Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

shelvey yesterday

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
Anyone else at the game yesterday notice Johnjo having a "strop" when substituted ?

He showed is true age when he obviously didn't want to go and slowly trooped off, head down and did not even turn around to applaud the fans chanting his name.........very unprofessional.

I know he is only a kid, but he has to learn that even if he doesn't like the managers decision he has to shrug it off, look lively and show some respect to the few hundred fans who made the long trip north.

On another note.............can smeone else start taking the corners & freekicks as Shelveys delivery is getting worse and we wasted some good positions yesterday by his woeful deliveries. I know he made the first goal but we had 2 or 3 free-kicks 30 yards out and every one was so low that the defender easily cleared them.

apart from that - really enjoyed the game

Comments

• Yes I noticed that too

Also didnt seem to really look interested from about 65mins on

Even I could do better corners and free kicks :P
  • Careful folks, you're going to be berated on here if your opinion of Shelvey isn't 100% positive.
  • Expect to get beaten down for saying this, but yes I do agree with what your saying regarding his attitude.
  • Think boys... think (shakes head)
  • I've only seen the highlights. What I saw was a supremely struck left foot cross that found Lloyd's head for the first goal.
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]I've only seen the highlights. What I saw was a supremely struck left foot cross that found Lloyd's head for the first goal.

Just watched the highlights myslef and a brilliant curleing cross right onto Sams barnet...

after hed beaten the left back...
  • Seems to be fair points and both can be appropriately characterized as constructive criticism (better attitude; improvement on dead ball service).

Certainly better than posting speculation that a good run of play will ultimately provide cover for the club going into bankruptcy...
  • edited August 2009
    edited
  • First time I'd seen him play on Saturday.

Have to say I was really impressed. Couldn't believe he was only 17. Thought he was great with the away fans during the warm up and can remember him geeing us up to make more noise as he was about to take a corner and came across at the end to applaud us with the rest of the team. Jumped all over Bailey when he scored. I took it as a sign of his commitment when he clearly didn't enjoy getting subbed. Understandable in a game like that obviously enjoying himself and fancied a goal. Still young and keen. Long may it continue.

There were a couple of free kicks and corners that didn't work but sometimes they come off other times they don't. If Ronaldo or Gerrard had provided the assist for Sam's first goal the MOD 'experts' would have been having an orgas*m over it. Don't think any bigger club scouts would be put off by what they saw!
  • Sponsored links:

• he is a TEENAGER !! and sometimes i guess he will act like it. I think he is trying to hard at the moment and its stopping his game coming through. Even with that his ability is such that whilst not at the top of his game he can easily be one of the better players on the pitch.

if we aint geting any money and this takeover (what a joke) cant help re geting players in, then id sell JonJo. However it would only be to a Prem team for not less than £5million and we keep him for this season.
  • I would rather a player showed frustration at being subbed than ran off with a broad smile so he could sit and talk to his mates on the bench. I have seen the lad play at Hartlepool and Tranmere, on both occasions he made goals and showed complete commitment to the game and his team. OK he wasn't perfect but what player is, like all of us we all make mistakes at work, but I am sure that with the support of the management and the team he will continue learning and become an even better player.
  • Can we stop having a "Shelvey yesterday" thread after every game.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Can we stop having a "Shelvey yesterday" thread after every game.

agreed
  • If we win the League this season (or even get promoted full stop) i will excuse him his outburst yesterday although i was not imparessed.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Can we stop having a "Shelvey yesterday" thread after every game.[/quote]

LOL yoour right we have one after every game.
  • Let me get this right Golfie, so that i understand.

You just witnessed our best away victory since Wolves away about 6-7 years ago, having been to most away games since you would have seen around 80% defeats, we're now top of the league and haven't dropped a point, and the only reflection you think is worth commenting on is the fact that a 17-year old was a bit disappointed about being substituted ?

