Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mick Everett - retiring at the end of the 2021/22 season (p2)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Similar to Chris Parkes, never had any conversation or dealings with him and in the grand scheme of things only about 1% of football supporters would have any interest at all in who their clubs safety officer (or club secretary) is.

However, the fact Mick is so well known and seems to be very much respected by those who know him is obviously testament to him. Suspect behind the scenes at the club is going to lose a lot of knowledge, experience and gut sense of a fellow fan. 

Good luck for the future. 
    Just to be clear, Mick hasn't been "safety officer" for 25 years. He was initially employed in a completely different capacity, working with fans, and has had a number of roles, but in any event he is a problem solver which is why he has been so valuable to the club. 
    I might be being whooshed, but that’s his role title??

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Similar to Chris Parkes, never had any conversation or dealings with him and in the grand scheme of things only about 1% of football supporters would have any interest at all in who their clubs safety officer (or club secretary) is.

However, the fact Mick is so well known and seems to be very much respected by those who know him is obviously testament to him. Suspect behind the scenes at the club is going to lose a lot of knowledge, experience and gut sense of a fellow fan. 

Just to be clear, Mick hasn't been "safety officer" for 25 years. He was initially employed in a completely different capacity, working with fans, and has had a number of roles, but in any event he is a problem solver which is why he has been so valuable to the club. 

I think he means that he hasn’t been safety officer for all those 25 years - originally he did a different role
  • Options
    He is safety officer now but was Operations Manager and Club Development Manager and possibly had other job titles.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

I think he means that he hasn’t been safety officer for all those 25 years - originally he did a different role
    Ah, ok. Just that that wasn’t relevant to my post that he quoted. Cheers 
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Ah, ok. Just that that wasn’t relevant to my post that he quoted. Cheers 
    The relevance is that you commented that it was unusual for someone in the role of safety officer to be well known to fans, or words to that effect. My point was that he had several other roles, no to mention setting up and running a supporters' club branch before that, which rather offsets your argument. He isn't know exclusively for his final role of safety officer.

I understand that you read it to mean it was 25 years since he had been safety officer.
  • Options
    A true Gent and some one who I have know for a very long time. Enjoy your retirement Mick 
  • Options
    When I made a complaint to the Club after the 'Blindgate affair' during the protests in the Duchatelet/Meire era, Mick was the one who sorted it all out for me, for which I was very grateful.

Good luck Mick, I hope you have a long and happy retirement.
  • Options
    One time my path crossed Mick's.
     Well into the protest years, ROT was started with posters & pictures at the valley main office entrance.
    Mick came out, he had to go through the motions of being 'security' but it was quickly apparent  he was on our side.
    Top man.   Enjoy your well earned retirement Mick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First met Mick when he helped with the start up of the Maidstone Branch in the mid 90s. Was a great help to us on the original branch committee and he continued to be a source of advice whenever we needed it. I remember him leaving Medway Branch to join the employ of the club and remember being really disapointed that the supporters club branches had lost their leading light. Lost touch with him over the years but will wish him all the best in his retirement
  • Options
    Great servant to the club, in so many ways, happy retirement!
  • Options
    Love this fella , top man 
  • Options
    25 years working at the valley would make for a great read in all the Jobs Mick undertook at the club. The good the bad and the ugly scenarios he encountered.

JJ said to me six years ago at Sparrows lane (Slade had just been made manager) that he would write a book on his experiences at Cafc when he leaves. As Johnnie spent 12 years he could reveal a lot but if he takes over at Wimbledon he won't have the time to write the story of the last decade so the Path is clear for Mick to have a best seller in the Charlton Fan base over the last quarter century.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
     Very friendly bloke is Mick, always happy to stop and have a chat with whoever wants to engage, especially if it’s with reference to the Addicks.
    No side to him either, what you see is what you get…..says it like it is.
    We’ve just lost two of the stalwarts that were permanent fixtures in every sense of the word….Mick E & Chris P, gonna be strange not having them around the place.
    They we’re like an old pair of your most comfortable favourite slippers that you can’t perceive you’d ever bring yourself to get rid of. 🫤
  • Options
    I’m sure he will be missed … only had cause to interact with him once, but he was immensely helpful 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Martin Sangaard taking over?
  • Options
    All the best Mick, I spent a few hours in the control tower with Mick whilst working on the fire alarms at The Valley over the years.
  • Options
    I only met Mick once in person. For some reason I was invited to join some kind of PR tour of the Valley in the RD regime. @Henry Irving should remember what it was, he was a bit starstruck introducing Katrien to us ;) Anyway it was just a few weeks into the Bob Peeters regime, and I asked Mick about him in a fairly positive way, in front of the others on the tour. Mick just slightly hesitated, before answering diplomatically. That hesitation spoke volumes. And it was deadly accurate.
    Since then he has quietly assisted various stroppy fan campaigns and investigations of the ESI villains. Right up to this month. 
    Top, top Charlton man.
    Actually @PragueAddick  you and others offered to help in the museum and in return Mick and I showed you and the others the boardroom etc 

While we were in Bartrams KM came down to get some food and Mick and I persuaded her, she wasn't keen, to say hello
  • Options
    Never met him. Not sure why someone who only did his job properly is given so much respect.