Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

taking young children to the valley!

edited July 2011 in General Charlton
hi, i have a 3 year old son want to take him to his first charlton game but not sure if he is old enough ei would he sit still long enough or cry if crowd sang or we scored! what do other lifers think? when did people on here with kids start taking them and at what age?? big thanks uie2 p.s also have a daughter who 2 but i know shes not reading lol

Comments

• I took my eldest for the first time at 4 months old. 
  • oh bless thats cool sadiejane! ;-)
  • I don't have kids but I think I was about 6 months old when I attended my first game - away at Stoke in the early eighties. I wouldn't have thought there's any way he'll sit still for 2 hours but he's three. Take some colouring in books or something and be prepared to take a toilet break at least twice a half but I'm sure he'd be fine, it's the Valley after all not Galatasary vs Besiktas. Start 'em early I think before the Man Utd marketing machine gets hold of them..
  • edited July 2011
    i first took my 5 year old when he was 3 and he commented on it being too noisey and i had been warned about that and it was one of the quietest games ever, walsall 2 seasons back so we left at ht
    my current 3 year old made his debut last game of last season the 0-0 zzzzzzz with hartlepool and he also mentioned it was a bit noisey
    as for keeping them entertained that's a must cos unlike when we were kids and could roam around the ground our kids are restricted to the one seat
    lucky for me i have two sisters who sit beside where we are and they keep them entertained up to a point but it isnt easy
    if youre on your own i would start with a game that you are prepared to leave early from cos he will prolly get bored
    ive been lucky with toilet breaks on the odd occassion ive had to take them to toilet it was before ht , i wouldnt fancy it afterwards !
    a trip to the club shop is always exciting for em despite the limited crap that is sold in there
    i took my 5 year old to his first night game on tuesday and he was tired and wanted to leave after half hour but i wanted to see the new players so forced him to stay !!
    we had a really good view of bwp goal and in the end he was pleased we stayed
    being honest i do tend not to see as much of the game as you would without the child but it keeps the mrs off your back and is a free pass to see charlton and for 49 quid for a kiddies season ticket you cant go wrong !
  • I took my youngest Grandson when he was 5. I was pleased that he was sitting quietly, when suddenly this little voice said, " there's another one." I realised that he was sitting there looking up at the sky and spotting Aeroplanes. I had to accept that it was a bit early to expect him to concentrate on the game, but maybe we should watch games with them on TV first to get some interest and understanding before they come to a game. Trouble is, as in my case, we can't wait for them to share the excitement that we ourselves enjoy so much.  
  • my little girl is 4 and this season will be her second season, she loves it - goes home singing 'Chrissy Powell's Red n White army'

just make sure you have some sweets for each half and you'll be fine....something fairly difficult to get out of the wrapper as then they last longer!

• Took my now 3 year old to the Hartlepool game and he took more interest in banging the seats and kicking the fella in front than the game, then again the game was shocker.

Also got told off by the wife by plying him with crisps and sweets so I could watch the game, not a pretty sight later :)

I will pick and choose this season.

Need to get them early before their mates tell them to support Spurs or Arsenal.

• I have been taking my 7 year old for 4 seasons now for about 5 matches a season and I have just introduced my 4 year old last season to 3 games.  They even both came to Welling this year and probably enjoyed that as much as any game as we won 3-0.  They seem to have concentration in spells so with a mixture of sweets and their DS they seemed to enjoy the games.  My eldest has seen only one defeat and one draw in 12 so need to take him more often!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• I was born in 1947 on cup final day. My old mum stood on wembley terrace and dropped me out, there and then, before calmly continuing to watch the match. It provided half-time entertainment, as the older kids played terrace kickabout with the placenta. After the game mr Duffy put me inside the cup and paraded me round the pitch (unfortunately, the lid closed so i'm not in any of the famous shots) before baptising me in the players bath.

Sorry, i'm just so bored at the moment...............shall toddle off to find some nigels to wind up now me thinks
  • Go for it mate -   try and sit on the end of a row so if u need to get out for any reason its easier......also don t wait til the weather is bad - do it earlier in season  - more fun...mine definitely all been when they were younger than 3  -  you wont watch the entire game but i m sure you will enjoy it as much.

• Sponsored links:

• Start em at somewhere like Welling, then take em when they're about 6, as the noise (pah!) would put em off any younger.

Or just show em the fruitloops on here, that'll put em off.....

• It all depends on whether your son wants to go or whether you want him to go. i have a nephew who is seven and not interested in football. Whenever my brother takes him he moans, wont sit still and demands the toilet or food every five minutes.

On the other hand I have been taking my neighbours son since he was four. He has always been mad about football and can sit through a game on tv. I thnk this is a good testing ground - does he watch football on tv?

• My little one went to her first game just before her 8th Birthday.  
    She got very into it, (ashamed to say it, more than me, at times) She hates the swearing so I decided to move to the Family stand.  
    We go to as many as we can now.  She is truly hooked. 

She also makes up her own songs, the one that really sticks in my head goes....

We love Charlton, there the best...
    Bo Arsenal..... 
    Bo Chelsea
    Bo all the rest.     

Reference to the other children at her school that support the other teams.  