Is that right ?
  • He wants to play and he just wants to do well. His dead ball delivery is good (on balance) and will get better. He is a great player to watch and we are very lucky to have him.

He gets frustrated when others misplace passes to him and when he gets subbed. He is what we call a human being. For gawds sake give the lad a break, he is only 17.
  • Are we playing in the premiership or league 1 ? because the reality is that some of Shelvey's deliveries on Saturday were absolute "quality" for this division and others more standard. I have yet to see a midfield player from any other side in this division who comes close to his ability on the ball and his quality of delivery, so he is unhappy at being taken off (Parker ever do that ?) wow ! (I'm sure the manager will sort that out) Shelvey will, as with all good young players, improve over time, but to suggest taking him away from taking on the dead balls is laughable ............................ guess Parky is blind to what some of our fans see. There was one particular free kick from wide on the right in the first half, that only needed a touch to be goal number 3 and there was another which was intentinaly played in short for Dailly who put a header just wide, from what looked like a training ground move.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Let me get this right Golfie, so that i understand.

You just witnessed our best away victory since Wolves away about 6-7 years ago, having been to most away games since you would have seen around 80% defeats, we're now top of the league and haven't dropped a point, and the only reflection you think is worth commenting on is the fact that a 17-year old was a bit disappointed about being substituted ?

Is that right ?
    what he said

what's with the fucking Shelvey digs every week!

Best player and asset at the club and potentially one of the best players in this country in a few years time - bur seeing as he cocked up a few corners we should probably release him on a free!

Golfy - have a word with yourself fella!
  • Sponsored links:

• Dont think we have the room to be picky as No.1 says we are not in the prem so ust cos a teenager throws a strop dont feel thats a reason to see fault in the boy his deliveries yday were 75% quality i thought
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

You just witnessed our best away victory since Wolves away about 6-7 years ago

I'm sure when you say 'best' you mean 'highest' ;-)
  • Best player and asset at the club and potentially one of the best players in this country in a few years time.

Potentially yes i agree.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Best player and asset at the club and potentially one of the best players in this country in a few years time.

Potentially yes i agree.

and being 17 could potentially take stupid comments to heart and have a loss of form or make a rash decision and hand in a transfer request

1 day before the window closing the last thing we should be doing is unfairly criticising our players - especially when we know they read this site
  • This constant over analysing of Shelvey is ridiculous and needs to stop ffs!
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Best player and asset at the club and potentially one of the best players in this country in a few years time.

Potentially yes i agree.

and being 17 could potentially take stupid comments to heart and have a loss of form or make a rash decision and hand in a transfer request

1 day before the window closing the last thing we should be doing is unfairly criticising our players - especially when we know they read this site

YES! totally!

bloody ridiculous.....

We all know that unless we have a meteoric rise through the divisions then they will be a rubbish day in the future when we say goodbye to Jonjo Shelvey ....

Lets make it difficult for him to leave by showing him how much we love him and how valued he is.... instead of slagging of a 17yr old for not being 100% genius every single game he plays... and only being 75% magic....

Particularly as we might as well be talking directly to him....or talking to a blood relative....

Let's make sure weve done everything we can to make it a very dificult decision for him to leave...

as opossed to winding him and his family up until he does leaves.... (for loads more money I might add)
  • Golfad Dick
  • Exactally the lad is one of the best youth products i have seen at Charlton and if he was reading this thread he would have reason to be pissed off with us. It is unproffesional when players react badly to being subed however he is only 17 and it cost us nothing yesterday so i am prepared to excuse him completley for this because its just nice to see a youngster with that much passion to play for Charlton. Passionate players are what we need to do well in this league and i feel Shelvey will be one massive thing that helps us achieve a good league possition this season.
  • Lets make it difficult for him to leave by showing him how much we love him and how valued he is.

Think thats is what is needed the more gratitude we show him hopefully he will stay longer.
  • 'KIN HELL.Cantona,Bergkamp and Zola all threw strops when they were subbed too.