Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfers

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
I must admit with the sale of Gray i was hoping for a bit of movement this week, what with Parkys post match interview.
I feel after a terrific start that we are definately 1 centre back short 2 would be my preference.
A wide player, what has happen to small? and striker. Now i realise 4 in would be a big move by a club in the middle of a takeover but i dont see these players as extras but musts.

Come on Charlton let show we mean business to get out of this division we dont need to spend fortunes bolstering a wafer squad.

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]

A Wade player, what has happen to Small? .......

Good question!
  • edited August 2009
    i agree , we have to strike while the iron is hot ....
    do it from our position of relative strength in the league while we can, not when we have too
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]

A Wade player, what has happen to Small? .......[/quote]

Good question![/quote]

must've gone. Can't say I'm unhappy, was pants at Hereford and that was his chance. Didn't play yesterday so I reckon he's gone. Need 2 CH, a wide left player and a decent striker, then we'd be sorted. Dickson or Fleets to go, maybe both, but hopefully the former.
  • Small was mentioned in the Walsall programme, but wasn't on the back on the squad list. Seems he must have a lot to do if he wants a longer contract here.
  • I was expecting the Gray sale to be the start of some action too - I thought by now we'd have seen the completion of a couple of transfers (out as well as in) that have maybe been on hold. Parky's comments suggest he thought so too.

I am still optimistic there'll be some deals this week.

If nothing else we have to get a centre half in soon, but at least we can get loans in from mid-September (and then make them permanent possibly?) so the transfer deadline isn't as final as it is in the PL.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I was expecting the Gray sale to be the start of some action too - I thought by now we'd have seen the completion of a couple of transfers (out as well as in) that have maybe been on hold. Parky's comments suggest he thought so too.

I am still optimistic there'll be some deals this week.

If nothing else we have to get a centre half in soon, but at least we can get loans in from mid-September (and then make them permanent possibly?) so the transfer deadline isn't as final as it is in the PL.

NOT FECKING LOANS AGAIN !!! Unless we can get someone like Ward on a long-term loan then no thanks. Short term loans are a waste of time and benefit the player only and too many loans causes problems. Get a squad, get them united and we'll be ok.
  • edited August 2009
    but I think you can convert a loan to permanent ie. it can be a loophole round the rules.

Even if you can't we have to get in at least one centre half by hook or by crook.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]butI thinkyou can convert a loan to permanent ie. it can be a loophole round the rules.

Even if you can't we have to get in at least one centre half by hook or by crook.

that is true
  • I just have a feeling the next few days will be very busy and will hopefully give a further lift to our excellent start.
  • A full on goal scorer too. Burton is good and has done well however do sometimes feel he gives up allot when we are only 1 goal or 2 goals up we need strickers who want to score more goals even ewhen we are 5-0 up with 5 mins left. Would luv to have a free flowing goal score who after scopring three goals does not sit back but pushes for more and more for example Jermaine Beckford at Leeds.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]I just have a feeling the next few days will be very busy and will hopefully give a further lift to our excellent start.
    Well so many people have had this feeling that all i want is our new signing to have this feeling things are taking off but we flippin got one yet
  • NO Takeover before Transfer Window closing will mean Loans sadly which as we all know are not ideal.

Think we are a centre half & centre forward away from being a genuine challenge for promotion this season.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]NO Takeover before Transfer Window closing will mean Loans sadly which as we all know are not ideal.

[/quote]

Not necessarily, we can sign free agents.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]NO Takeover before Transfer Window closing will mean Loans sadly which as we all know are not ideal.

Not necessarily, we can sign free agents.

Sadly we have missed out on Sol Campbell :-(
  • Sadly we have missed out on Sol Campbell :-(

And Michael Owen, I blame a complete lack of ambition by the board.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Sadly we have missed out on Sol Campbell :-(

And Michael Owen, I blame a complete lack of ambition by the board.

Don't worry, Franny Jeffers is available!
  • Yep, Franny Jeffers, Michael Owen and Sol Campbell, with Sven as Director of Football. If only we'd moved sooner.
  • Loan signings are ok as long as you get the right players on loan. It's nothing to do with the fact that it's a 'loan' that doesn't make it work; if the player is crap, whether they're on loan or have a long-term deal is a bit irrelevant. Hence last season why loans like Ward and to a less extent Kandol worked, but others like Butterfield/Gillespie didn't.
  • If we get a player on loan for the full season, with option to buy - then surely that's incentive for the player to earn a full contract eventually - and a reasonably solid base for team building.

Anyway, if what Ketters says is true, then there really isn't much practical choice.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]

Don't worry, Franny Jeffers is available!
    Not a free agent, he's still at Wednesday, they've just lsted him.
  • Sponsored links:

• What is Sam Sodje's position?

Is he a free agent?
  • Does Beckford have a younger brother we could sign ?

Or even an older one....
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]What is Sam Sodje's position?
    Centre back
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]What is Sam Sodje's position?
    Centre back

:-)

There's always one!
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]What is Sam Sodje's position?
    Centre back

:-)

There's always one!

Well, you did ask for it, Len ... ha ha
  • Loans work when used sparingly and when they are of a long term nature. 1 month deals are an utter waste in my opinion.

We seem to be cutting it SO fine, unless the negotiations are being done in readiness for a multi-faceted deal announcement? New ownership, players in, players out....

For me, we need at least one centre half, a left sided midfielder, a target man up front and a nippy goalscorer. I think the outs should be Dickson, Moutouakil and Fleetwood on loan. Not should be because I don't rate any of them, but clearly there are either issues or a bit of condifence lacking in all of these players and we've too lean a squad to carry players 'out of favour'.

My choice of ins would be Kandol, Jackson, Fortune and Vela (on a season long loan from Arsenal).
  • [cite]Posted By: Pavo[/cite]Loans work when used sparingly and when they are of a long term nature. 1 month deals are an utter waste in my opinion.

We seem to be cutting it SO fine, unless the negotiations are being done in readiness for a multi-faceted deal announcement? New ownership, players in, players out....

For me, we need at least one centre half, a left sided midfielder, a target man up front and a nippy goalscorer. I think the outs should be Dickson, Moutouakil and Fleetwood on loan. Not should be because I don't rate any of them, but clearly there are either issues or a bit of condifence lacking in all of these players and we've too lean a squad to carry players 'out of favour'.

My choice of ins would be Kandol, Jackson, Fortune and Vela (on a season long loan from Arsenal).

Whilst I admire your optimism, if you really believe that we have even a sniff of signing Vela on loan I'll have some of whatever you have been smoking.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]What is Sam Sodje's position?

Is he a free agent?

free agent but big injury concerns.
  • I am not certain but pretty sure that the funds have been freed up for players, even if the Takeover is still being ironed out. My guess is that players have already been identified, may well have been approached a while ago, maybe even fees agreed and personal terms discussed. Now it's a case of medicals and getting them finalised. I am an optimist but thats my view.
  • That would be my take on the situation, bingaddick. The best case scenario at this late stage of the window.