Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton squad out of contract for next season - who to keep?

Comments

• Options
    Thierry Small - keep
    Tyreeq Bakinson - offer a short term deal
    Connor Wickham - let go 
    Michael Hector / Terell Thomas - offer one of these two a short term deal
    Panutche Camara - let go
    Lewis Ward - offer a short term deal (his value isn’t in his first team contributions)
    Lucas Ness - let go, needs regular senior minutes, low ceiling
    George Dobson - let go
    Jack Payne - let go
    Diallang Jaiyesimi - let go
    Richard Chin - let go, needs regular senior minutes, low ceiling
    100% agree
  • Options
    Thierry Small - Easily keep, been a good signing so far
    Tyreeq Bakinson - Keep depending on wages
    Connor Wickham - Let go
    Michael Hector - Let go 
    Panutche Camara - Let go
    Terell Thomas - Keep, I wasn't his biggest fan earlier in the season but he's a good squad player to have around. I'd be worried if he was starting every game.
    Lewis Ward - Don't know or mind either way. 
    Lucas Ness - Let go
    George Dobson - He's already gone but would obviously keep
    Jack Payne - Let go, not good enough
    Diallang Jaiyesimi - Let go, not good enough. The night he signed we all thought we were getting a world beater. 
    Richard Chin - Sorry to say but let go
  • Options
    I wonder what features of Bakinson’s play people like.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Scoring at Cheltenham and centering for Chuck's header at Exeter, are enough for me!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Scoring at Cheltenham and centering for Chuck's header at Exeter, are enough for me!
    I think it was his flick against Exeter that Alfie should have put away as well
  • Options
    edited April 3
    I would like in an ideal world.

Thierry Small,               Keep 
    Tyreeq Bakinson                                  unsure          
    Connor Wickham,        Keep (if fit)
    Michael Hector,            Keep
    Panutche Camara        Keep (if fit)
    Terell Thomas,             Keep      
    Lewis Ward,                                                          Release/sell
    Lucas Ness,                 Keep
    George Dobson,          Keep (if at all Poss)   
    Jack Payne,                                                          Release/sell
    Diallang Jaiyesimi,                                                Release/sell
    Richard Chin.                                                        Release/sell
    Connor McGrandles                                              Release/sell
    Aaron Henry                                                          Release/sell
    Scott Fraser                                      Unsure
    Zach Mitchell               Keep
    A M-B                                                                     Release/sell
    Harry Isted                  Keep
    Lloyd Jones                                        Unsure
    Tayo Edun                                                              Release/sell
    Tennai Watson                                                        Release/sell
    MacCauley Gillesphey  Keep
    Nathan Asiimwe                                                      Release/sell
    Rarmani Edmunds-Green   Keep
    Kayne Ramsey              Keep
    Terry Taylor                                          Unsure
    Tyreece Campbell         Keep
    Karoy Anderson            Keep
    Connor Coventry           Keep
    Kazenga LuaLua           Keep
    Alfie May                       Keep 
    Miles Leaburn               Keep (if we can)
    Chuks Aneke                Keep
    Daniel Kanu                  Keep (if we can)

20 (or 17)                  3                 10
    Loaners    (release all (except Camara if pos)
    Freddie Ladapo             
    Lewis Fiorini
    Louie Watson
    Panutche Camara

Shopping list Keeper/ Central Mid (replace Dobbo) / Striker(s) if we need to replace Kanu or Leaburn / Winger.

Squad about 25.

• Options
    For those that are suggesting that we should keep Connor Wickham, at the age of 31 and with 67 starts plus 52 sub appearances in 11 years (so an average of 11 appearances a season) and an average of less than two goals a season over the course of the last ten years to his name, he is exactly the type of player we have been signing and found to our cost that they simply aren't worth the risk.  
    This is the type of player that we can do without. 
    All loans returned.
    Contracts that expire 30/June/2024 let them all go.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Bakinson is an odd one, he doesn’t seem to do anything wrong, but not especially affect games either.
    I wouldn’t sign him ahead of leaving a space for a youngster to come through.
    He’s scored, and he gets into scoring positions in every game. And that with not playing many minutes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do feel a bit bad for Ness. He had a good first half season and he should have spent this season developing more. The second season is hard for young players when expectation hits and instead of him being protected he was shoved to the front of everything at the start of the season and asked to be a key player in a new formation that we didn't have the players for with no consideration for the fact he'd missed the back end of the season with a bad knee injury.

