Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Cambridge Utd vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 13th April 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    A terrible game, I don't think I've ever seen so many passes hoofed way up in the air, not even in non league. Jones and Monk I'm sure hated the football out there, but it's the time of season where style goes out of the window when relegation is a threat.

I always find this kind of comment funny.

Are you saying that the pretty football doesn’t get results but ’hoofball’ more reliably does?

I’m all for doing whatever it takes to get as many points as possible. 

If 'dated’ (to quote @Athletico Charlton ) football means less risky passing it around the back and getting it forward as fast as possible then I’m all for it. With our current form we’d be in the top 6. Isn’t that the be all and end all?
  • Options
    edited April 14
    May, kanu, Leaburn, Aneke and wickham should be more than enough fire power to fill the front two positions in a promotion chasing team. We also have two very good wing backs in Small and Ramsay. The focus needs to be on a creative 10, a better keeper, 2 centre backs to play with REG and a CM to replace dobbo if he goes.
    Agree, but would add a creative attacking midfielder too. One that can attack and go past defenders with skill and pace, get assists, chip in with a few goals. The kind of player we thought we were getting with Scott Fraser.

Edit: Just noticed you'd already mentioned a creative AM  :# In which case, totally agree.
  • Options
    I can’t wait for the season where we are finally back up there competing for promotion and doing the double over most of these. Had enough of the fans of Cambridge, Burton, Morecambe, Port Vale and all the other chuff we keep dropping points to.

It’s going to be so satisfying when we are in a place where we’re beating these by 2 or 3 home and away.
    Is what you're on available over the counter?
  • Options
    A terrible game, I don't think I've ever seen so many passes hoofed way up in the air, not even in non league. Jones and Monk I'm sure hated the football out there, but it's the time of season where style goes out of the window when relegation is a threat.

I always find this kind of comment funny.

Are you saying that the pretty football doesn’t get results but ’hoofball’ more reliably does?

I’m all for doing whatever it takes to get as many points as possible. 

If 'dated’ (to quote @Athletico Charlton ) football means less risky passing it around the back and getting it forward as fast as possible then I’m all for it. With our current form we’d be in the top 6. Isn’t that the be all and end all?
    There is more than one way to skin a cat. We have to trust Jones' judgment and not tell him how we think we should be playing. If we could chip in with a few more goals from midfield and defence we would end up winning far more than we draw given that we currently have discovered how not to lose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hadn't seen it before, very poor from Isted for their goal. That's too many points dropped from his individual errors now. 
  • Options
    edited April 14
    Listened to NJ on Charlton Live this morning. Sounds as though he knows who he wants and who he doesn't, I can see quite a few being shipped out, and I think it'll happen as soon as the season ends!
  • Options
    Listened to NJ on Charlton Live this morning. Sounds as though he knows who he wants and who he doesn't, I can see quite a few being shipped out, and I think it'll happen as soon as the season ends!
    Interesting to read @Airman Brown's view on the annual accounts that have just published. 

Up to the end of March this year (so includes SE7 Partners January transfer window) we haven't spent more than we received on transfer dealings. 

Make of that what you will but to me its doesn't look like we will be going down the Wrexham route regarding recruitment. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    ross1 said:
    I'm his after game interview, Wickham discussed what 'WE' will be doing at Charlton next season. Sounds like he has already been offered a contract 

He was a big reason we were on top in that first half. We need a player like him up top next season 
    We can't give him a contract. It would be such a huge mistake. Jones said he wants a smaller squad and we already have Chuks to manage. Wickham always struggles with injuries and fitness. I'd be so pissed off if we signed him.

Aright he looks handy when he comes on, but we need consistency and someone who can do the full stretch of the season. He would be a very poor signing imo.
    Do we know his actual medical record?
    Because there’s a big difference between a player who is crocked, and one who has been unlucky with injuries.
    If fit he’s exactly what we need. His finish was what we’ve been lacking all season from whoever is partnering May. And his hold up play is very good.
    I’d have to trust the back room staff to make the decision based on medical evidence, rather than fan talk. 
    And Nathan Jones is no mug. If he thinks, based on evidence, that he doesn’t have a dodgy knee or something, then I’ll back his judgement all day long. 
  • Options
    Interesting to read @Airman Brown's view on the annual accounts that have just published. 

Up to the end of March this year (so includes SE7 Partners January transfer window) we haven't spent more than we received on transfer dealings. 

Make of that what you will but to me its doesn't look like we will be going down the Wrexham route regarding recruitment. 
    Im not going to second guess, but it could be they were not prepared to during the January transfer window. I would imagine in the summer window we will move players on and if we can get some money all well and good. NJ has already said the squad is too big, so we will be getting rid. It could be we offload 8 or 9 and just bring in 4 or 5? Hence saving wages, or allowing us to bring in a smaller number of better quality.
    I just wish, at times, you weren't so negative about everything. Wrexham will have to stay within the EFL spending rules the same as everyone else. To be honest I'm glad the new owners haven't spent more than we have brought in when Appleton was the manager, it would've been a waste of money and loaded us with more debt. It must be tiring to be so negative about everything. Why not let these 2 games finish, and start worrying about next season, when and if, there is something to worry about? You maybe pleasantly surprised!

