Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Aston Villa U21s | Papa John's Trophy | Tuesday 30th November 2021, 7pm | Match Preview

Date: 30th November 2021, 7pm k/o
Competition: Papa John's Trophy 2nd Round
Opposition: Aston Villa U21s

Introduction

The end of a tough week on the road for Jacko's tricky reds which had started with much promise. Thankfully a break from league action gives first team players the chance to get fit and fresh, while we enjoy the respite of a couple of cup games, starting with Aston Villa's u21s on Tuesday night.

Despite finishing second in our group, we get to play at home, as we've drawn an invited u21 side.

Following requests by participating clubs, the EFL have introduced the allowance of 5 substitutes from now on in the competition, due to the heavy schedule. These can only be made during 3 substitution breaks.

The Opposition

Aston Villa u21s have been in fine form in this competition, beating Wycombe, MK Dons and Burton all by 2 goals.

Their u23 side are going well in the Premier League 2 Division 2, finding themselves in third place.

courtesy of Soccerway.com

Cameron Archer is the player to watch out for. With 6 goals so far, he picked up the prestigious Player of the Round award for the group stage. He has also made 3 Premier League appearances this season, and scored 4 goals in 2 League Cup games.

It could work in our favour that Aston Villa face Manchester City on Wednesday night, so they're unlikely to risk any fringe first team players.

Team News

After our flagrant disregard for the rules in the Leyton Orient game, I assume we're not worried about the £5,000 fine incurred.
I also think we will continue with 3-5-2. There is no u23 game scheduled this week, so expect the side to be full of youngsters.

In goal, I expect Harness to keep his place.

At the back, Elerewe and Bakrin should both start. Our injury ravaged back line means that we'll probably see a third youngster at the back, so will look to new recruit Harris O'Connor, Lucas Ness or Charlie Barker.

On the flanks, I expect either crowd favourite Richard Chin or Johl Powell to operate down the right. Clayden didn't appear for the u23s last week, so if he is missing for this one, we could see Charlie Kirk fill in, after his brief cameo in that role at Morecambe.

Jackson has already mentioned Arter being in for this game, so expect him to feature in midfield alongside Morgan. The other place will probably go to Ben Dempsey or Aaron Henry, who scored from the halfway line for the u23s last week. Ben Watson hasn't featured since the Havant cup game, so he could also start this one.

Mason Burstow seems a definite for this one, and I think Davison will start as his playing time will likely decrease in the coming weeks, with Stockley's ban served, and Leko's return from injury. If not, Wassim Aouachria could come in.

My predicted team:

Harness

Barker   Elerewe    Bakrin
Chin                                    Clayden
                     Arter
           Morgan       Henry

Davison    Burstow

Prediction

2-0 defeat to a good young side, and concentration can turn to Friday's big game in the North East.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Great preview again Ben.

Going to be interesting to see the line up for this game.

Be surprised if we're as relaxed with the formation as we were against Leyton Orient.

But then will the likes of Charlie Kirk be kept back for Gateshead, given the two day turn around.

Curious to see how Archer does again - He looked comfortable against Barrow in the League Cup 1st Round and feel he's someone we could take a look at ourselves, if we opted to bring in an U21 Striker from somewhere, rather than worrying about squad registrations etc.
  • Options
    A few players could get a half, especially if you can make 5 subs, the likes of Kirk, Gunter and Leko

Matthews might be ready to feature
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I think the lineup will feature more senior players than that. Jacko will want the win 

Harness

Elerwe
    Gunter
    Soare

CBT
    Arter
    Morgan
    Watson
    Kirk 

Davison
    Burstow 

With subs including Clare, Leko & DJ 
  • Options
    Isn’t that currently our first team? Unless some are du to return soon I’d be surprised if we put that strong a team out.
  • Options
    Always difficult to predict a line up for this game so I'll leave well alone, could be a good game though against a good side, will this be on Charlton TV by any chance. 
  • Options
    Exciting stuff. Another chance for our fringe boys.
  • Options
    Think Leko needs some game time, probably Kirk as well and we may see Stockley as well for that reason. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Always difficult to predict a line up for this game so I'll leave well alone, could be a good game though against a good side, will this be on Charlton TV by any chance. 
    yes for £10
  • Options
    Thanks 👍
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Exciting stuff. Another chance for our fringe boys.
    Exciting was sarcasm in case it was missed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have stopped earting pizza as a silent protest against this nonsense.

(Nice preview by the way) 
  • Options
    Elerewe, Arter, Morgan, Watson, Kirk and Burstow will surely be 6 of the starters. Stockley i think might potentially also start after missing 3 games, even if he only plays a half.

5 subs now so we can bring on some of the kids at half time or 60 minutes if we need to keep some players fresh for Friday night.
  • Options
    Burstow off of Jayden could work nicely

• Options
    Innis got injured after the Crewe game, so 3 months.
  • Options
    With the demise of reserve football, and just U23 to get games for the 18 to 23 fringe players plus a match for returning 1st team players to get back to speed this tournament is more important for the infrastructure of player management than for the fans.

Aston Villa's youngsters have been excellent over the last few years and this crop sound just as good. 

Good preview Ben.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    In no game this Season has Innis been fit. He struggled in every match or part of games he took part in. A real Shame for big Ryan as in League1 he was dangerous when attacking set pieces and a rock when defending set pieces.

In future we need a higher threshold for incoming players and their CV of injuries.
    His contract should have been for a year with a 1 year option if enough games were played because of fitness. Ryan would have failed to get the year option as he was only fit for 13 out of 46 matches.
  • Options
    I agree that Innis wasn't fit in any games he played for us, despite all the guff NA was promoting about a personalised plan, individual training, managing minutes. If we went that strictly by the plan and his injury was not from direct trauma, then the plan bloody injured him!

Last season he was a real menace in everything he did. We've missed that bite in both boxes.
  • Options
    I recall Ryan was out for 2 months. Super Ronnie was the same at that time. I always doubted we would see Ryan before Christmas. Lavelle suggested it would be mid Jan when he returns. No real update on Pearce is a bit concerning to. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stockley will play some part of the game … 
  • Options
    Rumour has it Stockley might play..... 
  • Options
    In no game this Season has Innis been fit. He struggled in every match or part of games he took part in. A real Shame for big Ryan as in League1 he was dangerous when attacking set pieces and a rock when defending set pieces.

In future we need a higher threshold for incoming players and their CV of injuries.
    His contract should have been for a year with a 1 year option if enough games were played because of fitness. Ryan would have failed to get the year option as he was only fit for 13 out of 46 matches.
    In reality if he was completely injury free he would be an high end championship player. When we signed him we were on a wage cap at the end of the transfer window , shopping in the bag basement. You’d like to think we wouldn’t make this type signing again.
  • Options
    What happened to Ryan Innis ? Surely after nearly 3 and a half months off he must be close to being fit ?
    when my mate chatted to him a week or so ago it sounded like he was a little way off yet. Don't think you will see him again in 2021.
  • Options

Charlton striker Jayden Stockley set to feature in EFL Trophy against Aston Villa U21s

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1105967075?-11197:833
  • Options
    Heard Stockley is set to be involved. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Breaking news........

Stockley due to play against Aston Villa U21 in EFL trophy.

• Options
    I think Stockley might get some minutes after his 6 match suspension thanks to Johnson and Deji.
  • Options
    No, if Stockley was going to play, someone on here would have mentioned it