Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Evans

Has there ever been so much hype (since the launch of Radio 1!) to promote a breakfast show DJ?
I have listened to (and largely enjoyed) Wogan for years. I never have been that keen on Evans, less so having read that his main influence was - Timmy Mallett!!!. Seems like his agent and the BBC are fearful of a large dip in audience figures at 7am tomorrow, judging by the amount of promo Evans is getting.
Shouldn't need it if he's THAT good! :-)

Comments

• I gave him a go on R2 drive but found him pretty dull and that was the last thing he was on R1/GLR. Even worse BBC London has brought in Gaby Roslin who is unbearable. Xfm is bland.

Nicky Campbell is too smug and Talksport has gone down hill too, so I'll end up looking for something else....
  • I've not actually seen much promo - but I can imagine they are building it up a fair bit on the station itself.

I used to listen to Evans on Virgin when I was at school, and thought he was great. Be interesting to see how he adapts to the slightly more conservative platform of the Wogan show.
  • He's certainly grown up, which is probably why it seems duller on drive. Quite looking forward to Simon Mayo on R2 drive.

I think he'll be good on breakfast, listening figures will dip at the start, and then go up in the summer, think the person who will be hit the most is Chris Moyles, the older listeners of his show will go to R2.
  • The media knives have been out for Moyles for a long while now.
  • The most important show on the most listened to station, always going to be of interest.

Evans on GLR was a thing of genius.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]I gave him a go on R2 drive but found him pretty dull and that was the last thing he was on R1/GLR. Even worse BBC London has brought in Gaby Roslin who is unbearable. Xfm is bland.

Nicky Campbell is too smug and Talksport has gone down hill too, so I'll end up looking for something else....

Try Absolute (ex Virgin radio)? I alwys enjoy it.
  • In the mornings BBC London is good especially because of the weather and the traffic, but Gaby Roslin has now ruined all that. I suppose it has to be classic FM with the traffic reports cutting in...or better still me CD's.
  • It makes me wonder how Gaby Roslin got the job, its like Listen with Mother. She waffles on and appears to forget theres actually people listening.
  • The Radio Kent breakfast people are very good. They have a broad mix of articles, local news and sport, obviously traffic and transport news is useful if you're local (and you wouldn't be listening, or able to listen, if you weren't).
  • I couldn't stand Jo Goode on BBC London, didn't Ross and Roslin do Big Breakfast together for a while
  • Sponsored links:

• Radio kent 4 me untill 9.30 then switch to R2.
  • Evans used to be brilliant in his early days on Radio 1 and Virgin, as others have said, has grown up a bit now. Personally I still like him and will listen to him when out and about in the car.

Generally just have talksport on nowadays in the car during the week.
  • They even had Wogan and Evans together on Celeb. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire over Christmas, wonder how they got old Tel to do that. Anyway he blew out £31,000 as he got an answer wrong! But I do miss Johnny Walker: he and Sally Traffic were a perfect team.
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]They even had Wogan and Evans together on Celeb. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire over Christmas, wonder how they got old Tel to do that. Anyway he blew out £31,000 as he got an answer wrong! But I do miss Johnny Walker: he and Sally Traffic were a perfect team.

In the rehersals on that they won £1m
  • Really? Perhaps they should have shown that then!
  • yep, that's what I thought!
  • A few years back I was a bit perturbed when Chris Evans took over the drive time slot on Radio 2 from Johnny Walker and wondered how he was going to keep and placate that audience..........well, IMHO, he did and more.

The last 3 years or so driving home has been a joy and I'm going to miss him - Simon Mayo will probaby be ok, but will not have the range of guests,slots, etc hat Chris Evans did.

I may have to get up early to catch his Breakfast show - don't usually have the radio on at home and not in the car until around 9.30 am.

To all you doubters........stick with him, he'll be ok !
  • I'm with you golfie, in my opinion Chris Evans is one of the best on the radio at the moment. He nailed Drive time when many thought he'd blow it and I suspect he'll do the same on breakfast, after a settling in period.
  • We have Absolute on at work and that is alright, especially with this no-repeat guarantee. I'm not overly keen on the DJ's but the music is good as Kiss, Xfm and Radio 1 seem to have an hour long playlist that gets recycled over the day.

Morning radio has been utter gash since Bam Bam & Streetboy left Kiss
  • edited January 2010
    I cannot stand him. Self centered,egotistical bully.

Bring back DLT!

Anyway I am at work when he is on so don't care. Radio 5 is good in the mornings so I'll listen to that when I'm off work and then switch to 2 at 0930 when Ken Bruce comes on.

Mayo will be brilliant but sorely missed on 5 live. Bacon has got his slot - He's crap!

I will miss JR on a Saturday morning though.
  • Sponsored links:

• The general consensus of this thread is that change is bad.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]I'm with you golfie, in my opinion Chris Evans is one of the best on the radio at the moment. He nailed Drive time when many thought he'd blow it and I suspect he'll do the same on breakfast, after a settling in period.[/quote]

Im with Golfie and KB really enjoyed drivetime, currently listening to the morning show which seems to be more of the same, also looking forward to drivetime with Mayo, who was good on 5 Live but surely even better with records.
  • He's no bam bam and streetboy but he'll improve

I'm flicking between him and moyles at present
  • edited January 2010
    Radio 4 anyone?

Glad Jo Goode has left BBC London breakfast but not a fan of Paul Ross either. Will see how he does with Gabby Roslin.

Chris Evans was great on GLR in the old days when you had him and the Baker Boy on Sunday morning.

As a person I've never liked Evans and agree with Chirpy. He comes over as very controlling and self centred but "don't forget your toothbrush" and "TFI Fridays" were both ground breaking TV (good writing as much as presentation, of course)
  • I was doubtful when he took over from the great Johnny Walker, but have to agree he made drivetime his own and I'm not sure Mayo is the right guy to follow him, I would have preferred Ricard Allison.
    Any way been listening to him since the show started this morning and its ok, but think he will need to calm down a bit he seems hyper today!! But I'll give him a few weeks as I think he'll be good in time. Chis Moyles may suffer as someone else said.
  • Where's Steve Wright nowadays....used to really like him!
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Where's Steve Wright nowadays....used to really like him!

Radio 2 in the aftenoon from 2 to 5 and also sunday mornings 9 to 11.
  • edited January 2010
    Dont mind anyone on the radio as long as it isnt Sara Cox. She can talk shite for England that girl. Cannot stand her, she's certainly got a face for radio but a voice for the hard of hearing.

She can also be added to the celebs you hate thread.

Chris Evans i dont mind, Dont forget your tooth brush & TFI were quality. Freak or unique on a friday evening....great.
  • Not sure if this is right or not (memory not what it used to be), but didnt a Charlton supporter win a million quid on TFI a few years back? and was goiong to buy an exec box? This show and dont forget our toothbrush were ground breaking shows IMHO.
  • Wonder what would have happened if my old mate Mark Fox had kept sober? He was brilliant on the Millennium breakfast show. he was in line to take over when Evans left Virgin only he kept calling the station manager Pig Vomit. Not surprising that he got sacked.

As for Evans, he's admitted he's not choosing the music. R2 will play safe with the music to keep the Togs happy. He's mellowed and realised how lucky he was to have been given a second chance.