Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Presidential elections - should we bother?

Comments

• Options

To be fair to Blatter you do have to admire his cunning, he has the self-preservation instincts of a real old street fox and has played this quite brilliantly to ensure his own survival.

Hammam has been left looking like the guiltiest bloke in town whilst Blatter emerges more or less unscathed.

• Options
    edited May 2011

To be fair to Blatter you do have to admire his cunning, he has the self-preservation instincts of a real old street fox and has played this quite brilliantly to ensure his own survival.

Hammam has been left looking like the guiltiest bloke in town whilst Blatter emerges more or less unscathed.

No doubt, when it comes to playing dirty he's up there with the best of the bunch.

Adidas and Coke now making waves about being associated with this lot might help matters hopefully.

Looks like the FA also read my last post.

• Options
    Look after enough of the people who can vote and you'll get in- Blatter will have no problems securing support. But if the sponsors pull out - money talks and FIFA would have to listen.
  • Options
    I have just emailed Adidas (customercareuk@adidas.com) and my bank to ask 1, how I get a refund on my trainers from them 2, what options I have apart from VISA, both stating in-light of current bad press I do not wish to be associated with these products.

While this will not get me anywhere (I like the trainers and they are very conformable, and VISA is the only real world debit card system that works just about everywhere) if more people do this the faster these companies stop and listen.

This is how changes are made.  And lets be honest change is needed.  
  • Options
    Fair points Kap but do the MNC's rely give a stuff as long as they get their products placed on the world stage in the world's biggest sporting events and as much corporate filth as they can stomach?

Someone needs to develop a conscience...
    Not sure what MNC's stand for but assuming sponsors, yes they do if there is enough dirt and the media tie their reputation in with FIFA's dirt.  I am sure that there will be a few Coke and McDonalds junkets for FIFA members, if the press dig deep enough then they will be looking to extracate their reputations and that will involve helping to clean up FIFA's with it.  
  • Options
    Fair points Kap but do the MNC's rely give a stuff as long as they get their products placed on the world stage in the world's biggest sporting events and as much corporate filth as they can stomach?

Someone needs to develop a conscience...
    Not sure what MNC's stand for but assuming sponsors, yes they do if there is enough dirt and the media tie their reputation in with FIFA's dirt.  I am sure that there will be a few Coke and McDonalds junkets for FIFA members, if the press dig deep enough then they will be looking to extracate their reputations and that will involve helping to clean up FIFA's with it.  
    As this is developing I really think this is the way to go. FIFA show little or no inclination to sort themselves out as there's no incentive - turkeys and Christmas, etc. But if enough sponsors start getting antsy about being associated with such an overtly corupt organisation then maybe they'll think again. Whether it would result in the substantial change required is another point but the withdrawal of a major sponsor would mean someone's head would roll, even if it weren't Blatter's himself.
  • Options
    Everybody should buy PES and boycott FIFA until there is change.
  • Options
    Stasburger has got something there. If big multinationals like Coke and Adidas started getting constant shit from disgruntled punters then the mere threat of them pulling out may bring about change - even though if they did pull out someone would probably be ready to jump right into their place.
  • Options
    Hang on a minute, don't we have a "man on the inside" at Coca Cola? I wonder.

• Options
    Chuck Blazer sacked for honesty it seems.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chuck Blazer sacked for honesty it seems.
    Was just about to post the same.

The only person who has got the bullet is the one for whatever ulterior motive blabbed.

If this was a government the NATO planes would be in blockade formation by now.
  • Options

I agree Ormy, I always said that Blatter was a cunning stunt - I think that's what it was.
  • Options

They have spoken about their unhappiness through the media,
  • Options

That's a very restrained response NLA. Never had you down as a "company man".
    ;o)
  • Options
    172 out of 206 voters have voted against delaying the election so Blatter will be elected unopposed. 
  • Options
    172 out of 206 voters have voted against delaying the election so Blatter will be elected unopposed. 

No surprises there then. Splatter is going to have to get some changes to voting through in the next few years. I hope that they go for a similar process to the Olympics. Then we might stand a chance of winning.
  • Options

That's a very restrained response NLA. Never had you down as a "company man".
    ;o)
    He's changed, man.   Wears a suit and talks management jargon all the time now.

Still, he's going sort me out for Olympic tickets so won't have a bad word said against him!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    He was always going top be re-elected but just wait for the time bombs to go off - Blatter will do well to last 2 more years. Surely at 75 he would have been better off leaving whilst ahead. Still, good news for the press.
  • Options
    Know what you mean Henry. He posted something the other day about running something up the flagpole to see who salutes.

