Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Swisdom said:
    se9addick said:
    He’s going to wake up one day and realise he’s wasted his career. He’s the opposite of Bonne in many ways. I’m astonished Bonne has made a career as a professional footballer despite having no real talent or attributes. Taylor has wasted the talent and attributes he has and not achieved nearly as much as he could of. 
    Has he wasted it?  Realistically he was a bit of a journeyman player who had a great spell with us and then went off and earned a couple of million at Nottingham Forest meaning he probably doesn't need to work again for a while.
    BUT he's opinionated and pretty erudite so I fully expect him to be on Talksport in the future winding people up and generating calls and income for them.
    If all he wanted from football was money, then you'd have to say he didn't waste his career.

I'm sure some footballers want a little bit more than that. Like to be remembered with at least an ounce of fondness.
    I think that's a more philosophical question though ? it's about ability though IMO, If iwas a league 1 player i would constantly be looking for the best deal as the fans wont pay my kids needs 10 years after i retire. However if i was premier league player i can afford the luxury of being revered.
    Being remembered with an ounce of fondness is a luxury...? Can't agree with that. We've had plenty of players move on to better pastures who would be welcomed back on Charlton TV for instance. All you have to do is not be a snake. 
    100% its a luxury, if he did break his leg in the matches after Covid and never played again were you going to feed his kids ? I doubt it. I understand why he did what he did but that doesn't mean I like. Lyle Taylor (just like Chris Solly, yet he seems to get a pass. I know he wasnt playing but its still the same principle) did what was right for Lyle Taylor and if i was in his position and I played for a team (or worked for a company) I didnt care about id do the same and so would 99% of people here for a life changing move, id also understand why fans (or people who worked for that business who think i left them in the lurch)  would dislike me but id have to take it on the chin.
    Solly gets a pass because he gave us many years, he wasn't a match winner, he wasn't playing regularly at the time and he had been told he wasn't getting renewed.  Very different scenario from Lyle
    Sure that's why Solly gets a pass. Lyle Taylor fired us to the championship then turned his back on us, we don't like him because of it but I don't understand why people cant understand why did it.

I can understand them not playing the games after their contracts were up but the cockroaches refused to play games they were contracted for 
    We were in unorecedented waters and nobody knew how it was going to pan out.  Solly had been told he was surplus to requirements.  If your employer told you that would you honestly have given 100% as we went into Covid.  Solly had a very young family at the time so why should he risk anything.

No difference to Taylor then ? He had a family, why should he risk it ? he knew he wasn't going to be here next year. He knew we werent going to match the offers from other teams. As said I think we all know why Solly gets a pass and Taylor doesn't if we are all honest, Solly is seen as one of the good ol boys and "one of us". 
    Completely different to Taylor, he didn’t have kids when he was with us
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Swisdom said:
    se9addick said:
    He’s going to wake up one day and realise he’s wasted his career. He’s the opposite of Bonne in many ways. I’m astonished Bonne has made a career as a professional footballer despite having no real talent or attributes. Taylor has wasted the talent and attributes he has and not achieved nearly as much as he could of. 
    Has he wasted it?  Realistically he was a bit of a journeyman player who had a great spell with us and then went off and earned a couple of million at Nottingham Forest meaning he probably doesn't need to work again for a while.
    BUT he's opinionated and pretty erudite so I fully expect him to be on Talksport in the future winding people up and generating calls and income for them.
    If all he wanted from football was money, then you'd have to say he didn't waste his career.

I'm sure some footballers want a little bit more than that. Like to be remembered with at least an ounce of fondness.
    I think that's a more philosophical question though ? it's about ability though IMO, If iwas a league 1 player i would constantly be looking for the best deal as the fans wont pay my kids needs 10 years after i retire. However if i was premier league player i can afford the luxury of being revered.
    Being remembered with an ounce of fondness is a luxury...? Can't agree with that. We've had plenty of players move on to better pastures who would be welcomed back on Charlton TV for instance. All you have to do is not be a snake. 
    100% its a luxury, if he did break his leg in the matches after Covid and never played again were you going to feed his kids ? I doubt it. I understand why he did what he did but that doesn't mean I like. Lyle Taylor (just like Chris Solly, yet he seems to get a pass. I know he wasnt playing but its still the same principle) did what was right for Lyle Taylor and if i was in his position and I played for a team (or worked for a company) I didnt care about id do the same and so would 99% of people here for a life changing move, id also understand why fans (or people who worked for that business who think i left them in the lurch)  would dislike me but id have to take it on the chin.
    I honestly really, really struggle to understand any Charlton fan who can empathise with Lyle Taylor's actions. It's one thing to know that money has sucked the soul out of the game and it's another support the worst parts of those changes. When your star player can refuse to play in your relegation battle because he's worried he might break a leg before his next big increase? People start supporting that type of behaviour and saying it's OK, and I have to wonder how much worse football can get...