She got her name in the program at her first match and her name was called out.   That in itself makes her love the place.
    she also keeps score with the other children as to how many games she has been to.  
  • DRF   you are very correct  -  only one way to find out .....
  • I agree that a DS is a must. Took my youngest son a couple of seasons, who was six at the time, and he sat glued to his seat playing his DS. Looked up only once to ask why I had my head in hands. To which I replied, 'Because, Jack, we've just gone two goals down.' Bless him.
  • Yes leave your kiddies at home... i couldnt yell out at one game last season as a young nipper was crying and had his jacket over his head to keep the noise down.
    I thought it was a form of child cruelty.

• DRF is dead right. It would be unusual if at 3 he would want to sit through 90 minutes. Don't drag him along or you will put him off. I was about 10 before I went to my first game.

I'd bring him back some kit from the club shop for now and when he wants to go, never look back. There is always a risk that the other kids will turn his head, and he may well go through a Chelsea or Man U phase but as long as his first matchday experience is with you at the Valley he should be hooked!

• Bryan Couldnt Agree more with that,When i was younger at school it was the whole liverpool/Manu thing, But once my old man took me to Charlton for my first game i was hooked!
  • I went to my first game at 3 and hated sitting there for 90 mins went back at 6 and absolutely loved it and been a season ticket holder ever since  
  • From my experience with a (much) younger brother and my own children I'd say 7 is about the right sort of age. Maybe 6 maybe 8 depending on the attention span of the individual child.  
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2011
    thanks so much for your input lifers! i will have a think about it as he doesnt like loud noise at the moment! both of my kids know the charlton shirt and badge! :-) and one of you said the planes going over the ground he would love watching them lol, also was thinking the family stand would be the best! mite still leave it 2 more years! but also he is a really good behaved boy at the moment so i really dont know! i mean i was 10 then i was taken to s***hurst park for my first game v portsmouth 1-2 and i still cryed coz it was noisey when we scored!! lol
  • I'm taking my oldest to his first game this Saturday. He'll be 5 in a few weeks time. He wants to go but is not a football fanatic like some of his friends. I think the thought of a day out away from his little brother and just with his dad, going on the train has made him very excited about it. Hopefully he can sit still long enough and the new players can provide some entertainment that was missing from much of last season?! I've taken advice from those that have taken children before to make sure I've got some things for him to do to in case he's not interested in the football.
  • I first took my son when he was 5. That was 5 years ago. He was restless, not really interested and wanted to go home long before the end of the game. Last year he really got into it so from personal experience I would say 8 or 9 is about the right age.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm taking my oldest to his first game this Saturday. He'll be 5 in a few weeks time. He wants to go but is not a football fanatic like some of his friends. I think the thought of a day out away from his little brother and just with his dad, going on the train has made him very excited about it. Hopefully he can sit still long enough and the new players can provide some entertainment that was missing from much of last season?! I've taken advice from those that have taken children before to make sure I've got some things for him to do to in case he's not interested in the football.
    A big bag of sweets to munch on when he starts to get bored, pre match whilst sitting in the stand tell him some stuff about a couple of players by their shirt numbers so he has a couple of particular players to look out for and teach him the clapping and songs, oh and a programme for him to spot things in, you should be fine.   
  • Sadiejane thanks for the advice. Some good ideas there. At least I'll have my phone with me. He seems to like Angry Birds so I can also use that as a last resort.
  • Senpai Says: "He wants to go but is not a football fanatic like some of his friends." 
    Translates as: " He doesn't want to go but i'm determined to make him an addick". :-D

I took my eldest to his first game when he was 5, and he was bored silly, wanting to go home only 20 mins into the game. I found that if i was really animated "ooh look, we've got the ball, now we need to kick it in the goal" constantly talking like a cbeebies presenter done the job. I don't think those sitting around us probably enjoyed my commentary style though. and as for the guy sitting directly in front of us with the big le coq sportiff logo on the back of his coat and have my son poke him and shout chicken!. How that man didn't thump me i'll never know.
  • Senpai Says: "He wants to go but is not a football fanatic like some of his friends." 
    Translates as: " He doesn't want to go but i'm determined to make him an addick". :-D

I took my eldest to his first game when he was 5, and he was bored silly, wanting to go home only 20 mins into the game. I found that if i was really animated "ooh look, we've got the ball, now we need to kick it in the goal" constantly talking like a cbeebies presenter done the job. I don't think those sitting around us probably enjoyed my commentary style though. and as for the guy sitting directly in front of us with the big le coq sportiff logo on the back of his coat and have my son poke him and shout chicken!. How that man didn't thump me i'll never know.
    I wondered who that was?  ;0

Now that made me laugh out loud ;-)
  • edited August 2011
    hi, i have a 3 year old son want to take him to his first charlton game but not sure if he is old enough ei would he sit still long enough or cry if crowd sang or we scored! what do other lifers think? when did people on here with kids start taking them and at what age?? big thanks uie2 p.s also have a daughter who 2 but i know shes not reading lol

Don't take him should we get millwall in the cups. Apparently last time that we played them at the valley SE7 was ransacked by marauding Mongol warriors, any Charlton children were paraded skewered on spears, females between 13 & 99 were ravaged, everyone in a red shirt barricaded themselves in the liberal club in a quivering panic & the West stand slept through it all.

Best stick to Orient