Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Wishlist 2024

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Looking back at his Luton squad from 2018/19, only 13 starts (out of a possible 506: 46 times 11) were given to a single loan player - Jorge Grant. 

Other loan players made between two and five appearances off the bench.

Fair to say NJ doesn’t like using them.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Looking back at his Luton squad from 2018/19, only 13 starts (out of a possible 506: 46 times 11) were given to a single loan player - Jorge Grant. 

Other loan players made between two and five appearances off the bench.

Fair to say NJ doesn’t like using them.
    Thats a name I'd forgotten, had that one decent season with Lincoln and never really followed it up
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    BFG released by PNE.   
    Not played much, doubt any better than what we have so no thanks 

Sadly because of what he did for us in the past , that's exactly where I am with Bauer. He's had way too many injuries and a lack of regular football in the last 2 seasons. Not someone I'd have on my list of targets. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Again, great to hear this.
    I just hope Jones’ transfer policy is shared by the owners and the SMT. 
  • Options
    So he knows his numbers, I wonder if he also knows the personnel and has made contact? From recent comments added to those he made yesterday, I can see lots of movement happening 'early doors' and him having his squad ready well before pre-season, with the opportunity to add just 1 or 2 before the window closes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 21
    Foolishly I’m quite positive. In a very small sample, I feel both Small & Ramsey are a step up to both Edun/Watson. Continuing improvements in each area and we should back challenging the top 6.

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Despite sticking with them I’m thinking we might see Hector and Thomas both go as it’ll free up room for new CBs. We have a lot of players under contract and I wouldn’t see either stepping up to the Championship if we’re promoted. Yes Hector’s played well there before but there’s a reason he’s playing in L1.
    We do have a lot of players under contract. Unloading their contracts is going to be difficult.  Someone will take a chance on the likes of Fraser, Lloyd jones and Gillesphry given their pedigree (probably on a free or minimum transfer fee) but not so sure about the rest.  I have a feeling given Jones comments that the owners have told him that they willing to spend big this summer but that will be a one time occurrence with smaller transfer budgets thereafter,  But there has to be a limit to even that spend and some of these existing contracts are going to be a real limiting factor
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Fits in with what I’m expecting. Jones was given assurances on his budget and control on transfers before he signed up. Where Scott sits in all this is to be seen. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Fits in with what I’m expecting. Jones was given assurances on his budget and control on transfers before he signed up. Where Scott sits in all this is to be seen. 
    Scott still has about 17 other responsibilities. He isn’t just a transfers man.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    BFG released by PNE.   
    Will go back home to Germany 

• Options
    I remain optimistic for the summer , purely because I don't think Jones would have taken the job without the promise of significant investment. The loans thing I don't really see as too much of a surprise although I do think it will be difficult to try and get by without at least 3 good quality loan players regardless. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wont be surprised if Edun goes, or he's played as a Central Midfielder like from his Lincoln days.

He's got that versatility that may see him staying around, especially as he's been involved of late
  • Options
    Wont be surprised if Edun goes, or he's played as a Central Midfielder like from his Lincoln days.

He's got that versatility that may see him staying around, especially as he's been involved of late
    Still under contract isn’t he?
  • Options

Still under contract isn’t he?

Yeah year left. 
  • Options
    edited April 24
    Reckon we could do with 8-10 new players but suspect it will be more like 6.

Hope we move on Edun, Isted, Fraser, McGrandles and don't renew Hector or Thomas or any of the loanees.  No idea on Taylor but with him not even making the bench I suspect they will try to move him on too.  
    In an ideal world we move on Aneke and it allows us to take a punt on Wickham whilst still having space for another forward.
    I wouldn't be disappointed if any of Jones, Gillesphy and Watson left but suspect that won't be possible and would likely mean too much change anyway.  If we can get some money for one and reinvest it well it wouldn't be a bad thing.
  • Options
    edited April 24
    sam3110 said:
    Pie in the sky time and based on what Methven and Jones have said recently, I think a squad of:

New GK, Isted/AMB 
    Ramsay, Watson, Asiimwe, Edun, Small, New WB
    New CB, New CB, Gillesphey, Jones, REG, Ness
    Coventry, New CM, Taylor, Anderson, New AM
    May, Leaburn, Aneke, Kanu, Wickham

Doesn't look far off what the club wants, with the 8-8-8 rule covering:

Academy/Youngsters 
    AMB, Ness, Small, Asiimwe, Anderson, Kanu, Leaburn, New CB

Good Hands
    Watson, Ramsay, Edun, Gillesphey, Jones, Taylor, Wickham, REG

"Elite"
    Aneke, May, Coventry, New GK, New CB, New WB, New CM, New AM

In an ideal world we'd maybe try to find better than Wickham and Coventry and they don't sign/move to "good hands" respectively and we sign mostly elite players, but that's a tall ask
    I don’t see us having 6 wing backs for 2 positions, 4 or 5 is the right number there. That could be used to give us another CM/AM. If we move to a diamond 6 we’ll probably want 7 or 8 (including DMs).

Jones talked a while ago about a squad of 25 including 3 GKs, so Ward might stay as third choice.