He started off the season in a back three with a semi-fit Jones and Thomas despite the fact he'd spent most of the previous season building a partnership with Hector who couldn't get a game this time round. Ness was asked to play centrally in a three, which is usually a space reserved for the more experienced and positionally competent CB but can be used to hide the least capable CB and Jones was pushed to RCB which does not suit him at all. Two games in Holden panicked, threw away the plan they'd spent pre-season working on and paired Ness in a two with the struggling Jones alongside an unfit Edun at LB and an 18 year old at RB. He was then dropped for Port Vale and brought back in the next game against Oxford in a three again but alongside Jones and Elewere and asked to play in the RCB spot, and found himself hauled off at half time. He then proceeded to never start for Appleton in the league until he was needed in the mandated switch to 3atb in January. Appleton started him twice and dropped him when he got REG and Gillesphey in. He played twice for Fleming when Lloyd Jones went full kamikaze and needed to be dropped and hasn't started once for Nathan Jones. Along the way he played in our League Cup defeat against Newport, our 1-1 Cray Valley debacle where he scored an own goal, the slightly less depressing replay and the abject Gillingham loss. What an absolutely horrible season for a young player in his first full season in the first team squad, it's no wonder his confidence has completely drained away. He's not played well when he has had his opportunities but he could have been so much better handled by the club and we've turned a potentially promising player into one who looks like he's constantly in danger of drilling the ball into his own net more than stopping opposition attackers. It's come at a bad time for him in terms of his contract; if he had a year left I think it would be worth keeping him and trying to rebuild him through loans and coaching but given how badly he's regressed it's probably best just to let him go, which is a real waste
    That’s a very good post, but I do think Ness has looked quite decent in his last four or five appearances, (I’m not including Stevenage), definitely better than in the earlier difficult run that you described. 
    But unless he gets some starts he won’t have a chance to prove himself, so I suspect he’ll be let go. 
    It’s a shame, and he could turn out to be one of those players we regret not hanging on to. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I do feel a bit bad for Ness. He had a good first half season and he should have spent this season developing more. The second season is hard for young players when expectation hits and instead of him being protected he was shoved to the front of everything at the start of the season and asked to be a key player in a new formation that we didn't have the players for with no consideration for the fact he'd missed the back end of the season with a bad knee injury.

He started off the season in a back three with a semi-fit Jones and Thomas despite the fact he'd spent most of the previous season building a partnership with Hector who couldn't get a game this time round. Ness was asked to play centrally in a three, which is usually a space reserved for the more experienced and positionally competent CB but can be used to hide the least capable CB and Jones was pushed to RCB which does not suit him at all. Two games in Holden panicked, threw away the plan they'd spent pre-season working on and paired Ness in a two with the struggling Jones alongside an unfit Edun at LB and an 18 year old at RB. He was then dropped for Port Vale and brought back in the next game against Oxford in a three again but alongside Jones and Elewere and asked to play in the RCB spot, and found himself hauled off at half time. He then proceeded to never start for Appleton in the league until he was needed in the mandated switch to 3atb in January. Appleton started him twice and dropped him when he got REG and Gillesphey in. He played twice for Fleming when Lloyd Jones went full kamikaze and needed to be dropped and hasn't started once for Nathan Jones. Along the way he played in our League Cup defeat against Newport, our 1-1 Cray Valley debacle where he scored an own goal, the slightly less depressing replay and the abject Gillingham loss. What an absolutely horrible season for a young player in his first full season in the first team squad, it's no wonder his confidence has completely drained away. He's not played well when he has had his opportunities but he could have been so much better handled by the club and we've turned a potentially promising player into one who looks like he's constantly in danger of drilling the ball into his own net more than stopping opposition attackers. It's come at a bad time for him in terms of his contract; if he had a year left I think it would be worth keeping him and trying to rebuild him through loans and coaching but given how badly he's regressed it's probably best just to let him go, which is a real waste
    That’s a very good post, but I do think Ness has looked quite decent in his last four or five appearances, (I’m not including Stevenage), definitely better than in the earlier difficult run that you described. 
    But unless he gets some starts he won’t have a chance to prove himself, so I suspect he’ll be let go. 
    It’s a shame, and he could turn out to be one of those players we regret not hanging on to. 
    Playing for Notts County in the premier league 2029-30. Nailed on. 
  • Options
    Thierry Small, - keep 
    Tyreeq Bakinson (his Wednesday contract expires this summer), - let go. We need better. 
    Connor Wickham, - let go. Injured after 20 mins
    Michael Hector, - - keep. Give him a year
    Panutche Camara (his Ipswich contract expires this summer), - let go. Injury prone
    Terell Thomas, - let go. We need better if we want to be promoted. 
    Lewis Ward, - let go
    Lucas Ness, - keep. Young. We know how good he can be. Season hampered by injuries 
    George Dobson, - keep. Have to
    Jack Payne, - let go. Found his level
    Diallang Jaiyesimi, - let go. Found his level
    Richard Chin. - let go. Can’t get a loan above Conference South. Is injured
  • Options
    Keep Small 100%

Keep dobbo if it doesn’t cost more than a fair contract for him, mad that we’re in the position we’re in but he isn’t worth breaking the bank for. 

