Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
I was in the Oak before the game on Saturday and bumped into two young girls that were friends of Rob's, he had sorted them tickets and they were looking forward to the game.

They said that last week Rob's mum had read some harsh stuff about him on the forums (did not say which one)and that she was beside herself as he was very upset.

I have to say that I do actually think he is a very good player and we are lucky to have him. Yes he does flap at balls etc, but on his day he is class in the making. Chin up Rob and hope to have you back soon!

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: robroy[/cite]I was in the Oak before the game on Saturday and bumped into two young girls that were friends of Rob's, he had sorted them tickets and they were looking forward to the game.

They said that last week Rob's mum had read some harsh stuff about him on the forums (did not say which one)and that she was beside herself as he was very upset.

I have to say that I do actually think he is a very good player and we are lucky to have him. Yes he does flap at balls etc, but on his day he is class in the making. Chin up Rob and hope to have you back soon!

Can't speak about Your Views on the OS but Ooh Ah is the only person who slates him on here.
  • Agree he is class in the making, however just because he is cafc fan does not mean he is immune to criticism. Especially as his performances have been very inconsistent recently. I am a huge fan of Robbie but did start a discussion as to whether he needs a rest (now this is academic), as his confidence has been affected imho and perhaps needed a break from the firing line.

Hope he is back before end of season, if not sure he will be back next season even better.
  • The Charlton fan is a bonus. I do think that some of the saves he has made this season have been class, he has saved us more points than he has cost us. The game away at southend....yes he let a clanger in! But he made 3 top draw saves.

Lets hope he stays with us!
  • Robbie's already a good goalkeeper at this level. He's made some mistakes but over the season has been one of our best players in my view. Also he's only young and should get better. Certainly one of the players we should be building the team round
  • If they want to make it to the prem one day, which I'm sure all of our young players do, when're they drop a clanger they'll get criticised on national television, where the entire country is watching. I do understand it when it's the young players, but they're going to have to get used to criticism at some time.
  • he was carrying a knock on saturday and should have been protected
  • edited March 2010
    Just watched the second goal again. He gets done by a deflection that takes all the pace off the ball which is why he seemed to go down too early. That goal was badly defended by Bailey, Dailly and Sam S. I don't think Rob Elliot was at fault.
  • Defended him on here earlier this month and stand by the comments that overall he has had a good season. I think the injury and time out of the side will do him a favour. He's looked jittery for a few weeks now. Will be interesting to see if we move in the loan market again. Personally hope we get a bit of experience in and that Randolph gets a run.
  • He has made numerous important saves of huge significance. He's playing in League 1 for a reason lads, there's going to be the odd mistake. But imo a strong Player of the Season contender.....
  • the emperors new clothes
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Defended him on here earlier this month and stand by the comments that overall he has had a good season. I think the injury and time out of the side will do him a favour. He's looked jittery for a few weeks now. Will be interesting to see if we move in the loan market again. Personally hope we get a bit of experience in and that Randolph gets a run.

If we're getting experience in, why would Randolph get a run?

I'd like to see Randolph start, and save the money
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]the emperors new clothes[/quote]

Oh please!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Agree he is class in the making, however just because he is cafc fan does not mean he is immune to criticism. Especially as his performances have been very inconsistent recently. I am a huge fan of Robbie but did start a discussion as to whether he needs a rest (now this is academic), as his confidence has been affected imho and perhaps needed a break from the firing line.

Hope he is back before end of season, if not sure he will be back next season even better.

good post
  • What mistakes has he made? The goal at Southend which luckily didn't matter in the end. Saturday's was excusable in my opinion. What else?

I'd like to hear specifics, not just; "he flaps a bit" or, "he just doesn't seem confident" etc.
  • I don't think he makes that many mistakes, he's probably one of our more consistent players, especially being a young keeper. He makes mistakes but not many are stupid errors, losses of concentration, more just things he'll improve on with experience.
  • I've seen him make a few flaps (bloopers) here and there of late....but nothing much to worry about, he's still very young and he'll improve I'm sure.
  • I think he dropped a cross quite badly at the valley, which he got away with too. I really can't remember anything else.

I think he's an obvious scapegoat as keepers often are.
  • Well having met Robbie on a few occasions I can honestly say he was one of the most politest, modest lads you could wish to meet.
    You would have no idea he is a professional footballer (sorry to stereotype here) but he is not flash or arrogant and appreciates what a fantastic job he has and how lucky he is. As for his goalkeeping I think he is very solid, brave with great kicking and probably one of the best keepers along with Davis of Southampton in the division.
    I think Charlton are lucky to have him.
    Tel
  • Sign him up
  • Sponsored links:

• In The Times he is quoted as saying now is the time to look for regular football at club level and to further his international chances.....so who would have him back.

I would.

Now that he's earned his millions and made himself financialy secure. Would still have him back - good keeper.
  • Would have been a great addition for us in the summer, not so much now though.

Would love him back, top boy
  • Good solid keeper, better than our current top two but I think Pope will come good eventually.
  • Good solid keeper, better than our current top two but I think Pope will come good eventually.

He was solid alright. This was his biggest problem :-)

I'm not sure if he's better than Henderson, I was sceptical at first but I'm starting to come round.

The problem with Elliott is that's it's hard to say if he's developed or progressed in the time he's been away as we've seen so little of him.
  • Rob was decent enough for us. People forget the awful defence and midfield he played behind much of the time when with us although he did get beaten from distance sometimes. One hopes he has improved that weakness.

Even though he is a fan I doubt whether he would in reality return to us.
  • Being that he is Newcastle Number 2, and has played in the first team, you would hope that he is premier league standard, not necessary world class, but good enough, even Pardew would not keep him if not