Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Poppies on football shirts

Just watching Spurs v Blackburn and it seems Blackburn have taken the decision, for whatever reason, not to have a poppy on their shirt.
Except for the goalkeeper Paul Robinson.
I thought it might just be hard to see in their red shirts, but I've looked carefully and they definitely don't have one.

Anyone know why this is? And why does Robinson have one?

Comments

• Cant see any reason why they should not even on a red shirt with a black outline it would be noticed
  • We didn't have one today, nor did Peterborough. I think all the teams in the country should have had one on their shirts today, there's no excuses to be honest.
  • I know what you mean, but to be honest, I wasn't judging, I was just wondering why Robinson had one while none of his teammates did.
  • Robinson and the rest of Blackburn did have one.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sage[/cite]We didn't have one today, nor did Peterborough. I think all the teams in the country should have had one on their shirts today, there's no excuses to be honest.

Why? What exactly does that achieve? It's a fine cause and one I whole heartedly support, but it's possible to go OTT. There has been a minutes silence at every Premier League and Football League match this weekend and there was a poppy wreath laid on the centre circle before our match. That's enough surely, all in addition to the 2 minutes silence that all those in support of the event will have held privately on Thursday.
  • [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]Robinson and the rest of Blackburn did have one.

Really?
    I was looking carefully everytime they did a close up on one of them on Football First and didn't see any.
  • [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]Robinson and the rest of Blackburn did have one.

Really?
    I was looking carefully everytime they did a close up on one of them on Football First and didn't see any.

Yer the whole Blackburn team definately had one.
  • Yeah, on MOTD they showed the minute silence and could see it on the Blackburn kit, they had it stitched over the red bit so might be hard to see it.
  • Oh yeah, so they did.

Well, that answers my question then eh?

*gets coat*
  • I think that for some teams - especially those like us that are skint - that having a special shirt done for the poppy might be a bit on the pricey side.

The poppy shirts I have seen seem to be embedded in the fabric (rather than being a sewn-on badge), suggesting a new shirt has been produced, rather than as a stick-on badge.

With funds as tight as they are the producing 16 new jerseys might have been a bit expensive for some teams.

Just a thought......
  • Sponsored links:

• Was probably an FA thingy where premiership teams had no choice but to have poppies, give the league a good image etc etc
  • I noticed Preston had one on their shirts last night.
  • Im just watching the Blackburn they defo have one on..
  • Spurs, although it pains me to say it have a quality side.... Bale, Modric, Van De Vart... a really nice Midfield..
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    Why? What exactly does that achieve? It's a fine cause and one I whole heartedly support, but it's possible to go OTT. There has been a minutes silence at every Premier League and Football League match this weekend and there was a poppy wreath laid on the centre circle before our match. That's enough surely, all in addition to the 2 minutes silence that all those in support of the event will have held privately on Thursday.

I don't really think having a poppy on the shirt can be classed as OTT. As for what does it achieve, well exactly the same as what you wearing a poppy on your coat or jumper - it shows support for the cause.
  • [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]*gets coat*
    with poppy on
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]*gets coat*
    with poppy on

Of course.
  • It's good to see more teams with them on this year - I think that there are stick on ones as well, so a new kit isn't necessary.......maybe someone should let them know down at Sparrows Lane!
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]

I don't really think having a poppy on the shirt can be classed as OTT. As for what does it achieve, well exactly the same as what you wearing a poppy on your coat or jumper - it shows support for the cause.

It does show support, but there was also a minutes silence before kick-off a poppy wreath laid on the centre spot - it's not exactly like event was completely ignored is it. having a poppy on the shirt as well isn't really necessary on top of that.
  • Putting the poppy on players from all parts of the world that really don't give a shit. Half of them are just happy to have a few mil in the bank..

A min silence and a poppy on the center spot would do nicely.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Putting the poppy on players from all parts of the world that really don't give a shit. Half of them are just happy to have a few mil in the bank..

A min silence and a poppy on the center spot would do nicely.

You realise the kits are signed n auctioned after the game and all the money goes to the poppy appeal, right?
  • There's not a professional club in the country that couldn't auction off their special, signed, match worn, once a season Poppy shirts, and make enough to cover the production and still give loads and loads to the RBL.

How much would you pay for those that Charlton didn't wear yesterday ?

How much would you pay for a Celtic one while we're at it ?
  • Has Big Sam turned to Islam ?
  • edited November 2010
    Really don't see the problem with it tbh. I think it's respectful and dignified that as the whole nation pays it's respect to those who fought for our freedom's that we take for granted British football does the same.
  • I think Sunderland didn't have the poppy on their shirts at Chelsea yesterday- unless it had been stitched on to a red stripe which would've been a bit silly.

Saw that the refs had them on their shirts as well.
  • How is having a poppy on the shirt different from another charity, political or religious image? They're not allowed, why are poppies treated differently? Would it be seen as ok for each charity to expect this on their special days?

The ubiquity of expecting poppy wearing is making it into something way more than a remembrance, IMHO making it into something quite controlling. It reminds me of the 'unless it's forbidden it's compulsory' mantra of the ants in The Once and Future King.
  • [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]How is having a poppy on the shirt different from another charity, political or religious image?

Because of what it represents.
  • [cite]Posted By: Lincsaddick[/cite]Has Big Sam turned to Islam ?

Interestingly

India's army grew from 200,000 in 1939 to 2.5 million in 1945, with Muslims making up about a third of the numbers at any one time. Most Muslim recruits came from what is now Pakistan.

In all, 87,000 Indian army soldiers were killed in the war, according to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
  • [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]How is having a poppy on the shirt different from another charity, political or religious image?

Hmmm. Not sure that his can't be said of any charity. Why shouldn't shirts have the symbol of sense or RNLI or Oxfam then - they all represent charities at least as worthy, as do many, many more.
  • [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]How is having a poppy on the shirt different from another charity, political or religious image?

Hmmm. Not sure that his can't be said of any charity. Why shouldn't shirts have the symbol of sense or RNLI or Oxfam then - they all represent charities at least as worthy, as do many, many more.

Didn't Aston Villa wear a charity shirt (?Acorns) for a season or more a while back?