Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton squad out of contract for next season - who to keep?

Comments

• Options
    Keep Small.

Keep Dobbo if you can persuade him but I am certain he is gone.

Keep Bakinson and Thomas if they are very cheap for squad cover but not bothered on either.

Keep Ness if cheap and loan him out, but not bothered if he leaves.

Washington and LuaLua too early to call.

No to Hector, Camara, Ward, Payne + DJ.

Don't know enough about Chin.
    Chin was brilliant when we beat Brighton. Otherwise ok - third choice left wing back cover would be acceptable. 
  • Options
    edited March 18
    JamesSeed said:
    Keep Small.

Keep Dobbo if you can persuade him but I am certain he is gone.

Keep Bakinson and Thomas if they are very cheap for squad cover but not bothered on either.

Keep Ness if cheap and loan him out, but not bothered if he leaves.

Washington and LuaLua too early to call.

No to Hector, Camara, Ward, Payne + DJ.

Don't know enough about Chin.
    Chin was brilliant when we beat Brighton. Otherwise ok - third choice left wing back cover would be acceptable. 

You are probably correct but if he is going to be 3rd choice he should leave to futher his career elsewhere if he can get a decent move.
  • Options
    Chin I wouldn't be surprised to get a National League deal. 
  • Options
    I don’t think we should be loaning Ness out, he’s at the age now he needs to be either part of the squad or let go, especially as we have a couple of highly rated CB’s younger than him. 

If we’re playing a back 3, I’d say we need one new one to be compete with Jones, REG and Gillesphey. 2 out of Ness, Hector and Thomas to complete the numbers so one of them should go but 2 of them should be offered a year IMO. 

Dobson is gone but I’d obviously want him to stay. We need a real overhaul in CM because so many are on loan and we’ve then got so many out on loan. We need two first teamers to go with Coventry but I’d be happy to offer Bakinson a contract if we lose Dobson. I don’t think Camara is worth the risk unfortunately. 

Small is a no brainer. 

No comment on Wickham yet. Yes he’s picked up a knock already but he hadn’t played in a long time and was rushed straight in so I’ll give him a pass on that. He’s got a few weeks to demonstrate what he can offer and if he can stay fit, might be worth a year. 

Payne, DJ and Chin will be released. 

• Options
    Bakinson is an odd one, he doesn’t seem to do anything wrong, but not especially affect games either.
    I wouldn’t sign him ahead of leaving a space for a youngster to come through.
  • Options
    Mitchell has great promise but is too young, and occupies the kind of position where you don’t become the finished article overnight.
    Many here would (rightly in my opinion) keep Terell Thomas, yet he was a youngster we let go, that tells us something.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Agreed. He's had 2 NLS loans this season. A good player at that level, but that's 3 divisions below L1, and he's not a kid anymore. Sadly time to move on.
  • Options
    I do feel a bit bad for Ness. He had a good first half season and he should have spent this season developing more. The second season is hard for young players when expectation hits and instead of him being protected he was shoved to the front of everything at the start of the season and asked to be a key player in a new formation that we didn't have the players for with no consideration for the fact he'd missed the back end of the season with a bad knee injury.

He started off the season in a back three with a semi-fit Jones and Thomas despite the fact he'd spent most of the previous season building a partnership with Hector who couldn't get a game this time round. Ness was asked to play centrally in a three, which is usually a space reserved for the more experienced and positionally competent CB but can be used to hide the least capable CB and Jones was pushed to RCB which does not suit him at all. Two games in Holden panicked, threw away the plan they'd spent pre-season working on and paired Ness in a two with the struggling Jones alongside an unfit Edun at LB and an 18 year old at RB. He was then dropped for Port Vale and brought back in the next game against Oxford in a three again but alongside Jones and Elewere and asked to play in the RCB spot, and found himself hauled off at half time. He then proceeded to never start for Appleton in the league until he was needed in the mandated switch to 3atb in January. Appleton started him twice and dropped him when he got REG and Gillesphey in. He played twice for Fleming when Lloyd Jones went full kamikaze and needed to be dropped and hasn't started once for Nathan Jones. Along the way he played in our League Cup defeat against Newport, our 1-1 Cray Valley debacle where he scored an own goal, the slightly less depressing replay and the abject Gillingham loss. What an absolutely horrible season for a young player in his first full season in the first team squad, it's no wonder his confidence has completely drained away. He's not played well when he has had his opportunities but he could have been so much better handled by the club and we've turned a potentially promising player into one who looks like he's constantly in danger of drilling the ball into his own net more than stopping opposition attackers. It's come at a bad time for him in terms of his contract; if he had a year left I think it would be worth keeping him and trying to rebuild him through loans and coaching but given how badly he's regressed it's probably best just to let him go, which is a real waste
  • Options
    Tyreece Campbell is also out of contract, I think we will offer him one and therefore get some compensation but I think it’s likely he rejects us 
  • Options
    Keep Small, Dobbo is leaving anyway

Let the others go.

TT is a difficult one because in my view he is an iffy defender with zero ability to distribute and he causes an occasional panic, so although the stats might disagree, I don’t think he is anywhere near good enough.

As suggested elsewhere, NJ needs support to start the process of renewal as soon as.

