Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky Glass TV

Has anyone got one of these,I have just entered into a deal with sky which I am now regretting as the record facility is not available,they use a play list instead.All I want to know is after me watching golf and football all day,can the wife then access the playlist to watch her soaps on the same day,cheers for any guidance.

Comments

• The trouble is with this is if you're internet goes down then you're screwed, our sky internet went off the other night and I thought to myself if we'd had sky glass we'd have been screwed.
  • There is a terrestrial option if your internet goes down. Mine, not that i take much notice, has never gone down.
    I've had this for a few months now. It takes a bit of getting used to but I now prefer it over Sky Q. I dont have the Glass tv as the main tv, I dont think its a good as my others.
    For me the the clincher was I now have 4K on all my Tvs. That includes Apple, netflix, Prime and Disney, (which has Imax enhanced films, if you have the kit to take advantage). All the Sky football is UHD, also a lot of other content is as well. The Sky Q only has 4k through the main box and the apps are not 4k and dont carry Dolby. The other boxes are really not proper HD, they're 720i not 1080i. 
    The lack of recording is a bit of an issue but livable after a while of getting used to play lists, as is the channels that are no longer available, like Talking Pictures, Forces Tv etc but they are free to air if I was really bothered.
  • Feels like the sort of thing to wait a couple of years on to allow the initial issues to be sorted out before jumping in.
  • I've got it, and I quite like it.  The only thing that glass has changed for me is, if I'm watching a film/ what ever,  at night and I want to sleep you can't just press the record button and then pick up where you left off the next day. 

Apart from that its good. TV looks good, picture quality is good and the sound is brilliant. 
  • edited May 2022
    I’ve been holding back on sky glass although am tempted as we’ve got problems with pigeons cooing and pooing ( the sat dish is their new home).

I’ve read Sky are launching a plug in dongle that goes into your Telly (like a plug & play facility) in the autumn, so you also don’t need a dish, so am waiting to see what that comes out like.

I too have concerns about changing to sky glass, are the tellys they provide much cop?

I can understand if you live in a block of flats where sat dishes are not allowed Sky glass sounding like a good thing, but not having tried it I don’t know how reliable it is.
  • There is a terrestrial option if your internet goes down. Mine, not that i take much notice, has never gone down.
    I've had this for a few months now. It takes a bit of getting used to but I now prefer it over Sky Q. I dont have the Glass tv as the main tv, I dont think its a good as my others.
    For me the the clincher was I now have 4K on all my Tvs. That includes Apple, netflix, Prime and Disney, (which has Imax enhanced films, if you have the kit to take advantage). All the Sky football is UHD, also a lot of other content is as well. The Sky Q only has 4k through the main box and the apps are not 4k and dont carry Dolby. The other boxes are really not proper HD, they're 720i not 1080i. 
    The lack of recording is a bit of an issue but livable after a while of getting used to play lists, as is the channels that are no longer available, like Talking Pictures, Forces Tv etc but they are free to air if I was really bothered.
    I think that you may possible need to get out more🙂
  • Shame I’ve lost the Charlton v Doncaster games and the playoff final but I’m sure I can stream it somewhere 
  • No record so I'm out
  • Umming over Glass, will wait till my Sky contract comes up and see what deal I can with them, still leaning towards a UHD TV and a SONOS ray soundbar at the moment 
  • cafc999 said:
    No record so I'm out
    It doesn't record?  really?  blimey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hal1x said:
    There is a terrestrial option if your internet goes down. Mine, not that i take much notice, has never gone down.
    I think that you may possible need to get out more🙂
    There is no need to go out now, I have Sky Glass.  ;)  
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    cafc999 said:
    No record so I'm out
    Think you can only watch from catchup / Iplayer / ITV hub etc so not sure how that works for the lesser channels
  • MrOneLung said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    cafc999 said:
    No record so I'm out
    Think you can only watch from catchup / Iplayer / ITV hub etc so not sure how that works for the lesser channels
    So, presumably, if there's something on there that you like to watch again from time to time (like some old Charlton match for instance) you can't do that?
  • Rothko said:
    Umming over Glass, will wait till my Sky contract comes up and see what deal I can with them, still leaning towards a UHD TV and a SONOS ray soundbar at the moment 
    The reason I got involved with this skyglass business,is my contract was up and my payments went up quite a bit,I called them and the deal they offered was £35.00 less than I was going to pay including the new tv,which I confess I found hard to resist.I suppose I should have checked the capabilities of skyglass first.I dont store programmes for future viewing,its mainly the wife who tolerates me watching golf,cricket etc hours on end  and wants to watch eastenders etc.later.(my present tv is only 18 months old so didnt need replacing)
  • Just an observation but why do you need to record something when it’s going to be available from a library in the cloud
  • _MrDick said:
    Just an observation but why do you need to record something when it’s going to be available from a library in the cloud
    As I said above - is everything going to be held in the cloud e.g. an old Charlton game or a concert of some description? 
  • I have recorded the original Star Trek episodes and Time Tunnel. I wouldn't have a clue how to find them in the cloud. Likewise the Charlton Play Off Final.
  • edited May 2022
    @MuttleyCAFC - Oh I loved Time Tunnel  - and the original Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)!!
  • Can you still pause on Sky Glass?
  • KBslittlesis said:
    Can you still pause on Sky Glass?
    Yes still pause and rewind live tv 
  • Sponsored links:

