the Euros with England and unfurl a "England, Charlton, City" flag when we make the semis
    Surely you mean "Charlton, England, City"?