• Options
    I have strong opinions on this, but what is the Board’s objective, year 2 of a gradual build or going all out for promotion? If the former, you keep the likes of TT and Hector. If the latter, you let go the players who cannot deliver consistent quality, game focus etc. Hector was guilty of switching off on several occasions earlier this season and like Hector, TT is a hugely likeable person and does his best, but am I sat at every home or away game believing the opposition’s front line is going to be in his pocket, simply put, no - I am hoping that he will not make one or two mistakes which could cost us? If we are all out going for promotion, we need stronger and more consistent players.

And before anybody says, of course the Board are going for x,y,z, I have learnt a lot from knowing another club’s co-owner. That club’s plan and objectives could really p*ss off most of their fanbase if they knew it loud and clear, but when you hear on the vision and strategy over 3-5 years and the reasons why chasing promotion this season may not be in the club’s longer term interests, you suddenly see the bigger picture and more immediate risks. I won’t/can’t disclose who that other club is, but just saying I now understand better than I used to do and am top levels football hungry as an individual/fan.

• Options
    Keep Small and Thomas ( for his versatility)
    Dobbo is off . Shame about Camara who has talent but sadly picks up more than his fair share of injuries so not worth a risk.
    Not bothered if any of the others go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have zero ambivalence about Dobson.
    I suggest from hearing all the talk that Andy Scott is a poor judge if he thought Dobson was dispensable.
    Now Scott has got us into this situation I think he has three choices. 
    Offer Dobson a proper contract and he stays.
    If Dobson leaves you sign a better player as a credible alternative and talisman. Coventry isn’t that, or at least not yet.
    If Dobson goes because his contract is up, and blimmin Backinson is supposed to be his replacement, then Scott should resign and get a job bullshitting Millwall or Crystal Palace.

• Options
    edited March 18

And who to bring in? some out of contract players include the following:

Christian Walton, Connor Ogilvie, Stephen Humphreys, Marcus McGuane, Herbie Kane, Joe Powell, Femi Azeez, JCH, Devante Cole, Nicky Cadden and Josh Sims.
  • Options
    Not itk but I suspect we’re going to see some serious (for league one) investment in the team. I have a feeling we’re in for an exciting summer window.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Think he might end up in Malaysia which could let him kick on and get a different life experience. 
  • Options
    Thierry Small,   YES
    Tyreeq Bakinson (his Wednesday contract expires this summer),  NO 
    Connor Wickham, NO
    Michael Hector,  NO
    Panutche Camara (his Ipswich contract expires this summer),  NO 
    Terell Thomas,  MAYBE but not on improved terms
    Lewis Ward, WHO?
    Lucas Ness,  NO
    George Dobson,  YES
    Jack Payne, NO
    Diallang Jaiyesimi, NO
    Richard Chin. NO

Who would you keep on for next season's promotion/play-off push?

Bearing in mind we already have 21 players contracted already for next season with Fraser NO, Mitchell NO, Henry NO and McGrandles FFS NO!! coming back
  • Options
    edited March 18
    Thierry Small, YES
    Tyreeq Bakinson  NO
    Connor Wickham, MAYBE
    Michael Hector, NO
    Panutche Camara NO
    Terell Thomas, NO
    Lewis Ward, NO 
    Lucas Ness,NO
    George Dobson, NO
    Jack Payne, NO
    Diallang Jaiyesimi, NO
    Richard Chin. NO
  • Options
    Sorry to go off topic to check in with the owners plans and whatever NJ has agreed to, if there is an 8-8-8, list that means a 24 man full squad.

So if 8 are from the under 21's, and then sets of 8 squad (average league 1) and 8 premium players, how many and who fits into the two later lists.

• Options
    Keep small
  • Options
    Sorry to go off topic to check in with the owners plans and whatever NJ has agreed to, if there is an 8-8-8, list that means a 24 man full squad.

So if 8 are from the under 21's, and then sets of 8 squad (average league 1) and 8 premium players, how many and who fits into the two later lists.

Small and May are probably the only two I'd definitely put in the premium class right now, Dobson would be but I think he's gone. A fit Leaburn would be, Coventry probably will be but needs more time. Aneke (and maybe Camara too) is of that class but too unreliable to be counted on.

Near enough everybody else currently fits more or less the "average" class though not to say they are all equally good of course - Anderson is better than Bakinson but maybe not yet quite good enough consistently enough to be premium/elite.
  • Options
    edited March 18
    Thomas has been keeping Lloyd and Hector out of the team so it would appear that Jones rates him highly. I don't think he's just assessing him to see if he wants to keep him either as he's started him in some very significant games and he's not bothered to do the same with Hector. It's not just down to Thomas but we've substantially improved under Jones and Thomas has looked good when he's played, he's versatile and athletic and while his distribution is erratic he doesn't typically have a big mistake in him like Jones, Hector, Ness and even Gillesphey do. Next season we'll have REG, Gillesphey and Lloyd but I really don't see us spending the money on three new CBs if we can hold onto a versatile and capable one in Thomas
    I'm not sure Thomas has been keeping Lloyd out of the team, L. Jones has been managing injections and not yet fit to play, according to N. Jones' last interview.

But he's certainly been keeping Hector out, which makes sense as he's more reliable.