Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Britain's best beach

LINK: news.bbc.co.uk

I was there on Valentine's Day in the glorious sunshine, not a cloud all day - had a great day out and have to agree that it is a beautiful beach.

Anyway which is your favourite beach in the UK?

Comments

• Holkham Beach , Norfolk
  • UK has to be Polzeath and Wollocombe, excellant surfing.

Worldwide - Whitehaven is glorious.
  • The best ones are all in Scotland - we've got more than there's room to list- and yes, the sun does shine too.
  • Stamford had a good one a few years ago!!
  • Mine would be Seagrove Bay on the Isle of Wight, mainly because it's just up the lane from my dad's house. It's perfect on a quiet winter day with the sun shining. New Year's Day was perfect and there were loads of people strolling along, enjoying the fresh air. Has fab views across to the mainland and you can watch the big cruise ships coming in and out of Southampton. This is what the Isle of Wight Beach Guide said:

"This beach will remind you of holidays from days gone by. The beach is gently sloping and has clear waters. There is a café and toilet facilities and rocks for the children to explore. Parking facilities at Seagrove are not good and access will have to be from Seaview Village on foot. However, once there, you will have a very enjoyable day and this area is a good place to spot the occasional celebrity, attracted to the quiet beach and exclusive properties and hotels."

I have however never seen a celebrity there!
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]UK has to be Polzeath and Wollocombe, excellant surfing.

Large - I would pay good money to watch you on a surf board!!
    (No offence intended BTW).
  • Blackpool sands in Devon is probably the best beach I've been too.
  • Polzeath. IS that the one where John Betjamin is buried in the Church in the dunes. Love that beach. Also Littlehamton West beach and Old Hunstanton
  • houndapitt farm
    sandymouth bay near bude in cornwall is lush
    stayed on this farm in the squirrel's lodge and its a short walk down to the beach down a country lane. we took bikes and cycled down there and surfed some mornings too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]UK has to be Polzeath and Wollocombe, excellant surfing.

Large - I would pay good money to watch you on a surf board!!
    (No offence intended BTW).

none taken !! I really meant in my younger days. You'd have to feel sorry for the surfboard nowaday's.
  • Sponsored links:

• thing is the Uk has many many excellant beaches and if you could guarantee the weather they'd be no need to go abroad. Saying that it's also too costly here !
  • Leysdown, no question
  • ... and closer to home what is your favourite beach of Kent/Essex/Sussex

The one we usually go to once a year is Botany Bay nr Westgate - lovely sandy beach when the tide is over half in and when it is out it is great for exploring all the rock pools etc.

Never seen it like this though !!
  • Southend on Sea, locked on! Pursits may say it's the seaside town that forgot to close down, but it really is the Talk of the South!
  • Joss bay in Kent
  • here's a more typical picture:
  • Broadstairs is good and old fashioned and I hear that Ledge Knows now lives at the seaside. Carshalton Beaches I think.

I was thinking of Trebetherick/Rock where Betjemin is buried.
  • edited February 2007
    Found this too, "Britain's best views":

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2151009.stm
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Found this too, "Britain's best views":

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2151009.stm

Hmmm dunno about that , i'd go to the Windmill or Majingos for the best views
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Broadstairs is good and old fashioned and I hear that Ledge Knows now lives at the seaside. Carshalton Beaches I think.

I was thinking of Trebetherick/Rock where Betjemin is buried.

I that the one when you walk along the cliffs from Polzeath to Rock and there's a church near Daymar Bay ? Going there in September so may pop in for a look.
  • Sponsored links:

• Plenty of good Cornish beaches: Perranporth for sheer size.

Locally agree with Kingsgate. Not a beach but St Margaret's Bay reminds me of the Med on a hot, sunny day.
  • That's the one Large. The church (St Enoc's I think) is half buried in the dunes. Nothing spectacular as a beach but flat and sandy, a great big hill and nice views. Last time I went there was just a hut selling lollies and a lav. What more can you ask for. Would love to stay there for a weekend or longer but too bloody expensive. Going to Old Hunstantion this Easter so looking forward to some long walks followed by warm beer.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]That's the one Large. The church (St Enoc's I think) is half buried in the dunes. Nothing spectacular as a beach but flat and sandy, a great big hill and nice views. Last time I went there was just a hut selling lollies and a lav. What more can you ask for. Would love to stay there for a weekend or longer but too bloody expensive. Going to Old Hunstantion this Easter so looking forward to some long walks followed by warm beer.

quite a climb over that hill (!) to the Rock - Padstow ferry, much easier when the tides out. Staying in a lovely cottage at St Kew. 3 bedrooms, sleeps five and at £450 for the week it's pretty good value that way. Church might be St Endoc's.
  • Woolacombe Bay and Saunton Sands - both North Devon
  • wells-next-the-sea.

took us forever to get to the sea from the harbour.
  • Got a cottage in North Cornwall - Port Gaverne (Port Isaac) - for the week at Whit for £350.
    Next door to a great little pub, and the beach (just about a beach!) and cliffs etc. - great spot and cheap. 5 mins walk into Port Gaverne, not far from Rock etc.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Woolacombe Bay and Saunton Sands - both North Devon

Add to that Croyde Bay and Putsborough Beach...God's own Country (When the sun shines)
  • edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: PeakeysRocket[/cite]wells-next-the-sea.

took us forever to get to the sea from the harbour.

I used to spend my summers there in my youth. My auntie had a caravan. Best Fish n Chip shop in the world on the harbour...
  • They have some funny saints in Cornwall!

Stayed in Padstow in Rick Stein's hotel before he was a TV star. Fantastic breakfast.

I guess £450/£350 isn't too bad for a week but cos my son is at school we have to go during peak times. Wife's sister has a flat at Old Hunstanton so that is very cheap!

Anyone got a cottage in Cornwall they want to lend to a Charlton fan for free?