Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Signing - Jack Payne -Two Year Deal - Confirmed

Charlton Athletic are delighted to confirm the signing of goalscoring midfielder Jack Payne.

The 27-year-old, who netted 13 goals and provided six assists for Swindon Town in League Two last season, has signed a two-year contract with the Addicks following the expiry of his contract with the Robins.

Payne has won promotion from all three EFL divisions and made 28 appearances for Huddersfield Town in 2016/17 as the Terriers earned promotion to the Premier League.

The playmaker, who has 28 goals and 30 assists in League One, becomes the Addicks sixth signing of the summer following the arrivals of Eoghan O’ConnellMandela EgboJoe WollacottConor McGrandles and Steven Sessegnon.

The midfielder explained he was delighted to be reunited with Ben Garner. He said: "I have played under the gaffer before and got on really well with him. I played some of my best football under him and I am just looking to recreate that here. He spoke so highly of the club and it was a massive factor, as well as many other reasons, in me wanting to be here."

Garner said: "It was important to add further creativity to our squad and we have done that successfully with the addition of Jack. He has fantastic technical ability and vision, allowing him to both score and create goals. 

"Just as importantly Jack has the work ethic, character and personality that will really strengthen our dressing room. He is a first class professional who very much fits the culture and environment we want to have."

Owner and CEO Thomas Sandgaard said: “I am really pleased we have been able to sign Jack. He is a midfielder who scores and creates goals, which will really help our attacking threat.”

Born in London, Payne began his career at Southend United. After scoring 17 goals in 88 games across League Two and League One, he signed for Huddersfield in the Championship in 2015. Following 23 games in the Championship he joined Oxford United on loan before loan spells at Blackburn Rovers and Bradford City. After leaving Huddersfield he signed for Lincoln City, before moving to Swindon in 2020.

Comments

• edited July 2022
    Who?!

Edit: na sounds like a good signing. A lot of you part time scouts who seem to know think he's good. Hope it doesn't mean jake is off though.
  • Great signing
  • Excellent. 

Which midfielders are going to leave? They surely can't all stay. 
  • Assuming he’s not played any matches yet this pre-season ?
  • Leuth said:
    Excellent. 

JFC and Morgan (hopefully)
  • Leuth said:
    Excellent. 

Ah, a wrong answer 
  • Who?!

Edit: na sounds like a good signing. A lot of you part time scouts who seem to know think he's good. Hope it doesn't mean jake is off though.
    Happy Jack
  • edited July 2022
    " Are we Swindon in disguise ?" :wink:

Welcome, Jack ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Excellent. 

Ah, a wrong answer 
    It’s pretty evident he’s going to play 4 of them plus one wide player and one striker .  It’s doomed to failure if Stockley is the number 9. 

Looking forward to your reaction when Gilbey starts the season ! 
  • Leuth said:
    Excellent. 

I make it we've got 7 for 3 positions at the moment:

Dobson
    JFC
    McGrandles
    Payne
    Gilbey
    Fraser
    Morgan

So if you want 2 for each position that may mean one leaving? JFC and Gilbey being the ones who've been linked with a move away.
  • " Are we Swindon in disguise ?" :wink:

Welcome, Jack ! 
    I've always disliked Swindon ever since Willie Carson took the piss at half time after we had tried to help them out financially during our promotion season and after some of their mouthy fans gave it the big one after winning the penalty shoot out in the play offs.

I'm delighted we are nicking all their best players and hope we can still nick another couple from them before the season starts!
  • Either JFC or Gilbey leaving, from the noises they've made I'd guess Garners first choice to move on is JFC
  • edited July 2022
    Promising signing, pleased with that.

Leaves a left back & hopefully a striker (with Davison being sold) as the main priorities.
  • Hi Jack

• MrWalker said:
    Hi Jack

Where?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    Promising signing, pleased with that.

Leaves a left back & hopefully a striker (with Davison being sold) as the main priorities.

I think a wide forward is the absolute priority personally, followed by left back. Stockley / Aneke / Davison / Leaburn fighting for 1 position is far healthier than Kirk / DJ / CBT fighting for 2 positions.
  • Os says he's a goal.sciring midfielder so I suppose he's not replacing anyone....😅😅
    Brilliant 
    Genuine lol 🤣
  • Looks like we have players that can deliver a corner now.

Albie was being picked just for having that ability last season.

For those that worried they might see J Williams, you can rest assured now.
  • I said on the other thread that I see Payne as a squad replacement for Eliott Lee rather than JFC ,so I can see a role for both in the squad.I saw Mcgrandles as a new option for Watson.

Personally I am happy with this signing and see him as a rotation option with Fraser which is a good thing .Personally I would rather Gilbey or Morgan move on if we need to create some space in the squad.
  • edited July 2022
    A few on here wanted Louis Reed, but 'I'd Rather Jack' 🎶 😎

Includes the line 'No heavy metal rock and roll music from the past, I'd rather Jack'

Thomas Sandgaard.. can you hear me!
  • swordfish said:
    A few on here wanted Louis Reed, but 'I'd Rather Jack' 🎶 😎
    Not a perfect day then!!!😬😬😬
  • Os says he's a goal scoring midfielder so I suppose he's not replacing anyone....😅😅

goalscoring midfielder 🤔

That must be a Cafc oxymoron.
  • Os says he's a goal scoring midfielder so I suppose he's not replacing anyone....😅😅

goalscoring midfielder 🤔

That must be a Cafc oxymoron.
    Probably a typo, might have meant "own goalscoring mildfielder"
  • Good signing  - welcome Jack.