Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CP the Million Pound Question

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Would you if it was your own money give CP big pound notes (1 miilion ?) to spend in the close season ? would you ? i wouldnt and im not sure this board should risk it either.

so far in all 15 games i have seen nothing that suggests he has ANY idea. Airman Brown suggested that there was a much better feeling about the place(he should know), but on the pitch ? i just dont see it. Yes its not his team -----yes you cant make players play football that dont have the ability ---all true------but he just looks lost.

Comments

• I wouldnt give him anything as I think we would regret it
  • Faith in the manager is key for the supporters. So far we have not seen it.

I think alex dyer wasn't the right choice from Powell and I'm having doubts about that way he is trying to make us play in a league where sometimes u have to be direct.
  • Even with a team you didn't choose if you are a professional manager you should be able to get SOME results. We didn't stick around the playoff places by pure chance.

I cannot see them throwing good money after bad, nor throwing their investment away out of a sense of loyalty they almost certainly don't have to a trainee manager.
  • GH that was a while ago Airman said that and he is head of communications and a politician.

The owners must be in a quandary. I have serious doubts that cp will be here come August and would not be surprised if he went once the season was over, away from the glare of the crowd.
  • One Million isnt gonna get us out if this division. Chris Powell or no Chris Powell.
  • edited March 2011
    No!

There is no way that the new board will not have a Plan B in place in the event of a disaster - which is pretty much what we have right now.

They gambled and it hasn't worked out unfortunately (in hindsight it was a poor decision, but an exciting one (at first)).

I think they will, however, wait until the season closes but will be drawing up those plans now. They are business men (firstly and foremostly) and not as emotionally attached as us lot are.

We saw their ruthless streak after Swindon (PP), I don't see why people think it will be any different for CP - it won't.
  • Since Curbs left everything we've touched has gone wrong.

Even appointing a club legend has gone wrong. Wouldn't surprise me if everyone we sign in the summer turn out to be a load of turnips for us.

For years we have a habit of coaching any ability out of players.
  • It has only gone wrong in the short term.

More than my own personal cash, I would give him 2 years. Cast iron guaranteed.
    Then I would make a decision.

And I wouldnt listen to the fickle, moaning, myopic short-term fans
  • Appointing CP was wrong wrong wrong, I said at the time we needed an experienced man to come & sort out this mess & it didn't happen. With an inexperienced manager we needed an experienced assistant (just as palarse have done with LL) & it didn't happen. I can see why the board went with him but again for the wrong reasons. As a coach he may be highly thought of by certain people within the game & with his experience as a Players Union man he's obviously used to dealing with players but he was still untried as a manager. If it had worked it would have been a fantastic story for the fans & CP & an inspired appointment by the board however the reality is very different. As I've said I didn't want CP here but having been given the job of course I wanted him to succeed but I have to say I was surprised to say the least, to learn that the interview for the managers job that long term was intended to return us to the premiership last just 1 hour & 15 minutes. I have had longer interviews than that for low key clerical jobs !!! We have since learned that Slater decided after 5 minutes that "we had found our new manager" on account of his presence ??? What the fuck does that mean, what is he doing giving a man the managers job on account of him being able to hold peoples attention. Haven't we been down this road before? I seem to remember Dowie impressing with his ability to hold peoples attention with outlandish claims of premier league success. Quite honestly with the way that the board threw out the other bloke (rightly so) I can't see Chris Powell being given money to spend come the summer & think he will be quietly shipped out "by mutual consent" or maybe moved sideways if he was prepared to revert to being someone elses coach ?
  • People were asking the same question of Parky when he took us down from the championship! At one stage it seemed like we'd never win another game and he was labelled "clueless'. We started the next season by winning our first 5/6 games.
    We're just going to have to accept that this season is over, but next season could be completely different.
    I like the fact that he seems to be looking for higher quality players in BWP, Parret, Stewart and Bessone?? and that he is prepared to give the youngsters a go (Jenkinson & Solly)
    He has a difficult balancing act atm, trying to assess the ability of his players, their characters, mental strengths, weaknesses, best positions etc etc etc. Whilst at the same time trying to get results, all with an eye on strategy for next season. So yes, if I had the kind of money that the new owners have, I'd have no problem giving him some to spend.
    Better that than bringing in an experienced manager with a big reputation and an even bigger nose to throw all our money away!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2011
    Parkinson took change of a team in freefall (plus it was a mistake to appoint from within) and there was probably no noticeable change in the pattern of results. When Powell came in the team were inconsistent and didn't lose many games - both facts have changed. I don't think the awful run will continue much longer, I certainly hope not, but winning a few games now won't suddenly make the manager an astute one, if he was we wouldn't be in this abysmal pickle. Let's hope it is a good learning process for him, but promotion next season seems most unlikely next season despite having a bit of cash to splash.
  • I am confident CP will be with us next season. The plan is to spend and I'm sure players are being identified and a. List already drawn up. Yes the board are not emotionally attached like we are and I'm sure are ruthless enough when required but CP will be given his head next season I'm sure. Let's not try to predict a failure already.
  • Unfortunately agree 100% with what Salad wrote.
  • I would keep him and would back him with money in the summer.