• Options
    Wrexham have an inordinate amount of income from the Disney thing though i thought. Its easier to stay in your budget if your budget is £1m a week larger than everyone elses (so im told)
  • Options
    edited April 14

Sheff Wed hardly spent any money on transfer fees two season ago and went up, Famewo one of the few, for about £50k IIRC. More than one way to do it, and who's to say they won't change direction anyway? They have the money to should they wish to, and if they don't, perhaps they're expecting to keep losing money for no good reason. Yes, I'm sure they're all complete idiots, successful business in football usually are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PWR

After watching yesterday’s hoofball, I couldn’t help but wonder if John Beck had been doing the coaching this week?
  • Options
    Not having the Coventry bashing for their goal. If this is being “caught wrong side” then I don’t know what to tell you…

He’s absolutely on the right side when the pass is played. It took a bit of skill and muscle to get past him and even then, he muscles his way back in to make sure the forward has to turn back away from goal.

At that point, whatever led up to that, Coventry has done his job. The ball is forced loose and is up for grabs. Thomas has to be more aggressive as the big centre back and whack it clear. No idea why TT is being so passive - he had a couple of opportunities and didn’t take either of them.

Not a great look for Hector to be turning but, like Coventry, far from the worst offence I’ve ever seen.

And then Isted has to save that. It bounced in front of him which makes it more difficult  than if it had gone straight along the ground but even so…
    Yes of course Coventry was on the right side when the ball was played.
    I meant he let their smallish player roll him/push him aside, to get goal side of him (ie he was then caught wrong side).
  • Options
    Not having the Coventry bashing for their goal. If this is being “caught wrong side” then I don’t know what to tell you…

He’s absolutely on the right side when the pass is played. It took a bit of skill and muscle to get past him and even then, he muscles his way back in to make sure the forward has to turn back away from goal.

At that point, whatever led up to that, Coventry has done his job. The ball is forced loose and is up for grabs. Thomas has to be more aggressive as the big centre back and whack it clear. No idea why TT is being so passive - he had a couple of opportunities and didn’t take either of them.

Not a great look for Hector to be turning but, like Coventry, far from the worst offence I’ve ever seen.

And then Isted has to save that. It bounced in front of him which makes it more difficult  than if it had gone straight along the ground but even so…
    I meant he let their smallish player roll him/push him aside, to get goal side of him (ie he was then caught wrong side).
    Curbs & Brownie also thought he could've done better in that duel. 
  • Options

Get to Royston at 6.18, busy platform awaiting the 6.25, a few hastily grabbed beers on station and we repeated the first class carriage trick and ended up with the same table. Arrive at Kings X just gone 7 and straight in pub opposite for a couple. Said goodbyes and home about 9.15.

Long old day for what’s basically an 80 minute drive but a great day out with good company. One of those bizarre ones where despite us having 1,500, outside of the ground I didn’t see no more than half a dozen other Charlton fans the whole day. 

Think we’ll swerve Wycombe after doing last year so that’s our aways done for the season. If we strip out Cray Valley PM I think that’s 6 aways this season for us, 0 wins. Jnr’s last and only away win was Reading 2019. He’s been coming away with me since 2018/19 season so that’s 6 seasons now and only 1 away win. 

Painful, yet he seems to love it, being with my mates, going in pubs and the whole away day thing and it gives me great pleasure seeing him enjoy as a young teenager what I was doing as a teenager. I drill into him supporting a club like Charlton on the road is never about winning games, it’s the experiences and the company, being with pals, having a laugh, making new acquaintances and a feeling of togetherness etc. Seeing the amount of U25s following us despite how shit we’ve been last few years is great to see. 

Would be nice to win a few more though…
    You managed "a few beers" in 7 minutes?  I take my hat off to you....
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Curbs & Brownie also thought he could've done better in that duel. 
    I'm not surprised he was obviously at fault to start.
    Then Thomas should have cleared.
    Hector could have blocked if he'd dived in, but chose to turn away and get out of the way.
    Isted was the worst of the lot & definitely should have saved.
  • Options
    The problem with Hector is I think he is looking good now. 
  • Options
    edited April 14

I’d expect future transfer expenditure to be covered by a fee for Leaburn in due course and potentially Kanu or Anderson if they progress, so the point is moot. If Leaburn had stayed fit he wouldn’t be here next season or possibly this.

The main shareholders would be plain daft to sit in L1 losing £7m-£10m a year whatever fairy stories they were told about revenue opportunities. Stockport at home, anyone?
  • Options
    The problem with Hector is I think he is looking good now. 
    Steady. You're not allowed to mention problems with Hector, or you'll have the Hector Police down on you!