Whos supporting ? read what i actually wrote not what you wish i wrote. I specifically state that I dont support just that i can understand it in the circumstances.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Swisdom said:
    se9addick said:
    Agree with this. Honestly can’t see him doing his coaching badges after he finishes and will be happy picking up a few pay cheques for spouting off on whatever platform will have him. I won’t be listening. 
    GB news probably.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Swisdom said:
    se9addick said:

A) Lyle didn’t have kids at the time 
    b) solly played 301 games, giving his all. He had 2 (from memory) bad injuries with us. I would say he was at high risk of injury and getting an injury during those games would have finished him. 
    C) the snake only had to play and then get his move to big school. Even if we went down and he left, the attitude towards him by the majority of Charlton fans would be completely different.
    Ok change kids with parents and its still the same. So Solly wasn't a benefit to the squad that season from the bench. Taylor is a snake but we all know why fans let Solly have a pass
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Swisdom said:
    se9addick said:

I honestly really, really struggle to understand any Charlton fan who can empathise with Lyle Taylor's actions. It's one thing to know that money has sucked the soul out of the game and it's another support the worst parts of those changes. When your star player can refuse to play in your relegation battle because he's worried he might break a leg before his next big increase? People start supporting that type of behaviour and saying it's OK, and I have to wonder how much worse football can get...

Whos supporting ? read what i actually wrote not what you wish i wrote. I specifically state that I dont support just that i can understand it in the circumstances.
    "100% its a luxury, if he did break his leg in the matches after Covid and never played again were you going to feed his kids ? I doubt it. I understand why he did what he did" 

"He did what was right for Lyle Taylor and if i was in his position and I played for a team (or worked for a company) I didnt care about id do the same"

At best you're treading a fine line between support/understanding. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Swisdom said:
    se9addick said:

"100% its a luxury, if he did break his leg in the matches after Covid and never played again were you going to feed his kids ? I doubt it. I understand why he did what he did" 

"He did what was right for Lyle Taylor and if i was in his position and I played for a team (or worked for a company) I didnt care about id do the same"

There's a huge gap between supporting and understanding.
  • Options
    edited April 24
    Reportedly on around 6k to around 20k will turn heads as a life changing move.  I bet he got also received a significant rise for the Forest promotion to the Premier League.
    All old ground but I'm with @Radostanradical, what he did was wrong but I understand why he did it.
  • Options
    Harry Arter does not receive much criticism here and he's not budging on his Forest contract, and barely kicking a ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So imagine it is 2020 again. Lyle 6 months on his contract, not renewing as he has a life changing offer from Forest.  Only difference is that COVID never happens. 

Would he have continued to play to the end of the season then?  There would have been just the same chance of injury.  Why did COVID change that?  It was just a convenient excuse wasn't it?

I know why he chose what he chose, doesn't make it right.  Hundreds of players run their contracts down each season and play hard through to the very last game. He didn't because he is a gutless prick. That's all 
    Which is also why I don't accept Solly downing tools either. There were definitely games where he could have come in and done a job in those 9 games, whether starting or from the bench. Maybe if he'd been come off the bench, Jude Bellingham might not have created the late goal which cost us 2 points and was just as costly as the chances missed because Taylor wasn't there.

Besides wasn't Solly club captain at the time, so would have had an important leadership role in the dressing room.
  • Options
    So imagine it is 2020 again. Lyle 6 months on his contract, not renewing as he has a life changing offer from Forest.  Only difference is that COVID never happens. 

Would he have continued to play to the end of the season then?  There would have been just the same chance of injury.  Why did COVID change that?  It was just a convenient excuse wasn't it?

