Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'Black Managers need extra help'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9441854.stm

Comments

• oh crikey
  • The whole show is excellent, good stuff on Peter Varney in there
  • i listened to the five live show last night. it made me proud to hear peter varney's name being held up as a pillar of football society for his vision and commitment to issues such as this. i doubt chris being black had anything to do with his appointment, we all know it was a shoe-in, but it does make a statement to other clubs about who charlton are and what we stand for. also with our kick racism out campaign from the beginning and our work done with under privileged kids and overseas. these things make me as proud to be charlton as the stuff on the pitch. it's great to know that our club is held with regard and respect.
  • This made me cringe TBH. Now there are serious suggestions to invoke the 'Rooney Rule' (no, not that Rooney - can you imagine what his rule would be...) and make it compulsory to give minority candidates an interview for every available position. Patronising and misguided at best, racist at worse - isn't the whole point supposed to be that skin colour doesn't matter? All this will do is create resentment and belittle any achievement by black managers as they will be perceived as being given a helping hand and not being tough enough to succeed off their own backs.

Charlton's work in other areas to improve race relations have been fantastic, but I thought we had moved on from this kind of thing; it's just embarassing....
  • i think this is insulting to black people why would you only want to feel that youve been interviewd because your black

surely the best candidate gets the role based not on creed or race, skin colour, ethnic origin

this is not 20 or 30 years ago its here now in multi cultural britain
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i think this is insulting to black people why would you only want to feel that youve been interviewd because your black

surely the best candidate gets the role based not on creed or race, skin colour, ethnic origin

this is not 20 or 30 years ago its here now in multi cultural britain

You would think so ...
  • The facts are there are only two black managers - hugely under-representative given the number of black players in the game. Rather than discriminating in their favour, we should understand why this is the case.

What made me laugh was the comment on Radio 5 this morning that there weren't enough black owners. As if anyone with sufficient money and buying power would be prevented from acquiring control of a club. Can you imagine Plymouth Argyle turning down a club-saving offer because the prospective owner was dark skinned?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite][quote aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]only want to feel that youve been interviewd because your surely the best candidate gets the role based not on creed or race, skin colour, ethnic origin

[/quote]

You would think so ...[/quote]

YOu would but no
  • Total kak

its not about what skin pigment someone has it clearly should read
    "all CHARLTON managers need help"
  • The Rooney Rule is called Affirmative Action in the US or Positive Discrimination in the UK. I disagree with it. I think that the fact that there are two black managers in the game shows that the clubs aren't racist. The reason why there aren't more may be simply that there aren't any other qualified candidates.

Ask yourself if you think us Lifers are rascist. Because I don't remember anyone on here suggesting one black candidate for our position back in January. Are we racist or are there simply no suitable black candidates?
  • Sponsored links:

• "If we get more players like Chris Powell who are prepared to go for it and not expect a top job, that's what we need to try and encourage," he added.

Alright mate, don't rub it in FFS.
  • Absolute rubbish.

Rooney rule-"under this rule teams must interview minority candidates for senior posts".

Must? What, even if there are no suitable candidates.

Yet another person in power making something out of nothing.

Wouldn't matter if a person's white, pink, black, brown, orange or yellow, if they're good enough for the job, they'll get it.
  • Is ince qualified anyway ? When he went to Blackburn he didn't have his coaching badges & yet taylor talks of fast tracking him through because we need more black managers.
    What a load of bollocks apart from being racist. Why do we need more black anything ? If they're good enough then they're good enough. The only 2 black managers in the game have a huge way to go before proving they're good enough so why should anyone be fast tracked simply because they're black ?
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]The Rooney Rule is called Affirmative Action in the US or Positive Discrimination in the UK. I disagree with it. I think that the fact that there are two black managers in the game shows that the clubs aren't racist. The reason why there aren't more may be simply that there aren't any other qualified candidates.

Ask yourself if you think us Lifers are rascist. Because I don't remember anyone on here suggesting one black candidate for our position back in January. Are we racist or are there simply no suitable black candidates?

Then you need to follow the paper trail back to why there are no qualified black candidates, as Les Ferdinand said there are a lot of black players who are not willing to invest their time in gaining their badges, not because they are not interested but because they do not believe that they will be given the opportunity when they qualify. Paul Davies (ex arsenal) was said to be a great potential manager but was not given the opportunity. Gordon Taylor talked how he had had to persuade one black player to take his badges when he was coming up to retirement because like his peers he did not think he would get the opportunity to manage and who knows if he would have had the opportunity if his former CEO had not persuaded the board of his club to interview him, that player is now one of two black managers in the league and it is not Paul Ince.

