Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Scholes

Retires.

Proper player, I'm glad he's not doing the year at Oldham he always threatened!

Comments

• C'mon Powelly, get on the phone.

Persuade him to do one more year for you.

;o)
  • Lost count of the amount of players interviewed who described him as the best player they've played with/against.

• Xavi states he is the best midfielder he has ever seen and tried to learn from him as a youngster, which says it all for me as he is the best midfielder in the world excluding McOXO
  • unreal footballer united won't replace him!
  • I've got a feeling that Ferguson will retire when his fledging retire. Gary Neville and Scholes have gone in the season just past which just leaves Giggs. Could (hopefully) he the end of their dominance.

As for Scholes, great player although a bit dirty!
  • He'll be difficult to replace. However, I can't see any team employing him to coach their players in the art of tackling.
  • The goal at Villa was something special
  • Great player, terrible tackler though! Still think he retired from the international scene 5 or 6 years before he should have done, I think he would have made a huge difference in the past couple of world cups.

When you look at the current squad United have, they really need to spend big this summer to keep it all together.

New GK is probably number 1 on the list, but when you compare the midfield to Arsenal (Fabregas, Nasri, Song) Man City (Y Toure, Silva, Milner) Chelsea (Lampard, Essien, Ramires)and even Spurs (Modric, Van Der Vaart, Huddlestone) then you begin to understand just why Barcelona rang rings around them. Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick and Gibson just aren't up to it imo. Adding a major playmaker, for example a Kaka, a Schneider, a Xavi etc. to play in Rooney, Hernandez, Nani and Valencia with an enforcer to play in front of the defence, and they will properly dominate the league for years to come.
  • Always thought he might do a testimonial season at Oldham which would have been good for league 1 as far as entertainment goes, but he can't be arsed.

A fantastic player, but just heard him also described as a great tackler on the radio just now and had to laugh, as that was the only part of his game where he sucked massively....he didn't half score some cracking goals in his time, though.

• Sponsored links:

• He should give Oldham ago, he'll regret it if he doesn't.
  • He should give Oldham ago, he'll regret it if he doesn't.

Nah I don't think so. He may be a fan (isnt he?) but ultimately what's he got to gain by dragging himself around the lower leagues for another season except the potential for serious injury? That's not the way a player of his quality should finish his career.

• gone out at the top and good on him. imagine all the two bob footballers in lge 1 trying to do him
  • @Ledge

He'd probably deserve it, given some of the disgraceful tackles he's done over the years. I'll never hold him in that high regard for that reason alone. Tyldesley and the like try to claim there was never any malice in his tackles, whereas in reality he was one of the dirtiest players in world football.
  • He could tackle perfectly well when he wanted to. No player plays that long in CM for Man U and England without being able to tackle properly.

He choose to tackle that way, especially later on when Keane wasn't around to fill the enforcer role.
  • In that case he chose to intentionally hurt opposition players. That's why I don't like him.
  • He's a Northern Monkey, right?

;o)
  • In that case he chose to intentionally hurt opposition players. That's why I don't like him.
    He knew what he was doing, the media might have made excuses for him with "he can't tackle" but later on he "put it about" as they say.
  • I think we're agreeing with each other... then again I'm a bit hungover so my brain isn't working properly
  • I think we're agreeing with each other... then again I'm a bit hungover so my brain isn't working properly
    Yes, I'm agreeing with you.  : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• He got away with so many bad tackles in the prem due to referees falling into the trap of "it's scholesy, he tries but can't tackle, bless him". Made a reputation on it. Didn't work with the continental refs though. Think i read somewhere about him being the player with the worst disipline in champions league history.

I've got a feeling that Ferguson will retire when his fledging retire. Gary Neville and Scholes have gone in the season just past which just leaves Giggs. Could (hopefully) he the end of their dominance.

As for Scholes, great player although a bit dirty!
    End their dominance? and hand it over to who? City? oh, joy. Arabs buying our football..........
    At least Utd Built their club on reputation and success over the years.
  • That tackle where he got sent off against city was probably hes worst.
  • You lot are making him out to be Roy Keane's dirtier cousin! Scholes' passing ability was amazing and he didn't half hit some crackers in his time. Probably the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15 years.
  • You lot are making him out to be Roy Keane's dirtier cousin! Scholes' passing ability was amazing and he didn't half hit some crackers in his time. Probably the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15 years.
    agree but especially later on he got away with some terrible tackles and he was more than able to tackle within the laws of the game.
  • Wasn't Scholes a striker when he first broke into the Man U team?
  • Might have been a dirty tackler - but he was one of the cleanest strikers of a football.
    Volley from corner delivered to edge of box (against Bradford, I think?). Should've played more games for England.
  • One of the best midfield players I have seen in atching over 50 years of the game. Intimidating (not dirty) and totally competitive
  • Wasn't Scholes a striker when he first broke into the Man U team?
    I think you're right.

The volley was against Bradford and it was something else!

He should play for Oldham ;-)
  • Great player, liked how he kept his head down and just played football unlike Beckham, Keane, Rooney, Giggs etc
  • Great player, liked how he kept his head down and just played football unlike Beckham, Keane, Rooney, Giggs etc
    Don't think Giggs really fits in with the others. Seems to keep out of the media spotlight (apart from recent stories).