Seem to have exactly the same debate on here after every defeat. Parkinson was sacked due to the perceived negative atmosphere amongst supportors which was attributed to the results acheived and style of football we were playing under him. Powell was appointed and one of his principle remits was to get the side playing more attractive football. It was also explained that as a result of the takeover, promotion this season was no longer imperative this season. Powell subsequently did as he was told and tried to get the side playing a more attractive passing game. Unfortunately, it rapidly became apparent that the a large proportion of the current playing squad aren't capable of playing this type of football, resulting in a promising season becoming a right off by mid-March. In his recent letter to supporters, Michael Slater has effectively acknowledged this and implie that significant investment will be forthcoming in the summer.

I am extremely angry with the new owners as, by making an extremely rash decision, they have not only turned a potential successful season into a write-off, but have also ensured that a new manager - who may yet prove to be a great success given the appropriate backing - has already lost the backing and goodwill of a large proportion of our support. It really doesn't matter if we lose every remaining game 5-0 - we've nothing left to play for this season. I really hope that CP is given a proper chance to put his own side together in the summer.

Moral of the story - don't sack your manager when you're 5th in the table.
  • I would not give Powell the money.
    He is a lovely chap blah blah blah.
    But he obviously is not the man for the job, why put him in a Dowie position, where we give him cash and he is then liable for wasting it on rubbish players and losing the rest of the faith any fans have left in him.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]

I am extremely angry with the new owners as, by making an extremely rash decision, they have not only turned a potential successful season into a write-off, but have also ensured that a new manager - who may yet prove to be a great success given the appropriate backing - has already lost the backing and goodwill of a large proportion of our support. It really doesn't matter if we lose every remaining game 5-0 - we've nothing left to play for this season. I really hope that CP is given a proper chance to put his own side together in the summer.

Moral of the story - don't sack your manager when you're 5th in the table.

I think the majority of fans thought that Parky's tenure had run it's course following the Swindon defeat, so I really don't think we should be too critical of the new board. Of course one is always right with the benefit of hindsight.
  • yeah the new owners should have not touched us and let us roll into administration , that would have been so much better
  • I didn't see this thread but put on another thread that this situation echoes the Norwich one 18 months ago. They had a club legend in charge in Bryan Gunn and he was rubbish, they quickly rectified the situation and now look at them.

Powell for me hasn't shown anything in any of his games in charge to suggest he would turn this round, even if he had £10m to spend. Thank him at the end of the season, send him on his way then get an EXPERIENCED manager in to spend the money in the summer. Otherwise i can see a situation whereby we give Powell money, then start off badly next season and a new man has to come in and he inherits a mess AND Powell's signings. And we'll be sat here saying we need to give the new man time to get his own players in and that'll be another few months wasted until he can do that in January.

The board must recognise this and act sooner rather than later. We can't afford to be sat in the bottom 6 in October looking for new manager who then can't buy players for 3 months.
  • I was heartened by Mick Collins piece and said I'd wait until the summer and see what happens but what if Powell gets it wrong which, judging by what he's done so far is a very real possibility.

Another season of failure and the crowds will disappear quicker than a portion of chips and mushy peas in a drunken, fat northern tarts chubby hands, we can't afford another failure, we MUST get promoted next season and back to Goonerhaters question - can we trust Chris Powell with the money, no I don't think we can......too risky!

I hope Chris Powell resigns, that would be the easy solution and then we can get a proven, experienced manager in.

SAD BUT TRUE, if you do care about Charlton Chris then move aside!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I didn't see this thread but put on another thread that this situation echoes the Norwich one 18 months ago. They had a club legend in charge in Bryan Gunn and he was rubbish, they quickly rectified the situation and now look at them.

Powell for me hasn't shown anything in any of his games in charge to suggest he would turn this round, even if he had £10m to spend. Thank him at the end of the season, send him on his way then get an EXPERIENCED manager in to spend the money in the summer. Otherwise i can see a situation whereby we give Powell money, then start off badly next season and a new man has to come in and he inherits a mess AND Powell's signings. And we'll be sat here saying we need to give the new man time to get his own players in and that'll be another few months wasted until he can do that in January.

The board must recognise this and act sooner rather than later. We can't afford to be sat in the bottom 6 in October looking for new manager who then can't buy players for 3 months.

Very good post.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Powell for me hasn't shown anything in any of his games in charge to suggest he would turn this round, even if he had £10m to spend. Thank him at the end of the season, send him on his way then get an EXPERIENCED manager in to spend the money in the summer. Otherwise i can see a situation whereby we give Powell money, then start off badly next season and a new man has to come in and he inherits a mess AND Powell's signings. And we'll be sat here saying we need to give the new man time to get his own players in and that'll be another few months wasted until he can do that in January.
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]I hope Chris Powell resigns, that would be the easy solution and then we can get a proven, experienced manager in.
    This seems to come up again and again.