I’m hoping we find better than Wickham. Hoping Wickham, Chuks and Leaburn stay fit is too much of a risk for me. I know some have said Wickham is meant to be over his injury problems, but we don’t know that’s the case if he ends up having to regularly start games if the other two continue picking up injuries.

I’m expecting us to promote a few academy players too meaning we won’t make quite as many signings as we’d like.
  • Options
    edited April 24
    Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    Pie in the sky time and based on what Methven and Jones have said recently, I think a squad of:

New GK, Isted/AMB 
    Ramsay, Watson, Asiimwe, Edun, Small, New WB
    New CB, New CB, Gillesphey, Jones, REG, Ness
    Coventry, New CM, Taylor, Anderson, New AM
    May, Leaburn, Aneke, Kanu, Wickham

Doesn't look far off what the club wants, with the 8-8-8 rule covering:

Academy/Youngsters 
    AMB, Ness, Small, Asiimwe, Anderson, Kanu, Leaburn, New CB

Good Hands
    Watson, Ramsay, Edun, Gillesphey, Jones, Taylor, Wickham, REG

"Elite"
    Aneke, May, Coventry, New GK, New CB, New WB, New CM, New AM

In an ideal world we'd maybe try to find better than Wickham and Coventry and they don't sign/move to "good hands" respectively and we sign mostly elite players, but that's a tall ask
    I don’t see us having 6 wing backs for 2 positions, 4 or 5 is the right number there. That could be used to give us another CM/AM. If we move to a diamond 6 we’ll probably want 7 or 8 (including DMs).

Jones talked a while ago about a squad of 25 including 3 GKs, so Ward might stay as third choice.

I’m hoping we find better than Wickham. Hoping Wickham, Chuks and Leaburn stay fit is too much of a risk for me. I know some have said Wickham is meant to be over his injury problems, but we don’t know that’s the case if he ends up having to regularly start games if the other two continue picking up injuries.

I’m expecting us to promote a few academy players too meaning we won’t make quite as many signings as we’d like.
    Plus that has only come from Wickham, who of course would say that. The guy hasn't played more than a 25-game season since 2014. 
  • Options
    A lot of attention on Lukas Jensen the Lincoln goalkeeper who’s been very impressive this season. 

But I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re not also closely monitoring Luke Southwood at Cheltenham.

Ever present for them the last two seasons, had interest from Ipswich last summer and just won their player of the year.

Four names to keep an eye on IMO: Jensen (Lincoln), Southwood (Cheltenham), Walton (Ipswich) and Sinisalo (Exeter, on loan from Villa)
    I tried to find out Sinisalo’s contract situation at Villa but all I came up with was he signed a new deal two years ago but didn’t say the length of it.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    A lot of attention on Lukas Jensen the Lincoln goalkeeper who’s been very impressive this season. 

But I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re not also closely monitoring Luke Southwood at Cheltenham.

Ever present for them the last two seasons, had interest from Ipswich last summer and just won their player of the year.

Four names to keep an eye on IMO: Jensen (Lincoln), Southwood (Cheltenham), Walton (Ipswich) and Sinisalo (Exeter, on loan from Villa)
    I tried to find out Sinisalo’s contract situation at Villa but all I came up with was he signed a new deal two years ago but didn’t say the length of it.
    If you believe transfermarkt, his Villa contract expires June 2025.

I don’t know what Villa’s financial fair play situation is but he’s not getting starts there ahead of Emi Martinez in the next 3-4 years at least so they might be open to getting a fee for him with a sell-on or buy-back clause included…
  • Options

PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    TEL said:
    I'm expecting a complete revamp of our centre halves. When Jones was interviewed, he said that three coaches could not all be inept at defensive coaching and said its personnel. 

He had Small and Ramsay on the pitch who are technically his players. The three centre halves that played have all had issues all season. Ness out of favour now completely so I'm expecting wholesale changes in this area. Gillesphey we are stuck with. However Hector and Thomas are out of contract. I'd be surprised if either get offered a contract unless it's as back up to new incoming cb's.

So much deadwood to get rid of though. It may restrict Jones getting who he wants due to the squad being so big. 

Taylor ( has he been in a Jones squad at all?) McGrandles, Fraser all need to be moved on. The loans sent back .

It has to be a huge churn otherwise it's going to be another mid table season at best.

First signing for me would be Dobson. Coventry isn't fit to lace George's boots and doesn't even play the role George dominates in.  
    Having a laugh … Coventry is a huge up grade on Dobson and will be playing championship football sooner rather then later hopefully with is .. Taylor won’t go he will be back up to Coventry having signed 3 year contract .. if Dobson changes his mind and accepts the offer on the table and he buys himself out of his contract .. is the only way he will stay .
    Do you actually watch the matches? As in Charlton matches?

Coventry has yet to play a full season for any club, that's despite him being 24 years old. Also, we haven't seen anything in his game that suggests he's Championship quality. So what exactly are you looking at?
    Watch every game …….
    Great, you'll be able to answer this question. What part of Coventry's game is better than Dobson's?
    All especially passing .. Dobson at his level now hence the reason he not received a single offer from any other British club we had to fight championship sides to sign Coventry .. Coventry is the future build the side around him and hopefully we will join him in the championship 
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you are on your own here.

I'm 100% confident Jones would pick Dobson over Coventry for the DM position.