• @MuttleyCAFC - Oh I loved Time Tunnel  - and the original Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)!!
    And Land of the Giants, Voyage to the bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space and UFO. 
  • Apparently Sky are thinking of allowing you to buy the pucks without Sky Glass. Personally it's not for me, I have Sky Q so get UHD and can record. Second box which is 1080p, which that also supported UHD. 
  • I recently got a new TV and watched so many reviews to help me decide which one to get and the overwhelming view of Sky Glass from the reviewers is it's just not a good TV, admittedly these are the views of AV geeks who are only really interested in the best picture quality etc but they do touch on build quality and sound etc.

This explains it pretty well.

https://youtu.be/ofGQa_EllHg
  • I got it a couple of months ago. Had to return it. Unless your broadband is absolutely top notch it’s going to cause major problems. Great idea and great kit but in this country for most people it’s come three years too soon. 
  • I got it a couple of months ago. Had to return it. Unless your broadband is absolutely top notch it’s going to cause major problems. Great idea and great kit but in this country for most people it’s come three years too soon. 
    They should do a package with virgin broadband…
  • So if we’re still making dinner and the football / rugby/ Grand Prix is starting, we can pause it (if we remember) but can’t record it and then fast forward the replays / injury delays / half time etc? Hmmm. Think I’m out.
  • Am I right in saying that you need minimum broadband speed of about 25mbps for 4k? If so, it’s a waste of time for me as my Sky Broadband struggles at 23mbps because of the dodgy cabling locally! 
  • Am I right in saying that you need minimum broadband speed of about 25mbps for 4k? If so, it’s a waste of time for me as my Sky Broadband struggles at 23mbps because of the dodgy cabling locally! 
    From Tech Digest ...

You need relatively fast BB (there is an Ethernet connection on the back of the set so you can connect a cable directly to your router which will help speed). Sky recommends a minimum download speed of 11Mbps for a single device in high definition, but 30 Mbps for a multi-room set-up. And if you want to watch in 4K then you will need a speed of 25 Mbps for a single device.
  • Glovepup said:
    Apparently Sky are thinking of allowing you to buy the pucks without Sky Glass. Personally it's not for me, I have Sky Q so get UHD and can record. Second box which is 1080p, which that also supported UHD. 
    Are you sure you can get UHD and 1080i on a second box? I’ve not seen this available and on sky’s forums it’s always a bit of a moan that you can only have UHD only on the main box. 

• One of the things I would like to see generally, is a slot for an external hard drive. This would enable you to keep programmes even when you change/upgrade systems.