Still, he's done well for himself since knocking off his own takings to pay for his Christmas overspend that time. Hasn't looked back in fact.
    ;o)
  • Options
    Anyone see Blatter on the TV last night going on about how he has no wife or family and is a very generous and charitable man?

A word using the letters T U C N sprang immediately to mind. In fact, it's getting to the stage now that whenever his mug comes on I have this pathological desire to scream the word at the screen at the top of my voice, and I normally only reserve that particularly reaction for Dowie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2011

Fair play to the FA (for once), at least they tried to stir up some support to delay the vote. It's a shame but not surprising that none of the other major players backed them up on this occassion when they have so much self interest wrapped up in it.

As Muttley says he'll do well to last very much longer when confronted by a press pack who've been pointed in the right direction to find Sepp's skeletons shall we say...

We'll it would be nice to think they ain't going to let it drop now.

• Options
    Corrupt to the core. The FA should galvanise support from the other big footnballing nations and leave FIFA and form a new world governing body. I can't imagine ther would be many arguments from the big nations.
    Exactly this.   The only way it seems which will get rid of Mr Blater (FIFA 's answer to Mugabe)
  • Options
    I just got a very interesting call from my Bank following short email exchange this morning. 
    Seem that VISA is the only option in the UK as a payment card/charge card to use with your bank account (the other names are solo etc, are all also VISA) 
    I asked how this works and was told that VISA own the card and my bank "rents" this from them (they would not disclose the amount to me, but it is a small amount) .  Further VISA make at least 25p every time I use my card to pay for something.  
    After a little bit of a heated exchange with the customer service manager (so they claimed) I have been given the contact for my banks VISA inhouse team.  I have duly ask them for a complete refund of the money they have made from me and used to support and sponsor such corruption, since they have been involved with FIFA. I made it clear this money was not for me but to be paid in my name to the GOS children with leukaemia I expect to be present when the money is handed over. 
    I have copied a News Desk with the details.  

Adidas have been very quiet 
  • Options
    I just got a very interesting call from my Bank following short email exchange this morning. 
    Seem that VISA is the only option in the UK as a payment card/charge card to use with your bank account (the other names are solo etc, are all also VISA) 
    I asked how this works and was told that VISA own the card and my bank "rents" this from them (they would not disclose the amount to me, but it is a small amount) .  Further VISA make at least 25p every time I use my card to pay for something.  
    After a little bit of a heated exchange with the customer service manager (so they claimed) I have been given the contact for my banks VISA inhouse team.  I have duly ask them for a complete refund of the money they have made from me and used to support and sponsor such corruption, since they have been involved with FIFA. I made it clear this money was not for me but to be paid in my name to the GOS children with leukaemia I expect to be present when the money is handed over. 
    I have copied a News Desk with the details.  

Adidas have been very quiet 
    Go for it mate - good on you!
  • Options
    186/203 re-elect Blatter

Other interesting observations:

• Wales and Northern Ireland FA DID NOT VOTE in favour of delaying the election
    • The Argie right-hand man Grondona absolutely flatlined England and the English media adding that if we gave back the Falklands he might have voted for us to have the world cup
    • Oh and the ballot paper, amusing: http://twitpic.com/55hk7a
  • Options
    Oh and I think it would be interesting to have an enquiry into Geoff Thompson's conduct for the last however many years. He has been a Vice President of the Ex Co for how many years now? All he's done is ride the gravy train and not get his hands dirty... wonder how much he has enjoyed his "privileges"
  • Options

Any "World" meeting where everything is spoken in French cant be trusted !

Now they are talking about FIFA coming after the FA !! ha h ha what they going to do ? take away the chance of us holdingthe World Cup in 2170 ?

• Options
    Won't get one again GH until the whole infrastructure is completely ripped apart and relaid so we may as well save time money and energy contemplating it.

Of the 17 we only know Us, Scotland and Denmark.
  • Options
    This truly beggars belief.  What these people can say and get away with is beyond reality, this sort of thing would not even make its way into the plot of Lost or twin peaks.

the truth is are any of these people up-to looking after the game that we all clearly love?  I think not.  And now we clearly have to think "out of the Box" changing FIFA clearly is not going to happen with this lot. Removing them by any means is what is needing. 

Lets bring football (governance) home to where it all started. 
  • Options

bstds

another 2 names moved further down the list