Chris Powell and Paul Ince are the Clyde Bests of football managers and hopefully in years to come we will see many more including an England manager.
  • Fair points but surely your comparison to Clyde Best ultimately proves my point that Positive Discrimination is not needed.
  • "hopefully we will see many more ----"

why ? because of someones skin tone ? how is that not racist in itself ?

are people aware that with the Olympics there is a divercity comittee that sits every month to ensure that quotas are enforced re working on the sites ? are people aware that the first 6 jobs re theolympics went to "divercity advisors" @ £60K a pop ?

Positive discrimination biggest load of bollox ever
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]"hopefully we will see many more ----"

why ? because of someones skin tone ? how is that not racist in itself ?

If you say so and you would
  • edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Fair points but surely your comparison to Clyde Best ultimately proves my point that Positive Discrimination is not needed.

I did not say I agreed with legalised positive discrimination did I? What will work better is the education of the daily mailsters. In my opinion, laws that positively discriminate create a hostage to fortune for the right. What does need to happen is those laws that are there to protect against negative discrimination are fully enforced so that there is a level playing field in all walks of life and black, white, brown or yellow, able or disabled, regardless of creed you are judged as you and nothing else.
  • Blimey, before we get too carried away its worth making sure that we understand what is being proposed here. All that is suggested is a right to interview whilst black candidates are under-represented. It is not about fast tracking or guaranteeing jobs. It is about guaranteeing that people have the chance to be heard, because at the moment it seems that many may not be.

I'm not particularly advocating The Rooney Rule and I agree that there are problems with it. Not least that it could lead to wasting time and money with people sitting interviews for which they don't have a realistic chance of ever getting the job. But the fact that there are at present only two black managers in a game where there are so many talented black players suggests that something needs to be addressed somewhere.
  • Another black manager needs some help.

Ince has been sacked.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Another black manager needs some help.

Ince has been sacked.

Well, he wasn't given much extra slack was he!
  • Notts County job for Parky ?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite][quote aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Another black manager needs some help.

Ince has been sacked.[/quote]

Well, he wasn't given much extra slack was he![/quote]

Nor are most white managers who get the sack

Thats football
  • "The Rooney Rule" would just prove that ethic minorities are looked after better than white people in this country. There are only 2 black managers but no Asians, I wonder why that is? Probably because there was (and still is) very little Asian players (what about the Asians! Very few of them even play still!) and there was less black players than white players back a couple decades ago! In future, I'm sure the whole thing would balance out without "the Rooney Rule". Look at the amount of blacks in the premier league now, some of them will one day become managers and very good managers at that! And again, what about the Asians!!! loool.
  • edited April 2011
    Apart from one or two notable exceptions black players are late starters in English football, largely due to the lack of commitment, for whatever reason, by clubs to take them on and develop them for their footballing skills rather than bypass them due to the colour of their skin.

Nowadays it is most unusual to come across a football team without black players, it is these players that will form a much larger core of black managers in the future, it's more a case of natural evolvement than a lack of ability or inherent discrimination...
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]You do mean without don't you?
    Well spotted that boy...
  • Don't think I've ever read a bigger load of nonsense in my life.
  • [cite]Posted By: alicwkd[/cite]Don't think I've ever read a bigger load of nonsense in my life.
    You obviously don't visit here that often...
  • [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]This made me cringe TBH. Now there are serious suggestions to invoke the 'Rooney Rule' (no, not that Rooney - can you imagine what his rule would be...) and make it compulsory to give minority candidates an interview for every available position. Patronising and misguided at best, racist at worse - isn't the whole point supposed to be that skin colour doesn't matter? All this will do is create resentment and belittle any achievement by black managers as they will be perceived as being given a helping hand and not being tough enough to succeed off their own backs.

Charlton's work in other areas to improve race relations have been fantastic, but I thought we had moved on from this kind of thing; it's just embarassing....

Well put. Some common sense.
  • Out of interest, how many of the people saying 'the colour of your skin doesn't matter,' are black?

It is difficult to understand discrimination when you are a white male and your life is not affected by it.