I know why he chose what he chose, doesn't make it right.  Hundreds of players run their contracts down each season and play hard through to the very last game. He didn't because he is a gutless prick. That's all 
    Is Solly gutless to then ?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Swisdom said:
    se9addick said:

Ok, defending. 
  • Options
    edited April 24
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Swisdom said:
    se9addick said:

The thing is, where does it all end?
    Let’s just take this to the extreme example…….just supposing Forest had tapped-up Taylor at the beginning of that season and said we are going to sign you for next season at the end of this season when your contract expires.
    He could have said right I’m not playing for Charlton at all, maybe even trained with Forest to keep fit into the bargain.
    As I say, it’s an extreme example of what (following his line of action/thinking), could happen with I assume little or no recourse.
    So, where could this all end up if players are prepared to pull the plug whenever they choose!
    By the way……as a side issue, who amongst us thinks there’s some mileage in the thought that Taylor feigned injury to avoid playing us in the knowledge that he was going to get 1400 away Addicks giving him absolute dogs abuse.
    My take is that the snake simply bottled it. 🪱
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Swisdom said:
    se9addick said:

Ok, defending. 
    How is it defending when i say he was in the wrong, make it make sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When in the public eye, perhaps it is best to keep your thoughts to yourself even though your viewpoint may be valid.
  • Options

A fair question.  Solly had a history of bad injuries which had already limited his career so that is a different set of facts in that regard. 
    In reality I never really understood why he did what he did. He didn't have a contract to protect at another club (ended up in non league); would likely not have played again for us anyway as Bowyer had clearly moved on from him.  He didn't really need to make a decision. 
    It was such an odd choice by him and never coming out and explaining it was, and remains, strange to me.
    He was a Charlton legend in my opinion, one club man, local lad through the academy who gave his knees for the club as said above and would have always been welcome back plus likely been employed by us after his career. He has blown all of that.  I am more forgiving of him given his background but wouldn't particularly welcome him back working for us in the future.
  • Options
    How things has changed from starting big school for Taylor. Got a feeling he will call it quits in the summer. Not sure he will want the effort of having to trial at League 2/Non-league clubs in the summer.
  • Options
    You reap what you sow.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Swisdom said:
    se9addick said:

I assume you'd understand if nurses and doctors refused to work in the pandemic then?  

It makes me wanna weep when I think of the risks those people took on our behalf.  Perhaps soldiers should duck out of troubled areas or firemen stop attending fires?   I mean, these are dangerous tasks with a real risk of injury or worse.  I assume they do it out of a sense of duty, honour and commitment to their public, their team members and to themselves.   

Lyle Taylor was asked to play a couple of games of football ffs - as he was contracted to do - as he was more than handsomely rewarded to do.  The chances of serious injury? Negligible.  

Lyle Taylor may have a smart line in old chat, but thankfully he doesn't fool too many people.

What an utterly bizarre view of things you have ? We are talking about a footballer who refused to play because the season have extended beyond its normal course. Ok i'll play along in this fantasy, yes i would understand if they refused to do their job, who wouldnt you just named all the threats they face ? thankfully nurses, doctors and fire brigade rarely refuse to work.

He hasnt fooled me either ive just applied my own thoughts and can understand why he did it however I dont agree with them.

Before i head out on a run are there any more hypothetical scenarios you would like to compare how about knights slaying dragons ? Avengers fighting Thanos ? Santa refusing to work ?  
  • Options

A fair question.  Solly had a history of bad injuries which had already limited his career so that is a different set of facts in that regard. 
    In reality I never really understood why he did what he did. He didn't have a contract to protect at another club (ended up in non league); would likely not have played again for us anyway as Bowyer had clearly moved on from him.  He didn't really need to make a decision. 
    It was such an odd choice by him and never coming out and explaining it was, and remains, strange to me.
    He was a Charlton legend in my opinion, one club man, local lad through the academy who gave his knees for the club as said above and would have always been welcome back plus likely been employed by us after his career. He has blown all of that.  I am more forgiving of him given his background but wouldn't particularly welcome him back working for us in the future.
    A fair summary of the events surrounding Solly, though using that logic applied (which i agree is correct) if one removed any bias from the situation one could reasonably see why Taylor had a greater incentive to refuse to play compared to Solly ?
  • Options
    Harry Arter does not receive much criticism here and he's not budging on his Forest contract, and barely kicking a ball.
    One of the reasons for that is…..Harry Arter doesn’t play for us