That’s about it. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think he's made a difference from the bench lately, he's definitely got one eye on a contract for next season. Just wish sometimes Jones would give him a start or at least bring him on slightly earlier.
  • Options
    Bakinson has had some truly abysmal games when starting. He's a disruptor - yes, a Pratley - but if you want to control a game and dominate the opposition he'll be busy giving them the ball
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    seth plum said:
    I think he's made a difference from the bench lately, he's definitely got one eye on a contract for next season. Just wish sometimes Jones would give him a start or at least bring him on slightly earlier.
    Maybe jones has already made his mind up
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Bakinson has had some truly abysmal games when starting. He's a disruptor - yes, a Pratley - but if you want to control a game and dominate the opposition he'll be busy giving them the ball
    Bit harsh I think. But either way I would probably be inclined to keep Bakinson even if only as that wild card/disruptor option off the bench. 

If you're up against a team that has some nice momentum and pressure starting to build then an element of chaos can be helpful to dispel that and that's where Bakinson has value IMO.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Leuth said:
    Bit harsh I think. But either way I would probably be inclined to keep Bakinson even if only as that wild card/disruptor option off the bench. 

If you're up against a team that has some nice momentum and pressure starting to build then an element of chaos can be helpful to dispel that and that's where Bakinson has value IMO.
    I don't dispute that! He's a decent bench option, clearly
  • Options
    Barkinson is not the answer for a side wanting to play progressive, promotion winning football
    We have better already and I'd like to actually see Terry Taylor on the field, fit and firing rather than him and if TT can't do that, then somebody else
    Dobson will go as it would be crazy to buy him back, but I do think TT, Coventry, Anderson + 1 other will hopefully be enough to help get us promoted next year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has Taylor shown anything to justify a place in the side?

Was injured but appearently now fit and hasn't got near the pitch under Jones.

Too similar to Coventry, another player yet to live up to his billing.
  • Options

How can you decide all of that about him in less than 300 minutes of football, and we haven't seen him kick a ball in anger since the end of September.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

How can you decide all of that about him in less than 300 minutes of football, and we haven't seen him kick a ball in anger since the end of September.
    I can't hence why i asked "has Taylor shown anything to justify a place in the side?"

Jones hasn't even put him on the bench IIRC
  • Options
    Taylor at least deserves a chance to show what he can do. Hasn't been consistently fit since he signed. Currently got him pegged as at least squad cover for next season 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

ow can you decide all of that about him in less than 300 minutes of football, and we haven't seen him kick a ball in anger since the end of September.
    I can't hence why i asked "has Taylor shown anything to justify a place in the side?"

Jones hasn't even put him on the bench IIRC
    A fair point. The only real argument I could think was that if Jones has a particular liking for high intensity, energetic football then trying to ease someone back in gently is tricky, he'd be expected to go from 0 to 70 in seconds (metaphorically) and possibly that would be risky given the nature of his injury.

Alternatively Jones has either seen enough in training to decide to either keep him or get rid already, or possibly has decided that he needs a proper preaseason to run the rule.

It's possible that Taylor is on the out list but as a younger,  well thought of player with decent passing and apparently decent at set pieces on paper he'd be precisely the kind of player Jones would want more of.
  • Options
    If a player isn't making it to the bench when match fit, the manager isn't currently rating him. 

We don't need 'to see what he can do' if the manager has decided he's seen enough for himself. 
  • Options
    Is Taylor fully match fit ? I’m guessing he’s not being rushed into contention because we don’t need to do that. A fit ending to the season and a full pre season and perhaps we’ll see what all the fuss was when we signed him. 
  • Options
    I don't feel qualified to say who should go. From what I've seen this season, thankfully not much, no one's got me thinking they're a class apart and most seem average at best. Happy to trust Jones to do the trimming and, where he identifies that replacements are needed, to find better.
  • Options
    I'm sure I heard that Taylor wasn't going to be risked this season after being brought back too early previously and badly injured not long after. I guess we'll see, it's always hard for players to get a foothold after missing an entire season and being two managerial changes on from when they signed so it's possible he'll just move on without us ever really getting to see what he can do