Who are these experienced and proven League 1 managers waiting for a job?

Most of the managers doing well in this league are not that experienced.

Any proven manager can get a better job than Charlton.

Why would anyone proven take the job knowing they'll be sacked if they don't get things right within months?
  • Scoham - if the board have enough money to promise significant investment in the summer, then they'll have the money to attract a decent experienced manager. If Northampton Town can get Gary Johnson (who was touted as a potential Charlton boss by some on here) as manager then i'm sure we can find someone decent too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    Who are these experienced and proven League 1 managers waiting for a job?

exactly gary megson is hardly pulling up trees at sheff wed ....

let's face it we're a poisoned chalice !
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Scoham - if the board have enough money to promise significant investment in the summer, then they'll have the money to attract a decent experienced manager. If Northampton Town can get Gary Johnson (who was touted as a potential Charlton boss by some on here) as manager then i'm sure we can find someone decent too.
    Not asking for a specific name but I really have no idea the sort of managers your suggesting we could get? Do you mean the likes of Chris Coleman or Roy Keane? I wouldn't be confident they would be the answer.

There were so many names mentioned in January but none that stood out. Why will it be any different now/in the summer?
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Scoham - if the board have enough money to promise significant investment in the summer, then they'll have the money to attract a decent experienced manager. If Northampton Town can get Gary Johnson (who was touted as a potential Charlton boss by some on here) as manager then i'm sure we can find someone decent too.
    Not asking for a specific name but I really have no idea the sort of managers your suggesting we could get? Do you mean the likes of Chris Coleman or Roy Keane? I wouldn't be confident they would be the answer.

There were so many names mentioned in January but none that stood out. Why will it be any different now/in the summer?

I don't know who would want it (lets face it they'd have to be mad or desperate). Not even sure who's out of a job off the top of my head. I'd assume someone like Di Matteo or Hughton wouldn't want to drop this low but might be worth asking. My point though was that as a big league one club, with a decent fanbase and money to spend, we'd definitely be able to attract a decent manager. The turnaround of managers these days means they'll always be good managers out of work.
  • Maybe it's some of the players - we don't really know. Would agree that he needs to improve things a bit before the season ends to reassure the board that he can do the job but I honestly think he will. He was appointed by the board so they are more likely to back their own judgement I suppose. I suspect Chrissy will have a say in the players we bring in but people like Vetere and Peacock will also provide input so the board will probably be willing to back him. I think he'll need to hit the ground running next year though.
  • Experienced managers will only be available if they've failed elsewhere. We really should calm down and give CP the chance to show what he can do with his own team and a pre-season behind him.
  • I don’t think new owners take on failing clubs without considering that they may be throwing good money after bad for a long time. Its about long term planning not short term panic.

NB "GH that was a while ago Airman said that and he is head of communications and a politician." This is a hilarious statement.
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Scoham - if the board have enough money to promise significant investment in the summer, then they'll have the money to attract a decent experienced manager. If Northampton Town can get Gary Johnson (who was touted as a potential Charlton boss by some on here) as manager then i'm sure we can find someone decent too.

Correct Scoham. Would have been happy with Eddie Howe, but none of the other contenders were remotely appealing - all experienced managers who just happened to be available, primarily because they'd been sacked having failed miserably at their last job. So easy to say "sack the manager, get someone experienced in". Not so easy to come up with a viable candidate.
  • I am as depressed as everyone else but I back Chris Powell 100% and shame on you lot for wanting to stab the guy in the back after 11 poor results.

This is a team in transition with zero confidence trying to play proper football to take this club forward.

Once the board told the squad they were rubbish and would be sacked in the summer, even Alex Ferguson would have failed to get a good run going. This in my view, was a big managerial mistake by Slater & Co.

I would rather watch Chris Powell's team lose 6-0 at Rochdale trying to play football than watch Parky's turgid hoofball that secures 1-0 wins over teams like Notts County and takes us absolutely nowhere as a football club.

Parky is not a bad coach or a fool but we were going nowhere and anyone who watched his team play against Notts County, Bristol Rovers, Oldham or Swindon would tell you the same. We may have sneaked into the play-offs and then lost. So what?

Appointing CP was a bold and risky move but he is a highly respected football man who is 100% Charlton and wants the club to succeed playing proper football. Maybe he needs an old head as an assistant but I am sure he has lots of help on the end of the phone (Lord Curbs etc). Anyone who thinks he is Mr Nicey or a soft touch had better look for those players who questioned him or showed disloyalty or lack of commitment to the club. Messrs. Jenkinson. McOxo and Reid where are you now?

We have new owners with some dosh to spend in the summer, a great bunch of kids coming through and the best striker in this league by far.

So get behind the Chris Powell and show some idealism and long term support and stop whinging like spoilt girls.